PDA

View Full Version here: : Recommended Scope for Nebula and Solar System Astro

adzza
04-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I am very new to this, and I am sure this question has been asked many a times, but...

I am looking at buying a telescope for astrophotography (nebulas etc.). Initially I plan on using a DSLR for shots (Canon 350d and 550d, I know they are not great but its a start!). I intend on moving to ccd when I can afford it.

I already have the t-adapter etc which is being used in a really crappy telescope (dad's flybuys Telescope LOL!) at the moment. What I am asking here today is for some recommendations on a telescope and tripod and goto mount for a newbie. After doing some research I know I should be looking for something like the following scope:

A refractor scope
ED APO
72-100mm

I am a network engineer and as such intend on connecting the goto to my pc/tablet, and also setting up remote viewing on the dslr to a tablet, and possibly even the projector inside my house, so the misses can see what I am taking photos of from the warmth of the house. I live on a large block in the hills in Melbourne's outer Eastern Suburbs, with a lot of space so might even build a DIY observatory up the back of the property. I will provide more info on this once I get established, but its nice to have a goal! Also Happy to have other members join me too for stargazing sessions from my deck. I'm about an hour from Melbourne, in Monbulk which should provide for somewhat lower ambient light conditions :)

As far as brands go etc I guess that's where I need your help. At this stage I envisage a budget of around $2,000, which in this game I know isn't much, but I am hoping to possibly pickup a great deal on the forums for around this price, or less if possible.

I am new to this, so not looking to re-mortgage the house to get involved as I always over spend on getting into hobbies (don't we all!), but I do understand you get what you pay for so after a value for money recommendation that will last me a long time.

Any advice is always welcome.

(PS, love the forum, and its members., Everyone appears very neutral and nice, just the way a forum should be!:thumbsup:).

adzza
04-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Ive also been researching and apparently this scope is exceptional value for money, provided you have the room to store it, etc. Would something like this possibly be a better option to start with?

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes-for-Astrophotography/Orion-10-f39-Newtonian-Astrograph-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/344/p/99602.uts?refineByCategoryId=344

graham.hobart
04-06-2015, 04:12 PM
HI mate welcome!
that Orion scope is good value but at f3.9 would be a bugger to collimate if you weren't that confident.
Andrews communications have GSO or SW newts that are about the same or f5 which would be a little better.
You need a decent mount to go with it- like an EQ 6.
What about some of the packages at Bintel like this
http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/Reflector/Bintel-BT200-f/5-HEQ5-Pro-GOTO/1006/productview.aspx
There is a lot of wisdom on this site with these mounts and these type of scopes.
Also have you been scouring the classifieds?
Welcome to the money pit!!
Have fun
Graham

rustigsmed
04-06-2015, 04:12 PM
hi adam,

welcome!

so you were after an ED APO then changed your mind to a 10" reflector? 'Aperture fever' kicked in fast! The mount is one of the most important factors to allow accurate tracking and holding all that weight. Generally people buy a ED 80 or an 8" reflector when starting out.

If you are going over an 8" reflector you will need a NEQ6 at a minimum http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tripods/EQ-Mounts/Sky-Watcher-NEQ6-Pro-GoTo-Mount/97/productview.aspx 8" and down you'd be looking at a HEQ5 http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tripods/EQ-Mounts/Sky-Watcher-HEQ5-Pro-GoTo-Mount/96/productview.aspx

These come up second hand fairly frequently in the IIS classifieds http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9 so keep an eye out.

For astrophotography you'll also need a guide camera with either a Off axis guider or a guide scope - to help your mount stay on target (this allows longer exposures) eg http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotography/Autoguiders/Orion-Mini-AutoGuider-Package/403/productview.aspx

You may also need a field corrector like a coma corrector or field flattener depending on your scope (the one linked would need a coma corrector).

feel free to ask more questions, astrophotography is definitely jumping into the deep end!

Russ

rustigsmed
04-06-2015, 04:16 PM
this would be good, f5 8" newt and cheap (and in Melbourne).

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=133964

* note I don't know the owner and haven't seen the condition

pluto
04-06-2015, 04:16 PM
For a little over $2000 I'd recommend an ED80 on an HEQ5. Or for a little less you could get an 8" newt on an HEQ5. The newtonian will have more light gathering ability but will require a little more fiddling than the refractor.
I would say if you want to do astrophotography then get at least an HEQ5 (not an EQ5). Looks like the HEQ5 is $1500 at Andrews and the ED80 is $1000. Bintel have an 8" f4 or f5 imaging newt for under $500.

That 10" newt will require a sturdy mount, so factor that into the price, and at f3.9 will require spot-on collimation to get good images.

RugbyRene
04-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Greetings Adam & welcome to the forum.

This is a very common question you ask...."Where do I start?"

I recently went through the same process as you. I'm on my second scope (I currently own a Meade 8" LX90) & while it is a good scope was looking for something I could use to photograph nedulae.

After much thought & pleadings to the finance committe I settled on a Sky Watcher Black Diamond ED80 & Sky Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT mount. All up was a little over $3500.

I realise you're on a budget so I would like to echo Plutos recommendation of the ED80 and HEQ5 mount (ther eis the new AZEQ5 mount as well).

The one thing to remember is to start with the mount & work from there. Like building a house, getting the foundation right is the most important thing.

If I can suggest, pop down to Bintel and speak to the guys there. I spent a lot of time in the Sydney store speaking to the staff & I can say they were very helpful.

Anyway best of luck

Slawomir
04-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Hi Adam,

Echoing others; ED80 and HEQ5/AZEQ5 plus a guidscope and a guide camera. Unfortunatelly all new will be close to 3k, but perhaps 2nd hand will be a good option.

I would definitely not recommend a lesser mount than HEQ5, and you will definitely need to guide to acquire satisfying images. A small refractor should be most hassle free, portable and easy to use; that's why ED80 is a good choice.

Good luck and happy shopping!

clive milne
04-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Your best return on investment is an 8 to 10 inch newtownian on an eq6 with a mono, self guided SBIG camera (second hand)

The 80mm Ed has its merits, but it would be fair to say that those benefits are largely in the realm of 'ease of use' rather than actual results.

raymo
04-06-2015, 06:50 PM
If you want a bit more aperture than an ED80 offers, I think I saw a single speed focuser ED100 at Ozscopes for $799.
raymo

adzza
04-06-2015, 08:54 PM
WOW! Thanks for all the information guys. Ill head down to Bintel tomorrow and just browse (certainly too early to buy anything yet until I learn a lot more).

Sounds like my focus needs to be on the mount and not the scope at the moment!