PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion AccuFocus help

DiscoDuck
26-04-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm trying to install an Orion AccuFocus (actually the Skywatcher branded one, but I'm told it's the same) on an Orion XX14G.

Seems like it needs the bracket with the multiple screw holes in, as the other two brackets supplied are too narrow to match the screws on the focuser plate - including the Orion supplied bracket meant specifically for double speed focusers (of which this is one).

To mount to the bracket that seems to fit the plate, the position of the motor assembly relative to the focuser shaft is then such that the set screw to attach it to the shaft is inside the focuser housing. Not deep enough to be visible at the hole where the normal focussing knob is screwed on. So having trouble working out how to attach it!

Also, in playing with it, I seem to have got the silver coupler a bit loose on the motor shaft too, and do not seem to be able to get it tight again. So worried that even if I do get it attached somehow to the shaft, it won't have enough torque to turn it without slipping. Seems like internally it's not screwed on but got some rubber washer that's kind of jammed against the motor shaft and the coupler.

Help appreciated! Hope the descriptions make sense. Pics needed?

Thanks,
Paul

DiscoDuck
26-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Aah. Answered at least the first part of my question. My focuser is similar to this one ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIteLt3xcw&feature=youtu.be
You essentially have to dismantle the whole thing. Of course, the instructions don't cover this scenario!!

Now, having taken the silver doodah off the end of the motor shaft, I'm faced with the job of trying to get it back on firmly. In fact, in the above video, the guy recommends not to take it off unless you need to use the alternate attachment as it's hard to get back on! Doh :(