PDA

View Full Version here: : My little observatory

daine042
14-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Gday all, here is a couple photos of my observatory. It was built on a very small budget, most of the steel frame work was made from the scrap metal at work which was kindly donated by the boss. All welding and powder coating was done by myself at work. I think the most expensive part was the pine decking. So far I don't think there is any more than $500 in the whole project. It is still a work in progress, need some flashings, another coat of paint, the 12v LED's wired up and possibly a solar panel to charge the batteries. As you can see the back yard is quite steep and being a rental it had to be easily removable (it does help that the owner of the house is into all things astro and has a couple observatories of his own haha). Thanks for looking.

lazjen
14-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Very neat, looks great.

Tinderboxsky
14-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Yes, very smart. I like it.

Cheers
Steve

SadisticSarz
14-07-2015, 06:50 PM
What a very neat idea......Its just like all you need housing for your scope...wooden desk for your laptop a nice belcony easy on easy off.....red light white light and mini weather station its very cool:thanx:

zenith
14-07-2015, 07:16 PM
That is really good. :thumbsup:

Somnium
14-07-2015, 07:34 PM
That is fantastic, great work, I love seeing innovative solutions.

omegacrux
14-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Neat idea , you can be up and running quickly

David

h0ughy
14-07-2015, 09:00 PM
great work - just watch for condensation, you may need a solar ventilation fan (http://www.jaycar.com.au/Ecotech/Solar-Power/Power-%26-Lighting-Kits/Solar-Powered-Vent-Extractor/p/MP4558)

ZeroID
15-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Excellent solution and well executed. :thumbsup:
If I was your landlord I'd be quite happy with it ..

strongmanmike
15-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Rather nifty Daine, excellent, hope you get lots of clear sky to use :thumbsup:

Mike

daine042
15-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys, I do have a bit of a condensation problem but I was hoping to fix that with some form of insulation. Didnt even think to add a ventilation fan, that could work thanks. If I could do it over I would make the deck a little bigger and re design the pier but it will do for now.

alistairsam
18-07-2015, 10:35 AM
hi,

looks great, very similar to what I want to build in the backyard.
are the wheels secured to the rails or is just the weight that keeps it on the rails?

Cheers
Alistair

Kev11
18-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Congrats Daine from another DIY-er. I would endorse the idea of insulation. I found 19mm polystyrene satisfactory for my obs which is probably exposed to more sun than yours judging from the photos. Affix with FAST Liquid Nails. I don't have a fan.
Cheers

GrampianStars
19-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Wonderful setup there
You'll get plenty of nights use from your Obs'
:thumbsup:
I built my Obs' way back in the early 2000's
best thing I ever did

Visionary
19-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi five! Brilliant stuff, affordable and relocatable!

daine042
20-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks again for the positive feedback. The track system is very basic, its just 4 100mm castors with the rubber wheel removed bolted to the shelter. The hub for the castors has a v shape and runs on some downee gate track. The weight of the structure holds it down on the rails and in the closed position it is locked with a couple hasp and staples. The true test of the relocatability will come in the next few weeks. Just get it all set up and we have to move haha.

daine042
20-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Hi guys just thought id give a little update on this thread, I have built myself a new, more robust pier made from an old street lamp pole (free from the scrap metal yard) and mounted it to a much more stable concrete footing. The deck and everything else will be removed from the old site this weekend and should be all installed by Sunday! For all those in and around the Hunter Valley I am truly sorry for the next few weeks of bad weather.

GC - South Aus
30-09-2015, 05:58 AM
G'day Daine

This is great, very unique and different to a lot of the ones you see.

I love the decking and what looks like a sitting bench or perhaps doubles as a table.

Looking forward to seeing it in its new location with the new pier.

Cheers

Gav

astronobob
13-11-2015, 10:45 PM
This a real neat Daine, the same concept Im planning at the moment - not too elaborate and/or expensive but very practical, the advantage of not having to set up and down in priceless in my books :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thomqos
23-01-2016, 10:03 PM
I really like this. I dont't think I want a full on observatory... Just to leave my mount permanently setup & aligned.

Cimitar
26-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Hi Daine,

What a fantastic idea! Well done on the build quality too :thumbsup: Looks awesome and very practical. Hopefully one day I can build something similar.

Thanks for sharing :)
Cheers, Evan

bigjoe
26-01-2016, 02:51 PM
What a wonderfull idea.

I want to do something similar at a property I have at Castlereagh.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers bigjoe.