PDA

View Full Version here: : 'Star Talk' on National Geographic tv

peteradams
07-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Just wondering if this tv program is available to you - and if so, what you think of it.

It's the tv version of Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson's StarTalk Radio show, broadcast from the Hayden Planetarium in NYC, and is advertised as the place "where science and pop culture collide".

There are 2 Science guests on each program. One is onstage in front of the studio audience. The other was interviewed on tape in Dr. Tyson's office, and the taped interview is shown in segments during the program. The taped segments are ok, but I really feel sorry for the studio guest because of all the interruptions.

There's a comedian co-host who continually and quite rudely interrupts the studio guest in order to say something 'funny'. Then of course, the camera pans over to Dr. Tyson who often looks like he's forcing a laugh, and HE adds a remark of his own - to top what the comic said.

The guest politely waits for them to get done joking around, but by then it's often time for a commercial - OR Dr. Tyson literally hijacks the conversation into another direction - OR he immediately introduces a segment of the other guests' taped interview. This is really frustrating when you're interested in what the studio guest was saying.

NatGeo is running 10 episodes.
I watched 7 of them, but will not watch the last 3.

Maybe I'm just too old for these dumbed-down programs. :shrug:

Dealy
07-06-2015, 06:09 PM
I totally agree.

I watched 3 and decided that's enough. I was very disappointed with Cosmos as well.

Kev

raymo
08-06-2015, 12:07 AM
I watched two, and couldn't stomach any more of that puerile rubbish.
I can't imagine how the guests got enticed into appearing on that show.
raymo

inertia8
08-06-2015, 11:38 AM
I think it needs a format change. Dump the comedian and taped interview, replace with live interview and guest, 2 advertising breaks maximum.

The number of breaks is appalling and must be even worse in America as 1 or 2 breaks are edited out by Nat geo aus

lineout
10-06-2015, 01:43 PM
I listen to the podcast & enjoy it. I think a direct translation from a podcast to TV show was a bad idea as it doesn't transfer well.

blink138
13-06-2015, 09:09 AM
it is rubbish!
pat