PDA

View Full Version here: : Extra counterweights for PMX

gregbradley
05-06-2015, 09:50 AM
After reading the thread about not using extension shafts I decided to get some extra counterweights and remove the extension on both my PMX and PME.

The trouble is new stainless steel counterweights for these are very expensive - US$430 = AUD$575 each 20lb weight shipped.

The shaft is 1.5 inches thick. Any suggestions for cheaper weights?

I currently use some weights for gym equipment and the hole was too large and I closed up the hole with some magnetic tape I got from Bunnings. Its fine when its sandwiched between 2 stainless steel weights to lock it in. I suppose it could flex though.

Greg.

Kunama
05-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Would better to get a brass bush machined inside the Gym weight Greg. Any machinist can do it.

Peter Ward
05-06-2015, 10:27 AM
I have one spare PME weight. $A 400.

Joshua Bunn
05-06-2015, 02:43 PM
Weld together 3 lengths of solid square bar cut to length, bore out the middle and stick in a grub screw. Much cheaper.

Bassnut
05-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Wrap up roofing lead strips into a coil, you should have lots of that lying around Greg ;-)

Peter Ward
05-06-2015, 08:15 PM
:lol: But on a $15k mount??? ...might look like cr@p

BTW Solid gold ingots also have a *very* similar density (just three to the left, on the periodic table) to lead.

DavidTrap
05-06-2015, 08:37 PM
EQ8 counterweight and bore out the hole to suit.

DT

rally
05-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Gold is nearly double the density of Lead - 19k kg/m3 Vs 11k kg/m3
Shame they dont sell it by the cc !

I have an extra large weight - I'll need to weigh it but its heavier and bigger than a standard P-ME V1 weight if its of interest.

Rally

gregbradley
10-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the offer. For now I think I will slum it with the gym weights I got and put a lining in the opening to suit the shaft.

Greg.

strongmanmike
10-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Yep! gym weights, ankle weights, scrap metal weights and sticky tape, works a treat :D who cares what it looks like :shrug: :thumbsup:

re your other post :question:....Tak Polar scope for PA (takes 10min), no Tpoint, no PEC and no Pem Pro, synch on one star then places all goto's well on the 694 chip (38' X 30') usually near the centre and guides like the HST :shrug:....not sure I want a robotic mount anymore :scared2:...seems like a big learning curve and heartache to get them up and running well :scared:

Mike
Ps. nah I would like one...just some of you guys sheesh :eyepop: with your trials and tribulations in getting'em to work as perfectly as you all seem to want them to, just scares me :scared: everything of mine works so well as it is I'm scared when that day finally comes I will curse you all :lol: