PDA

View Full Version here: : Digital Compass at Bargain Price

ballaratdragons
19-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I was at our Ballarat Aldi Store today getting the kids a whole stack of Munchies (it's school holidays here at the moment) and I accidently came across the Ascot Digital Compass. I have seen these on the net before and in ebay etc. They usually go for about $35-$55. You can set them to TRUE North/South too.

It gives True & Magnetic Direction, Temp, Time, Stopwatch for Photography etc.

Aldi has them for $19.95!!!!! So obviously I bought one. Works great!

Race out to Aldi and get one!

Here is the exact item on Oztion for a 'Buy it Now' price of $45.
http://www.oztion.com.au/-ASCOT-DIGITAL-COMPASS---NAVIGATION-AID--LOTS-MORE---NIB/auction/448239.aspx

acropolite
20-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Looks like a good buy Ken. I have a digital compass and have found it needs to be dead level before giving accurate results, I'll be curious to see if yours has the same traits. :thumbsup:

g__day
21-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Any idea of both the pointing and timekeeping accuracy? From the readout on the compass it looks to give a readout to a degree (many cheap ones only give you direction if 5 degree increments). I wonder if its timekeeping is better than +/- 1 second a day?

ballaratdragons
21-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Phil, this one seems to work fine even on a slight angle. The instructions say to use it horizontally but It gave no variation when tilted.

Without sounding like their salesman I can assure you that I have no idea to it's accuracy, but it has a 'Calibration' mode.

Yes, it is in single degree increments. The Compass actually shows direction using 3 different methods at the same time!!

To correspond with True Cardinal Points (as on a map) you can set in a Declination angle to align for + East or - West.

It also has an 'Error' message if the Earths Magnetic Field is distorted in the area it is being used.

As for time accuracy, so far the time is still matched to my computer.

The Thermometer has a +/- 1 degree accuracy.

I have no idea as to the actual quality of this product but $19.95 for a $35 - $55 product I ain't complaining. All I know is mine works well, and it will come in very handy. :thumbsup:

ving
21-09-2006, 02:58 PM
is the screen backlit so you can read it at night?

h0ughy
21-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Ving also wants to know if it comes with fluffy dice, a foxtail aerial and woofers...........:P :D . yep i have one, well actually 2, i thought I lost the one I bought, so then bought another one from aldi last year, then found the first one in a bag my son has. he still plays with it. good to go!;) :thumbsup:

ving
21-09-2006, 03:24 PM
you answer sir hough-a-lot is most ambiguous... is that a yes or no :confused:

spudrick
21-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes Ving it has the backlight in a soft blue and my one has all the Extras that Houghy wanted

ving
21-09-2006, 04:16 PM
hahahahaha!!! i'll have to get one :)

ballaratdragons
21-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Mine is a slightly different shape to Terry's. But same item :thumbsup:

The Blue backlighting in it isn't annoying which is good. Doesn't seem to wreck my dark adaption.

rogerg
21-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Interesting, I've never heard of a digital compass. Do they use GPS to acquire the bearing and time ? Are there ones that point to celestial N/S vs magenetic N/S ?

I need a new compass, I'm wondering if this is a good choice. My old one is cheap and anoys me that it's so easily affected by metal and electromagnetic objects. Put it under the telescope tripod and it won't know N from E.

Thanks,
Roger.

h0ughy
21-09-2006, 07:38 PM
:thumbsup:

acropolite
22-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Roger, these devices use an electromagnetic sensor called a flux gate to detect magnetic north. Here's a simple explanation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluxgate_compass).

Exfso
25-09-2006, 01:01 AM
These look great, nice find, do you know if they have any left?

Nexus6
25-09-2006, 11:51 AM
It depends where you live.. I bought one on Friday in the North Sydney store....

snowyskiesau
26-09-2006, 12:37 AM
FWIW: I bought one today at North Sydney and they still have some left.

gel
26-09-2006, 04:48 PM
It works goddammit - got mine from aldi at warringah mall plus a 2 year warranty-wierd but true

Astroman
26-09-2006, 07:04 PM
aldi? never heard of them, what do they sell besides the compass? Trying to find a supplier here in Adelaide.

ballaratdragons
26-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Andrew,

Aldi is a German Supermarket chain that has stores all over the world and they are spreading across Australia too. Very cheap on just about everything!

They mainly sell groceries (their own brand only) but they also sell electrical items and a bit of everything else.
http://www.aldi.com.au/

zillah
23-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I just came across your thread while I was searching google.

Could you please update me how is the compass that you had bought it from Aldi,,,,Are you happy with it ?

Could you please post the picture for that compass, because the link that you had posted says : "Sorry! This listing cannot be found.".

I will try to contact Aldi and see if they have got more in the stocks

Thanks

Starkler
23-03-2008, 01:17 PM
How do you sight with it? Is it going to be any more accurate than a basic orienteering style compass you can get for around $20?
I ask because i tend to avoid battery powered gizmos where a non powered one will give a good enough result, ie bathroom scales.

citivolus
23-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Bring out your dead! (posts) :lol:

Starkler
23-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Lol oops!

