PDA

View Full Version here: : SN 10 collimation

peter_4059
04-04-2015, 06:04 PM
I've recently purchased a Meade SN10 and I'm wondering if I can use my Cats Eye collimation tools with this OTA configuration. I've got the triple pack kit with Teletube XL sight tube, Blackcat Cheshire and Infinity XLKP Autocollimator.

h0ughy
04-04-2015, 09:19 PM
i was going to say I don't think so as how do you spot the mirror but you never know. but then you can align the optical train with it? Also having seen a howie glatter grid collimator it was very quick to to do - one thing to watch is the tube warps with weight - so that will warp your collimation. i know wth Alan's we put some extra bracing on the focuser mountings to help stop that. but i am no expert and talking through my hat on a raining Easter night

peter_4059
05-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Dave,

I'll be able to spot the mirror in the same way I did for the Newt - remove the mirror cell from the tube. I will also be replacing the stock focuser with a Moonlite when the mounting kit finally arrives.

traveller
06-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Hi Peter,
I colliminated my SN 10 using this technique and it worked very well. http://starizona.com/acb/basics/using_collimating_newt.aspx
Glad you are changing the focuser as the stock plastic focuser is a disappointment to say the least.
Will you be flocking the tube? What about the finder? The existing drill holes fit a vixen style foot so you can put a 8x50 finder on the tube.
One word of warning, by the time you upgrade the focuser and finder, the tube will be side heavy. So you may want to place the finder off side to the focuser to balance the tube a bit.
Good luck
Bo

peter_4059
09-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Hi Bo,

Got the focuser changed out this afternoon and also put a vixen finder foot in, although I suspect I wont be needing a finder any time soon. Also put a Catseye spot on the primary and collimation was a breeze. First light tonight and it looks like I'll stick with the paracorr as there was still some come without it.

traveller
10-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Hope all is well with your refurb Peter.
Re the hex screws for the corrector plate, did you manage to work out their size? I used an imperial sized Allen key but it wasn't a tight fit and I accidentailly rounded one near the top. I may see if I can get some metric ones from Bunnings later (and also for the mirror cell).
I use an older MPCC and it works very well.
Some pics please...
Bo

peter_4059
10-04-2015, 09:56 AM
The screws are 8-32 UNC 13mm long. You can get stainless steel ones from Small Parts, part number: SC0417C-013-B-SK-S4.

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/item/sc0417c013bsks4/screwsbuttonsocket304stainless/