PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion's back!

BilliGoatsGruff
16-07-2015, 07:44 AM
So I thought Orion was on holidays until Spring. Boy, did I get quite a shock when I saw him standing proud in the sky this morning! I might finally get to have a look at the Orion nebula :D :D :D

glend
16-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Yes I noticed it a few nights (mornings?) back when I was packing up after imaging. It does take some dedication at this time of year to get out in the early dark hours to see it and it is really too low still for imaging. Another month and it will be more available (earlier rising and altitude to work with).
But it is the harbinger of Spring so bring on the warmer weather.

BilliGoatsGruff
16-07-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm an early riser, so it suits me fine :) yes, bring on Spring!

ZeroID
16-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Spotted it over the last week or so as I'm about to head off to work. Won't really be accessible for me till about November, I have no eastern horizon, trees and CBD glare.

BilliGoatsGruff
16-07-2015, 11:40 AM
My in-laws live on a property out of town, so it's easily visible from their house :)

Suzy
29-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Hi Billie :),

My favourite patch of sky is Orion and surrounds. I love the Greek mythology associated with that area. For me, it's a sparkling story book across the northern sky.
And I just love viewing the Trapezium with high power! :astron:

C.A.L.
29-07-2015, 08:50 PM
I thought exactly the same thing when I saw it last week! Those first early morning glimpses of Orion rising in the east are a comforting reassurance that spring is finally on the way (just as I get depressed when I start seeing Scorpio rising in the early morning on the opposite side of the year, but hey, can't have one without the other). As I'm not a morning astronomer though, actual observations have to wait until December :-)

The_bluester
03-08-2015, 11:53 AM
I saw him about a month ago. Something had me out of bed at a stupid hour and there he was with his belt just coming over the horizon.

I always enjoy that first sighting for the year. As mentioned above, it gives some hope that the warmth is coming.