PDA

View Full Version here: : Problem getting my FSQ106 into focus

Spookyer
18-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Following advice I just got a CA-35 adapter and wide tmount adapter for my SBIG STT8300 and FWG8 filter wheel, and a wide mount T for my nikon so I can use both with my FSQ106.

Just tried them out tonight for the first time. The nikon just makes it to focus, the focuser is all the way in except 1/4 of a turn. So that should be okay I am thinking. Unfortunately my SBIG has a slightly longer back focus than the DSLR and doesn't quite make it even with the focuser all the way in. I cannot take anything out of the image train, the CA-35 is simply too long.

I am a bit disappointed these adapters don't work. Why do TAk make the adapter so it barely covers a DSLR and is no good for CCDs with a filter wheel.:mad2:

As mine is an older fsq106 and has the "captains wheel" am I able to take that out and would it help anyway given it is in front of the focuser?

If that doesn't work I will have to go back to T2 extensions and hope the vignetting isn't too bad unless anyone has any better ideas?

LewisM
18-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Brett, I use an OSC ST8300, and have no issues with focus- I simply use a Tak extension tube and the Tak 50.8 adapter and it comes to focus no issue. With a FW, I used the short Tak extension tube and 50.8 adapter. See picture with OSC (the OAG is gone as I prefer the guidescope - without OAG I need the longer extension tube)

Yet you have an INWARD focus issue. Odd. If you take off the CAA (camera angle adjuster), you will get an inch or so extra inward travel. Rotate the camera with the capstan wheel and lock it off. Easy

Removing the capstan wheel achieves nothing, except you will have a focuser on the floor... yes, it holds the focuser body onto the tube.

Spookyer
18-07-2015, 11:22 PM
thanks for the pic. I am not using the CAA, I have one but I have nothing to connect it to downstream. From the 2" compression ring fitting I have the CA-35 and then the wide mount adapter into the filter wheel and that is too much length.