RugbyRene
29-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Sigh........better start saving.

Ryderscope
29-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Noooh - not more toys that we simply must buy :eyepop:

glend
29-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Past history shows that astro models do not sell in numbers sufficent to justify the development of separate models - the 60Da for example. This new model, is a rumour at this point. It's being discussed over on the Cloudy Nights forum and probably others as well. Note it is not cooled, so for it to attract some buyers it will need to show outstanding low noise performance compared to cooled DSLR alternatives. So ok its full frame, but OSC, minus the blue cast filter and may offer daylight use through software settings, let's see what actually comes to market.

DavidTrap
29-05-2015, 05:53 PM
I processed a stack of thirty 36 megapixel shots from my D800, along with 30 dark frames, on an iMac Retina (reasonably powerful). Took about half an hour to batch process and stack in PixInsight.

Make sure you order a grunty PC with your full frame Astro DSLR.

DT

sharpiel
29-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Forgive my ignorance here...what exactly does "full frame DSLR" mean dimensionally?

skysurfer
30-05-2015, 05:16 AM
They should after Nikon announced the D810A.

I guess that the 6d will be succeeded by an eos 6 Mk2 and there will be a pre-modded EOS6a based on the new version of the 6Mk2.
Then it is much cheaper than the Nikon and the current 6d is very popular in AP as it has low noise and is affordable.
So a pre-modded version of its successor would be an option.

gregbradley
30-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Full frame is around 36mm x 24mm.

If its the 50 megapixel camera then the file sizes would be horrendous to process.

Interesting to see what changes Nikon made to the 810a. Obviously there is a market here as Nikon is moving into the area held by Canon.

I am sure its more than just bragging rights.

I don't how well these astro models stack up against a straight Baader conversion though. Perhaps someone can post about that.

As far as I can tell the only difference is a more Ha friendly filter on the sensor.

What would be cool is the ability to do exposures longer than 30 seconds without using bulb mode. I don't know why they all do that. Olympus is the only one I know of that doesn't.

Also Oly has that great view it as its being taken feature where you can see the building long exposure on the LCD as its being taken. That could help in judging the ideal exposure length.

In general sensor, read noise, ADC noise and noise overall seems to be falling as newer models come out. So it means the DSLR will still have a strong place in astrophotography in the future.

Greg.