PDA

View Full Version here: : Serial to Ethernet converter help

kinetic
02-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased one of these units from Jaycar, an XC-4134 (http://www.jaycar.com.au/IT-Products/Connectivity/Computer-Connectivity-Specialty-Products/Serial-to-Ethernet-Converter/p/XC4134), for a project where I need to talk bi directionally
to a remote RS485 device via ethernet over my local LAN.

Firstly, I can't seem to find the unit at all on my LAN until I turn off Windows firewall. That seems to make sense.

When I turn off Windows Firewall I can see it using a test IP program
that came with the unit.
That program reports the device at 192.168.0.10 as documentation says it should be (default).(screen shot 1)
Why do I need to turn off the firewall to see it?
I can see all of my IP cameras, for example, as soon as I plug and play those?

When I run ipconfig I get: (screen shot 2)

My PC IP is 10.0.0.26 and my gateway is 10.0.0.138 (router/modem)

The quick setup guide then suggests going in to LAN properties and
changing the IP of the device.
It is this step that I'm not sure of. System is Win7 btw.
After a few tries with what the quick start manual suggests
I get an IP conflict message. So I reset it all back.

Has anyone had success connecting to one of these devices?

I have read a few Whirlpool threads about them and they all seem to be temperamental to get going.

thanks in advance ,

Steve

Nico13
02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Hi Steve,
There is a settings window that allows you to accept devices through the firewall without turning it off.
I recently had the same issue with my home made CNC router as it's driven via a LAN card.
I'm at work at the moment so can't look up the instructions on how to get past it but it is quite a simple operation.
I'll check back tomorrow and if someone else hasn;t answered it for you I'll post the info.

Nico13
02-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Just found it on my Ipad,
Type firewall into a windows explorer search box (top right) of the window and it should show in the results of the search the Firewall icon and under that a link to Allow programs through the firewall so you don't need to turn it off.

Follow the link and add the name of the test program that you saw when the firewall was off to the list of accepted progams and you should be in.

Hope this helps.

iborg
02-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Hi Steve

If you have trouble finding the firewall as Ken suggests, try 'Start', 'Settings', 'Control Panel' 'Windows Firewall'. Hopefully, doing as Ken suggests will get you going.

If not, then maybe someone else who has actually used this, lets you know exactly what needs doing.

In the meantime I have looked through the manual and I suggest the following.

I think what you need to do, is turn off Windows firewall (pg 18)
Run etm.exe (pg 18), which I think is the program you used for screen shot 1.

Go into the 'Config' menu and select 'IP address' (pg 19)

Type in an address such as 10.0.0.XXX where XXX is 0 to 255, but, NOT the same number as something already in use. In your case I would pick say 222, as the two numbers you say are in use are 26 and 138. ie 10.0.0.222.

Press the 'OK' button, and wait for the screen to refresh (a few seconds, pg 20)

Looks like you can also do this by typing 192.168.0.10 into a web browser and accessing the device that way. Just be carefull that you remember what IP address you give it. You are likely to lose the device connection in the web browser and have have to use the new IP address to access it again.

I think changing the IP address puts the device 'inside' your firewall.

Judging by a couple of things I think I noticed, don't put a password in until you have it all working.

Also, it looks like you can do a factory reset easily enough, pg12, 23, 31.

Good luck

kinetic
02-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys !!!!!:thumbsup:

I did as you suggested Ken, and made the Ethernet manager program an
exception for the firewall.
Ran ETM, reported IP as 192.168.0.10 as before.
Then I changed the IP in config, as Philip suggested, to 10.0.0.222.

Double clicking on the new IP went straight to a browser and logged in! I haven't been able to get to that login before....

All sorted!

So you can see that was half my trouble, the next part was to change
the serial from RS-232 to rs-485 2 wire comms....all done!

From problem to solution in just 1 hour by posting on a forum!

thanks, you terrific pair of blokes! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nico13
03-05-2015, 12:55 AM
Excellent Steve, glad it's all worked out ok for you. :thumbsup:

iborg
03-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Good news - enjoy