PDA

View Full Version here: : Good quality Allen Key set

gregbradley
09-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Watching the Paramount MX adjustment videos they mention 5/32 Pro Tip wrench (allen key). These hold bolts in hard to get to places in place while you screw them in.

Does anyone know a supplier of these type of wrench? They are imperial sizes.

Greg.

LewisM
09-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Any decent hardware shop have imperial size allen keys. I buy my oddities from a local tool supplier who have the relly small imperials made in the USA, all the way up to the large one. You can get magentic allen keys too.

The ball end ones are also handy if you need to angle the tool a bit.

RickS
09-07-2015, 01:30 PM
But use with care and only when necessary or one day you'll regret it. I know I did ;)

gregbradley
09-07-2015, 02:12 PM
A similar question.
Does know of a site where you can order imperial stainless steel hex screw of various sizes we often use.
Greg

UniPol
09-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Nepean Boltmaster is the go Greg, see : http://www.nepbolt.com.au/ They also have top quality tools such as the allen key set you are after.

RickS
09-07-2015, 02:29 PM
https://www.smallparts.com.au/

blexxx1769
09-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Look up 'Bondhus Socket Driver' on fleabay. You'll never regret buying them & you can drill a hole thru the handle for a safety loop if reqd. Cheers.

pmrid
09-07-2015, 02:39 PM
I second Rick's note of caution. Those ball-heads can AND DO break off - usually inside the grub screw you're working on and usually they can't or won't come out. I've had to drill more than once.
Peter

LewisM
09-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I am sure there are several good stainless cap bolt/allen hex bolt suppliers in Sydney.

I have a good local one just up the road - only sell stainless, as their prime trade is the marine industry. I bought some M8 x 15's today for securing my guidescope a little tighter on the new FSQ ring plate.

LewisM
09-07-2015, 06:31 PM
I have not had that distinct pleasure yet, though I do have a good set of left hand twist drill bits (better than easy-outs)

RickS
09-07-2015, 07:04 PM
They can also mangle a the head of a difficult to replace screw in a Gerd Neumann Camera Tilting Unit!

Here's a Bondhus web page with a few disclaimers: http://www.bondhus.com/features/balldrivers/ballends.htm

Cheers,
Rick.

GeoffW1
09-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Good point. A lower torque limit for sure.

Cheers

gregbradley
09-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Awesome Steve - thanks. The guy at CNN Fasteners in North Richmond is very helpful although they don't always have Imperial thread items. But he's gotten me several bolts that are handy.

Cheers Rick. I'll check them out.

I'll look that up thanks for that.

Greg

gregbradley
09-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Uh oh. I got some nice Allen Keys this afternoon, the type I was after. They have little ball bearings on a spring in the ballhead that holds the bolt - very handy.

To tighten some bolts though you do need the ballhead otherwise its almost impossible to get the angle needed.

Greg.

Starless
09-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Try these guys:-

https://www.boltsnutsscrewsonline.com

I have been dealing with them for quite a while.
Great service and a good range.:thumbsup:

If you are after something not on their web pages
contact them and ask. They have always done their
best to source stuff for me.

They have no minimum order, you can buy one bolt
if you want.

gregbradley
09-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks Brian. Most helpful.

Greg.

alocky
10-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Interesting to read that some people have experienced the end of the Allen key breaking off. I assume it's due to the thread seizing from corrosion or electrolytic reaction, as there's no reason why anything on a telescope should be coming close to the kind of torque required to break a tool. There are no high pressures or detonations in any of my imaging gear, so rather than treat every bolt like a big end bearing nut, I always 'nip' them up just tight.
Has anyone ever used an anti-seize compound successfully on mounts, filter wheels, etc that they would recommend? Obviously we don't want hydrocarbons out-gassing all over our optics either!
Cheers,
Andrew.

Starless
10-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Your welcome Greg.:)

I'm always happy to recommend good Australian
businesess as there are too many dodgy ones
out there.
I can't speak to highly about these guys,
excellent service. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope they have what you need.