PDA

View Full Version here: : Can't align finderscope

Venus88
19-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Hi. I'm having trouble aligning my finderscope. I have a 150EQ starview. I've watched many YouTube videos and all their finderscopes have screws to adjust. Mine does have little nobs but don't seem to do anything. In the manual it says to align the red light but doesn't say how. I'm finding it very frustrating.

Larryp
19-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi Amy
You have a red dot finder on your scope, so there should be 2 screws/knobs to raise or lower it and to move it side to side.
Best to set the scope up in daylight and point it at a distant object, centring the object in the eyepiece. Then turn on your red dot finder bright enough so you can see the red dot in daylight, and adjust the 2 screws so that the red dot is superimposed on the object you are looking at through the scope.
It's much easier doing this during the day.:)

Venus88
19-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks for relying. That is what I have tried to do. The red dot doesn't seem to move.

Larryp
19-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Adjustment on red dot finders is usually done using a screwdriver-are you sure you are turning the correct screws? If the red dot doesn't move when you turn the adjusting screws, perhaps the finder is faulty, in which case you could return it to where you bought it and ask for repair or replacement.

barx1963
19-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Perhaps a quick pic of the finder. There are a couple of different types out there that use different methods to adjust.

Malcolm

Venus88
19-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I've been Turing the nobs but nothing happens :(

barx1963
19-07-2015, 03:24 PM
OK that is not one I am familiar with. It appears to have 3 controls, one presumably to turn it on and 2 to adjust the position. I am assuming you have done all that Larry has already suggested. One of my red dot finders wouldn't line up as I had done a poor job of installing the bracket. So I just tapes a couple of bits of folded card to the dovetail and that got it a bit closer so at least I could adjust it close to the target star. Another idea is that if you can find a star in your eyepiece, how far away from it is the red dot? If it is fairly close, just remember which direction and how far away it is.

Last alternative is buy a new one. I have just purchased one of these http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories/Finderscopes/Orion-EZ-Finder-Deluxe-II-Telescope-Reflex-Sight/1864/productview.aspx and it is excellent and have also used one of these http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories/Finderscopes/Orion-EZ-Finder-II-Reflex-Sight/1863/productview.aspx which also works fine. Only thing is the dovetail base on your scope looks a bit different so may need replacing.

Cheers

Malcolm

Venus88
19-07-2015, 04:17 PM
I had a look online but I'm not sure if they will fit my scope. Hopefully they might be able to send me a new one as I think this one is faulty.

rrussell1962
19-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Silly question, but it's not back to front by any chance?

Venus88
19-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Nope. It's just a piece of crap. Lol

Robert9
19-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Hi Amy,
been following this thread with interest and the thought occurred to me: the red spot should not move when you adjust the knobs, it is the view through the window that should change. If you have centred you scope on say a tree top, as you move the knobs you shoud see the scenery change and the tree top centre in the view-finder behind the red spot. The red spot doesn't move in the field of view, its the field of view that moves.
Sorry if I'm being simplistic.
Robert

SkyWatch
19-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Hi Amy,

It looks like the finder is already at its maximum horizontal adjustment: it is skewed quite a bit to its base. Can you wind it back the other way so it is parallel to the base, and the adjusting thread is then in the middle of its range? You might have to straighten up the base where it attaches to the scope (is it glued on, or screwed?), and then try adjusting with both vertical and horizontal adjustments starting off in the centre of their range.

Good luck,

Dean

Venus88
19-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks dean and Robert. I think because I brought a reasonably cheap scope i got a poor quality finder. All I had to to was slip it in place. The nobs don't adjust anything. I'm calling where I got it from tomorrow to see if I can upgrade. Or ill buy a better one and zip tie it on. Haha

Venus88
19-07-2015, 06:57 PM
But i can see out to sea on my balcony. The scope is awesome. I saw someone catch a fish on their boat