PDA

View Full Version here: : Cosmos

speach
08-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Just finished watching Cosmos. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. It was long on CGI, short on facts, very poor animation. It's only redeeming episode was the last on climate change. It was nothing like Carl Sagan's in his he gave us a view of the universe.

Chif
08-05-2015, 04:23 PM
I think as far as space goes, there wasn't a whole lot. There were some great parts on the earth itself, and the history of science. I enjoyed the episodes about stars, and will be re-watching so I can take more in.

It would have been nice if the series were longer, and we got to hear more about space itself, and perhaps our solar system.

BeanerSA
08-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Personally I really enjoyed this series, but if you are looking for a bit more meat just with regards to our Universe, check out "The Universe", "Voyage to the Planets" which is available in a US and AUS version! And, "How the Universe Works". All are available at the usual sources :innocent:;)

Eden
08-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Even though the Sagan version was filmed in the early 80's, so much of it is still very relevant today and I think it will be some time before anything comes close to it. I think the lack of involvement by Sagan himself has a lot to do with the lukewarm reception that the new version has received, something that Anne Druyan alone cannot make up for.

inertia8
09-05-2015, 03:49 PM
I liked it and wonder if the cgi is used to help capture the attention of kids? I didn't mind the cgi or the cartoons tbh.

Chif
09-05-2015, 04:38 PM
I bet it helps capture a lot of peoples attention. My fiance absolutely loved it, had it been simply packed with information and little special effects, I wonder if she still would have liked it.

inertia8
14-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Just picked up the original cosmos 7 disc set with 5.1 sound on fleebay.

Admittedly, I've not seen the original. I also grabbed the new one whilst at it so I can watch it again.

Eratosthenes
15-05-2015, 09:18 PM
I grew up on Sagan's Cosmos series....

I particularly like the Eratosthenes episode where Sagan describes the first documented scientific experiment - the birth of the scientific method in about 190 BC.

Eratosthenes was not only curator of the Great Library in Alexandria he was also known as the Beta man - the thinker who was second best at everything his did.

inertia8
16-05-2015, 12:06 AM
I'll begin watching the original this weekend then, got a bad cold at the moment so may as well.. looking forward to it.