PDA

View Full Version here: : Gso 16" rc

rogerg
04-05-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm curious - what ever happened to this scope? I know BINTEL list it, as does Andrews and a few other international retailers - but there's been absolutely no mention of anyone buying one other than this IIS thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=119776) which has long since been dormant.

Did it come out just at the time everyone lost their disposable income post-GFC and so there's been absolutely no take-up?

It's rare to find after this amount of time so few search results regarding a product on Google.

:shrug:

Roger.

g__day
04-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Andrews now seems to be focused on (pun intended):

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

RC-16A 16" f/8 astrograph w/M-LRC focuser!
All-new RC carbon fibre truss-tube astrograph

Resolution of 0.29' (arc-seconds). Weighs 37kg.
Requires mount with 45kg. minimum capacity
Compare to RC16-A f/8 @ A$6999
In stock!

Spookyer
04-05-2015, 09:06 PM
"Beyond Amazing Value" I reckon

glend
04-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Read through the Andrews 16" GSO thread that was updated yoday by Paul H, it will tell you everything you need to know.

rogerg
04-05-2015, 09:39 PM
:question:

Most of that thread is over a year old. If Paul's using a 16" then is he the only one? ... because I can't find evidence of others. Paul's gallery doesn't mention RC16, only RC12 ... I'll ask him on that thread :)

For what seems like such good value wouldn't you expect to see a few pictures pop up around the place from these scopes?

RobF
04-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Just a general observation - at Qld Astrofest for last couple of years, really haven't seen an explosion of RCs in attendance. I had expected them to make more of an impact on the imaging community. Still lots of refractors about.

They do look like fantastic value. Have a mate with an RC12 that time unfortunately usually prevents putting through its paces. Seems very capable scopes.
Dave (naskies) had AO running on his RC8 1-2 years ago and was producing some gobsmacking stuff....

None of this any help Roger in your quest to be educated on the 16" RCs.....

glend
04-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Maybe Paul H has the 12"., I can't remember. Optically they shouod be similiar. The msin issue is probably the weight of the 16" puts people off.

Paul Haese
04-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Hi Roger,
You are right I only have a 12 at present. There are one or two 16's around but I seem to be the most active RC imager at present. I have considered getting a 16" but with work going dry I have decided to wait. The 16 would really suit my needs and it comes with an 18 point mirror cell support (or it might be a 16 point) as well as the new updated back assembly.

I don't think an RC is really good as a portable rig really. The mirrors could move and hence why refractors remain prominant at astro camps.

rogerg
04-05-2015, 10:47 PM
Thanks for clarifying Paul :thumbsup:

I've often considered the 16" also but haven't wanted to bite the bullet until I see actual images from one (don't want to buy a lemon, the first lemon) and yes financial times are not what they once were, so that combined with the increase from original price of $4999 to $6999 I am a few grand short at the moment. But I'm enjoying dreaming of the possibilities briefly again.

I'm guessing the market for this scope must be very small at the moment. It still surprises me there's no images out there taken through one. That I can find.