PDA

View Full Version here: : Fungus in eyepiece

croweater
24-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Hi , I have an old Parks "gold series" 10mm Plossl that hasn't been used for years. It has a cloudy circle in the centre inside the lens' about 3mm diameter with a perfect clear dot in the middle. I am guessing this is a fungul growth. Can anything be done or is the eyepiece ruined. If so should I try to dissasemble it and attempt to clean it, since it is no good anyway? Thanks.

Kunama
24-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Might as well pull it apart, may clean up nicely. Just remember which way the pieces are and lay them out on a clean lint free cloth in disassembly order.

croweater
24-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Thanks Matt, Any ideas on how it comes apart? :shrug: Cheers, Richard

Kunama
24-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Sorry can't help with that one. Most just screw apart but be careful that everything doesn't spill out.
Some though have a retaining ring at the opposite end and need to be worked on upside down.

Whenever I dismantle eyepieces I twist them to loosen but as soon as it is loose I place the eyepiece down on the table with the eye lens upwards, then slowly rotate the top part and once loose, lift the top housing up leaving the elements neatly stacked on the table.

Then place them in order on lint free cloth, clean each one (I use Baader fluid) and reassemble making sure not to trap dust.

croweater
24-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Ok Matt. Thanks for the help. I'll have a go and see what happens. Cheers.:)