PDA

View Full Version here: : Power issues

codemonkey
21-06-2015, 03:15 PM
I've been running my kit off a 27Ah deep cycle battery for a while now, but since I've started buying more gear that needs powering, I've reached a point where I'm running into issues.

Last night I spent maybe 30min-1hr adjusting alignment and sorting out some issues with plate solving. I got everything going and left it for an hour. When I came back, the last couple of frames had lines through them, PHD had totally lost my guide star and the power light on the mount was flashing. After packing up and getting home, I found got two frames before it went bad, so basically everything was running for no more than 1.5hrs before I had serious issues resulting first in banding in the images, then in serious issues tracking.

The battery was fully charged when I started the night. I'm running the NEQ6, SX Trius, Nautilus filter wheel (via Trius hub) and a dew heater strap. I'm running it all through a 4-port 12V 4-way splitter. The night before I'd run everything without the dew heater for a good 4hrs or so with no problems.

So now I know nothing about batteries but I didn't think dew heaters drew that much power.

Any idea on what's going on here? Do I just need to buy a bigger battery? Is the issue one of not so much the capacity, but the number of things trying to draw power simultaneously, in which case I should be buying more batteries instead of bigger batteries...?

glend
21-06-2015, 04:12 PM
I run my NEQ6 off three 7AH batteries wired to produce 21AH, and never have had a problem, but that's all I run off those batteries. The NEQ6 can use up to 2AH slewing, so my bank can last all night.

As far as dew heaters, dew heater controllers, and stuff like power hubs, etc I believe in using a second supply source. In the field I use a 40AH battery to power the 'other' equipment, including my camera power, heaters, etc.

Sit down and add up the watts required for each device you are using and work out the AH you need for as long as you want to run. Keep in mind that you don't want to discharge the batteries to deeply as it will shorten their life, eve deep cycle one. If you can add a Voltmetre to your battery box that can help watch the state of the battery. Don't let it run down below 12V ever, and for a good safety margin stop it once it gets to 12.3 - assuming it started at 12.8- 13.V.

Eden
21-06-2015, 04:45 PM
G'day Lee,

That heat strap you've got there, is that running directly from the 12v line or do you have it connected via a controller? Is it a Kendrick strap?

codemonkey
21-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks Glen, lots of good advice there!

Hey brett,

It's connected by a controller made by someone on the forum and I had it set to about 1/3 of the way up. I've never used it before, even though I bought the controller and strap ages ago, so I was starting off at 1/3 to see how it went, figuring I'd turn it up before if it didn't seem to work.

I think the strap might be a Kendrick, but I bought it ages ago and I can't remember for sure. I'll have a look tonight when I get up to the paddock and confirm.

Cheers,
Lee