PDA

View Full Version here: : Superb seeing tonight

Tinderboxsky
03-06-2015, 11:10 PM
After what seems to have been an eternity, we are being rewarded with a night of superb seeing, 5/5 and 7/7 transparency.
I have had my best views of Saturn on record despite the nearby full Moon. The disc is exceptionally clear with multiple banding and crisp sharp edges. The Cassini Division is clear and dark and there is obvious variations across the Rings. I had my first hint of the planet's shadow on the rings as we move away from Opposition. Only 3 moons were visible, the others swamped by the Moon. Best views were at 200x. I tried 320x and whilst the image was sharp and clear there was no more detail to see as this is pushing the limits of the aperture at these magnifications.
Turning to Antares, tonight is providing an easy split. Antares is a bright sharp and discreet orange fanta coloured spot and it's companion clear and distinct just outside the faint second diffraction ring at 320x. Cannot see the green most people report. Probably need more aperture. Reducing magnification and the companion was still clearly visible at 150x.
Scope is Vixen NA140SS.

Steve.

MattT
04-06-2015, 09:10 AM
The sky didn't look to bad here in Melbourne last night either. IU didn't have a scope out, but when I got home from work around 11pm it looked sort of ok.
A couple of months ago I split Antares with my 150mm f12 frac and ES 24mm 68º eyepiece giving 75x. The 'green' companion was easy to see, so I don't think your 140mm frac is too small at all.
Matt

goober
04-06-2015, 09:18 AM
I've never split Antares with my 101mm apo. Tried a couple of weeks ago, but Antares was quite low. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have an extra inch of aperture and try again.

SkyWatch
04-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Hi Doug,

Splitting Antares with the 101 APO is probably more a problem of seeing conditions: I have done it a number of times with mine. The other problem may be that the companion is very close to the first diffraction ring in a 4" scope, and this may take a bit of getting used to.
I showed a sceptic this recently (he said he had never seen the companion in any scope), and even he agreed it was visible in the refractor, so have a go! ;)

All the best,

- Dean

Allan
04-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Nice report Steve. I always like reading about peoples successes.

As you noted, I find it fascinating how Saturn's rings brighten considerably a few days either side of opposition, as we get to observe them at an angle with direct sunlight.

glend
04-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Well, tonight probably was not that good here but i was out testing the Skywatch MN190 Mak-Newt visually and was easily able to split Antares.

sn1987a
04-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Not too bad in Perth right now I've got the 28 out in the backyard. Saturn lookin' pretty good, Antares split looks reasonable. There's a high flying chopper doing laps around my house at the moment :shrug:

Tinderboxsky
04-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Another night with excellent seeing and transparency here South of Hobart.

So, thought I would try my smaller ED103S to see what was possible given everyone's comments. The split was easy and clear at 150x and at 200x. Tried 114x but could not detect any clear separation.

Returned to the NA140SS and saw clear separation at 114x and above. Tried 89x but could not see any separation.

The green colour for the companion is still eluding me.

Cheers
Steve

glend
04-06-2015, 11:20 PM
When I split Antares early tonight I was at 90x on the MN190 and the gap was clear with a black channel between them.

goober
05-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Yes, I'm slowly getting back into it after a six year break. I had several attempts at Antares years ago but never managed it. Will keep trying. I understand the delta M and separation is right on the limit of my scope.

Tinderboxsky
06-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Good seeing conditions, Antares at high elevation and patience at the eyepiece are the three keys to success IMHO.

Cheers
Steve