PDA

View Full Version here: : Not Another Scope? Mak-Newt Arrives

glend
22-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Yes, Lord help me, I've added to the collection. My Skywatcher MN190 Mak-Newt arrived yesterday. I've had my eye on it for some time and did all the research, looked at alternatives, priced Intes-Micro, etc. I checked out owner comments and threads on all the forums, looked at the images on Astrobin, etc.
Reviews are here:

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/guides/swdm190.asp
http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/89.pdf

Orion had a version of this scope for some years but it seems to have disappeared now.

The Mak-Newt is, I believe, an over-looked astrograph variant that delivers supposed large APO performance for much less cost. Faster than most at f5.3, Coma free to the edges, no need for a field flattener, No diffraction spikes due to the secondary being mounted on the corrector plate, and amazing contrast - so the owners say.

Yes it is heavy, compared to say a 8" newt but that's due to the Schott glass corrector at the front, and the more robust construction to handle the weight. However, it comes in about the same weight as my 10" imaging newt, so no problem for the NEQ6. People will say it takes forever to cool down but I have a solution for that with a fan mod coming up.

Spent some time cleaning, and collimating. Why you say? Supposed Skywatcher quality seems to have slipped a little. There were a few little issues on shining a torch down the tube: dirt and what looked like a few metal machining shards inside the closed tube and on the back of the corrector plate, dirt or some sort dried rinse agent on the primary leaving blotches. Oh and it was way out of collimation. Send it back you say, well yes I thought of that but then I lose a week getting it replaced and would the next one be any better, the problems could be easily fixed by a cleanup. Still it was disappointing to open up a box supposedly sealed at the factory and find those issues - Skywatcher you listening?

Anyhow it's all fixed up now, and collimated.

So blame me for the rain on the east coast.

rustigsmed
22-05-2015, 05:14 PM
nice one Glen, I don't know why they aren't more popular!

Cheers

Russ

Eratosthenes
22-05-2015, 06:00 PM
$$$$$ Glen??

astroboof
22-05-2015, 06:43 PM
A most interesting scope. All the best and have fun with it.

I am of the same mind with most scopes I buy- pull it apart and start from scratch, including better flocking. Unless its to difficult or costly. Once apart, its amazing to see how much improvement can be made simply. Only problem is it can be time expensive.

Cooling a mak-newt! Have to think creatively there!

glend
22-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Well I think I know the answer to that - its the price. If you look at the cost of an 8" imaging newt and add on the cost of a coma corrector like the Baader MPCC you have a low cost imaging setup.. With the Mak-Newt of the same mirror size the cost is substantially higher - I think that stops the wide spread adoption of these great scopes. The Mak-Newt is stunning visually with the pin point stars, flat field, great contrast, and true colours of a 6" APO refractor but with the bonus of a fast f ratio in a long focal length, at a cost about 1/3 that of the 6" APO. Price varies here in Australia - normal advertised retail seems to be from $1999 to $2300 but you can negotiate a lower price in the right circumstances. I've seen them as low as $1699 for the older single speed focuser version being run out by online outlets. its a niche item there has not been much discounting up to now because the volume isn't there. Hopefully this will inspire some people to have a look at this design, and with volume comes lower prices (to a point - it will never be as cheap as a normal newt)..

glend
22-05-2015, 07:26 PM
The Skywatcher MN190 has a removable circular plate on the rear of the mirror cell backplate which is tapped for a fan that has 70mm screw spacing. The Orion accessory fan will fit exactly. If you set the fan to be a pull fan on the back it will draw air down the tube and out the back. There is no way to get air in the top of the tube other than the focuser tube, so that will have to be left uncorked to get the flow through. I have another plan to put a blower fan on the focuser if needed. This will accelerate cool down but probably be useless when imaging as the focuser will be occupied. Alternatives would involve cutting into the tube to install a boundary air fan across the mirror or corrector and it would need an exhaust port so I will not be doing that. The corrector will be ok with a dew heater strap and dew shield like any SCT would use.

FlashDrive
22-05-2015, 08:36 PM
These are a nice unit also...although 152mm size f/4.8 ... nice wide field views.
Another nice Mak-Newt' available....
These retail for ~ $1200.00 from AEC.

Nice Scope you have there Glen...:thumbsup:
Sorry ...don't mean to hi-jack your thread...Mak-Newt's give very good views as you say.

Col....

glend
24-05-2015, 09:43 AM
I have completed first light testing and am very happy with the star test (perfect concentric rings) and visual observation of Saturn at opposition. The detail, contrast, and colours were just great. Even at just 114x I was able to clearly see the ring gaps, colour gradients in the planet, and the colour from Titan. Seeing conditions prevented me going to higher magnification at that test but will push it higher later. Very happy so far.

FlashDrive
24-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Well done Glen .... it's great when ' things ' come together.
A sense of achievement and satisfaction ...:thumbsup:

Col....