PDA

View Full Version here: : CGEM replacement worm

Tony_
09-06-2015, 06:12 PM
There is a company in US that makes worms, worm gears etc. for specific mounts and ATM requirements (Aeroquest Machining).
I can get a replacement worm for my CGEM RA for $200 delivered. I have been told I would only need to replace the worm. Apparently they are accurate to about 4 arc seconds peak to peak which is a lot better than I am currently getting. It should improve my unguided images and make guiding a lot easier?
I know some people use ovision worms for losmandy mounts - has anyone ever replaced the worm in a CGEM? Does it make a significant improvement?
Do you think it is worth the cost? I might change the bearings at the same time and it gives me a chance to check out the internals of the mount.

Regards,
Tony.

Visionoz
09-06-2015, 06:51 PM
It is supposed to be better than the standard mass-produced ones from the factory; however I had used them before on an SW NEQ6 Pro and it was only slightly better and the fit was so-so.

Any improvement from the stock standard is always good so YMMV - I would not waste money in this direction if I had to go over it again however put the funds into buying a better mount even second hand.

Seen many others use the stock-standard worms out there with great resulting images as evidenced from those posted here on IIS and elsewhere.

Just MHO only :)

HTH
Cheers
Bill

Logieberra
09-06-2015, 07:11 PM
I'd be weary of those claims... Some of the best mount manufacturers out there, AP and SB, guarantee their PE to be around 7 or so, depending on the particular mount.

garymck
10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
I had a worm from them for a Skywatcher EQ6. Was not as good as the original....

YMMV
cheers
Gary