No more reviving old threads :whistle:

citivolus
23-03-2008, 09:17 PM
I have often wondered the same thing, though, with those compasses, as there doesn't seem to be an obvious alignment reference on them. What good is 1 degree accuracy if you can't figure out just where on the case that degree is to be read out? Why can't they build them like a normal compass with straight edges?

Gargoyle_Steve
24-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Unfortunately both photos posted previously of the 2 "variants" are showing the unit in time/date display mode and not compass mode.
(My compass, and camera, are at home and I'm not, otherwise I would have rectified this situation by adding a pic.)

I have the variant that is shown in spudricks post, when in compass mode from memory you get four of those "block" sections you can see in that image circling the screen come up, one dead top of the screen and one a bit either side, then a fourth at the deadbottm of the screen. It is possible to gain a site line using the 2 blocks top and bottom, though I agree 1 degree accuracy isn't really aided by the case/display type. Perhaps thats why these sell so cheaply, but having said that for all normal purposes I've used it for so far it has proved adequate.

If your doing serious navigation somewhere remote and isolated where the difference between 1° and "a couple of degrees" is critical - and you're relying a $20 chain store electric compass gizmo - then you deserve to get lost!
:P

For other stuff these are a fun and useful gadget! I personally like the temperature display when out observing, the attached neck strap allows me to hang it over the focussor of my scope and get an idea of how cold it is "rght there" where I'm observing.

citivolus
24-03-2008, 04:14 AM
I have an old two way radio with built in electronic compass, and it was never really that useful for me due to the lack of a frame of reference. Where is North? Roughly up, I guess. In the context of using these with a board to align a leg on your scope with the SCP, you are left without an accurate reference. If your mount only adjusts 3 degrees either side of your initial setup, every little bit helps. I ended up lifting my mount, scope, and all the other night to get a better alignment. I think that is something like 90Kg in my case.

Phil
24-03-2008, 08:29 AM
I got one in my watch works good for me. It also has
temp, Bar.
Phil

KG8
24-03-2008, 09:14 AM
They represent what we call “the diminishing returns of technology”.
Accurate to 1-degree (allegedly) but with no method of transferring this accuracy to a map or up a string to a telescope mount. A good $60 orienteering compass with 2-degree steps and an arrow pointer will serve you much better for astronomical purposes I think. I use one and never fail to get the octans group in polarscope. :thumbsup:

gman
27-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey Phil,
You are the only other person I know who owns a Casio with the works.
Yours looks like the Sea Pathfinder.
I own the titanium ProTrek model
Has a compass, altimeter , tempreture and baromter as well as the normal digital watch functions.
Great watches.

Phil
28-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi Grant i have the Sea Pathfinder. Like you say great watch. Not cheap but.
Phil

gman
28-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Phil,
You are right. They are not cheap.
I bought mine in Hong Kong as a Xmas present to myself - saved about $150 au doing so
Probably the best watch I own.
Highly recommended

MrB
03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
How did you go?
I heard somewhere that Aldi is opening in Perth soon(maybe already?) and is also looking to open in Adelaide, maybe try ringing the Aldi head office to find out when/where...

Peter Bodiam
31-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I have a Ascot Digital Compass ex Aldi but have lost the setting up instructions, can anybody help me or email copy of instructions to me? it would be appreciated, thank you

Kevnool
31-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I,m in the same boat never heard of aldi ?

tjc31690
19-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi There

I have just bought an Ascot Digital Compass but it didn’t come with the instructions.
Does any out there have a copy of the instruction?? Could you please email it or post it?? It is driving me nuts not being able to configure my new compass….

Many Thanx
Tone

astroron
19-01-2009, 11:35 PM
:hi:Tone,:welcome:to iceinspace:)
Is this the one you want?
Cheers:thumbsup:

Clarry
20-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I've posted this before but I'll do it again for those who are having trouble finding this Ascot Digital Compass.
I bought this one http://members.optushome.com.au/clarry/2588589069_0e592ba03b_b.jpg on eBay for $15 delivered, some time ago. It's not an Ascot but it does a bloody good job. I've tested it by looking up the azimuth of a celestial object on Stellarium then using the compass to get that bearing and sure enough it's always within a degree or two of the target. I have marked out a line on my Dob base that is directly parallel with the cradle, then I place the compass on that line ensuring that red marks top & bottom line up with the new line. Works for me.

gaa_ian
21-01-2009, 12:08 AM
This page all goes back to E-bay shops .... but a few good ideas here
http://www.digitalcompass.com.au/

Soulman
28-06-2009, 11:47 PM
I have the same problem i.e missing instructions. Did anyone have any or can someone tell me how to set the date and time etc?

:whistle:

Soulman
28-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the posted instructions, all sorted now.