PDA

View Full Version here: : Jonsonian Telescopes / EQ Platform No more.

netwolf
20-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

Have heard that these platforms and popup dob telescopes will not be made any more, reports on eq platform yahoo groups indiacte Sam Johnson is leaving the buisness for a full time job. As such JMI have also discontinued the rebadged Nightrider line of platforms. I wonder what will happen to the patented design of this, if someone else can maybe now make them. Also wonder what Bintell will now do with this product.

This is a pitty as this was a great platform and the only one designed to work in most latitudes.

The problem in my opinion with this is and the Tom O equatorialplatforms is that they are both quiet expensive and more justifiable for a larger Dobsonian scope, than for a smaller budget dobsonian.

I also belive that this

Regards

iceman
20-09-2006, 10:01 AM
I think I heard at the last new moon party that Bintel won't be selling them anymore. I could be wrong and am prepared to be corrected.

I tried one a few months ago at a new moon party, and I wasn't a huge fan of them. They sat up much higher and therefore were a more unstable than my round table platform. The johnsonian had some nice features, but for the price it's not one i'd choose.

netwolf
20-09-2006, 10:17 AM
your right Mike i saw one at Bintel and i was surprised by its height which is not clear in the pictures of it on the web. And yes cost is another factor that would put it out of reach for most budget minded.

Regards

BC
21-09-2006, 08:29 AM
We travelled to Sydney a couple of months ago and I visited Bintel's new shop to have a look at these platforms. They had none in stock and said they would not be getting any more. They said they were looking into the round table platforms and mentioned a certain Mike Salway (and IIS) as having produced some very good images using such a device. I remain interested.

iceman
21-09-2006, 08:35 AM
ooh that is interesting.. Brian does great platforms and it would be good to have a local reseller. May help in reducing shipping costs.

rogerg
21-09-2006, 10:37 AM
I know someone who has one of the Johnsonian platforms for his 15" dob. I've never liked it. The construction appears very dodgy, and this person has had to replace the motherboard at least once, I think twice. Also there is poor design in several aspects, such as the cable between motherboard and top platform/dec motor not having a easy plug, so what happened to this guy is the cable has got ripped out of the motor (hard to see what's going on when you're packing up in the dark, things need to be clear and easy).

I'm trying to find a replacement stepper motor for him at the moment and in the past have re-soldered the battery cables on (they came off) and resoldered some other stuff.

Also it amazes me how much aluminium is in the thing, there must have been almost no profit on it, because the thing consists of so much solid and honeycomb aluminium.

To be honest, considering the only one I have seen, I'm not surprised he has given up on the business.

Still though, it is a shame that someone/anyone has to give up on their choice of a business, their dream of making something successful, and go back to a "9 to 5" or whatever it might be.

Roger.

netwolf
22-09-2006, 01:57 AM
I was also sad becasue i dreamed of geeting one of his bigger popup scopes. Those things are awesome dobs with the best portability i have seen in any scope. They did come at a hefty price tag though.

Regards.

snowyskiesau
22-09-2006, 02:31 AM
The web site http://www.johnsonian.com (http://www.johnson.com/)no longer has a home page. There is a cached page on Google saying