PDA

View Full Version here: : What a Great Evening!

barx1963
18-06-2015, 11:27 PM
A couple of months ago I made contact with the local Scouts here in Colac. We arranged to have an evening with some scopes to give the kids a bit of an intro to astronomy. As luck would have it they were planning on a planetarium visit anyway so the night worked really well as the visit had happened on nthe weekend so it meshed in with what they had been doing.
Any way, Barry Coverdale and I headed down to the Scout hall and setup about 6 PM just a lovely clear skies magically appeared! Spent a couple of hours showing some very excited youngsters Jupiter, Saturn, The Jewell Box, M104, Omega C and a few other wonders. Despite several nearby streetlamps we had a ball.
Thanks to their planetarium visit, lots of the kids had some very good questions about the objects they were seeing. It really was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had in a long while.

Malcolm

BeanerSA
19-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Nice. It's good that the kids had some good questions.

pfitzgerald
19-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Way to go Malcolm.

Given how much time Scouts spend outdoors - and at night, doing what you did will give many of them the impetuous to look up and enjoy the night sky more when they're out and about.

Paul