PDA

View Full Version here: : Help please with setting up a new RC-12

Spookyer
30-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Hi all, I have just purchased a GSO RC-12 scope:eyepop:

I am after advice on what I need to buy to fitout the rig.

To consider so far I am looking at:

Tak collimation scope
AP 27TVPR reducer
Moonlite CSL 2.5" focuser with high res stepper motor

I am also going to need a mount, I have a Mach1 which I might get away with but I am planning on having two piers in the new obs I am building so I am going to need another mount so will look at something with more capacity than the Mach1 for the second mount and the RC-12 can go on that.

I would like to be able to use the rig with or without the reducer and so not sure what adapters I would need.

Any comments and advice appreciated.

cheers
Brett

RickS
30-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Congrats, Brett! Sounds like a reasonable collection of gear. The only obvious thing missing is the collection of adapters you'll need to connect it all together :) I presume you'll be self-guiding with the SBIG camera and don't need an OAG?

Cheers,
Rick.

baileys2611
30-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Congrats on the new purchase :thumbsup:

My experience with the GSO RC-12A has been quite positive. All I need is a string of clear nights to actually start taking some photos and I'll be a happy chappy but this winter is turning out to be a cloudy one :cloudy:

Some on these forums have a great amount of experience setting these scopes up. They are fantastic.

My rig uses a Paramount MX which handles the weight really well. I can thoroughly recommend the MX. Have not handled an MXII but I hear it's an improvement on the MX with better motors - so I'd recommend that too.

Likewise I used a Tak collimating scope and that has made collimation so much easier - takes a bit of experimenting to begin with but after your first two attempts you'll be collimating with ease.

I use a 2" Moonlite with normal stepper - no need for the high res for me because you can move the focuser in micro-amounts with TheSkyX software - might be different if you are using something else but it works really very well for me.

Re the reducer - I hear that Paul Haese is experimenting with GSO to get a 3" reducer working - but I have heard some very good things about the AP 2" also. 80mm back focus is good.

Something to consider - which I haven't wrapped my head around yet - is if you want the reducer embedded inside the Moonlite (they do a version that you can do this with) so that as you move focus back and forth, the reducer moves with the focus but can be seated closer to the front of the Moonlite (i.e. closer to the back plate of the scope). This helps reduce the amount of spacers you need in order to achieve prime focus. But there's possibly an argument for putting the reducer closer still to the back-plate. Like I said, haven't turned my eyes to reducers yet.

Oh another thing - it was recommended to me to get an AstroZap light shroud - which is actually a very important accessory, far less frost and dew on the secondary and primary with this over the scope. Light pollution is neither here nor there for me (lucky), but dew and frost and not good where I am.

The scopes come with plastic dust covers for the primary and secondary, no need to buy anything additional there.

The GSO comes with a collimating ring as standard now by the way.

Here's how I set mine up on my mount: http://www.skyslab.info/guan-sheng-optical-12%E2%80%B3-carbon-fibre-truss-tube-ritchey-chretien-part-two/

Here's the collimation setup for me: http://www.skyslab.info/collimating-the-gso-12-rca/

You can see from the second link - I've had to add all the extension rings bar 1 on the back plate before my Moonlite - the scope has an awesome amount of back-focus!

Exfso
30-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Paul Haese is the Guru on these, he will almost certainly see this thread and offer assistance.

pmrid
30-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Brett, the RC-12 weighs in at 21-23 Kgs depending whether you have the truss or closed tube. Add some bits and pieces and you'll certainly see 30 Kgs.

But that is well within the range of an EQ8. My experience with these has been nothing but positive.

Peter

Spookyer
30-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi Rick, yes will self guide with the SBIG at this stage.

Simon, thanks for the information. I have bought the steel tube version, not the nice flash truss version you have. Great pics on your site thanks.

Not sure how I am going to get all these adapters and spacers and reducers sorted.

Spookyer
30-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Yes, was hoping Paul might see the thread, have pity on me and chime in and point me in the right direction. I have only had a refractor so am a bit lost with these "high tech" mirror scopes.

Hi Peter, yes an EQ8 may do the job for me. I might fantasise about an AP1100 for a while but an EQ8 seems more likely when the all important budget is considered.

Paul Haese
30-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Now, let's see.

Yes Astrozap shroud is a must. I found the contrast was much improved by using one.

Next Kendrick secondary dew heater. You will need to install it inside the secondary assembly. There is a thread I did here about doing that.

The flattener I have ben working with is not working too well for me and I am through buying adapters for it. However I get nearly 85% of the field corrected using it at present. So I am not prepared to recommend that one yet.

I think that reducer might actually vignette you have there Brett but it is worth trying.

I am using the MX but I have contemplated using my ME instead, but that means moving both scopes and I don't really want to do that at this stage. However, the MX seems to handle it ok. I am sure an EQ8 would be more than capable but I cannot tell you anything about them.

A very healthy level of patience is needed too. Be very careful with collimation. Feel free to PM me about any aspect of these scopes.

baileys2611
31-05-2015, 12:25 AM
No problems, hopefully the back plate is the same.

Moonlite sell their focused with the right adapter -117mm x 1mm. Contact them before you buy, they will guide you honestly. Go to precise parts in the U.S. and play around with the site before you buy, they are also very helpful if you contact them, but I ordered a Takahashi to t thread adapter from them to get the tak collimating scope to the right thread and it worked.

Re the mount, EQ8 will work well. Bintel in Sydney or Melbourne are the right place to buy from.

For me, the important thing to remember with a more complex scope is to take things slowly, don't rush, but do be specific about what you need help with because there will be a few things that you might want to ask about.

Logieberra
31-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Here's my experience with them. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=1178851#post117885 1
Some mod required, but lovely scopes all the same :)

RickS
31-05-2015, 11:10 AM
I've used Precise Parts quite a few times and they do a great job with custom adapters. Note, however, there's an off-the-shelf adapter that will mate the Tak Collimating scope to T-thread: Borg #7423 (http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/.../html/7423.htm)

Cheers,
Rick.