PDA

View Full Version here: : Newt Fan

speach
04-04-2015, 04:17 PM
The fan on my bintel 800mm f4 reflector vibrates my scope very slightly. OK for visual viewing but no good for photography, Is this usual or do I need to get a accurately balanced fan and vibration proof mounts for it. :mad2:

raymo
04-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Switch it off Simon, better yet, remove it. They are not very effective,
especially if behind the mirror, and in your case, I believe you keep it in your observatory, so the scope is at ambient anyway. There is a thread going at the moment which shows how ineffective they are in their usual configurations. I'm in my 63rd year of owning/using scopes, and have never felt the need for one on any of them.
raymo

glend
04-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Actually I disagree about removing it. My newt (in my observatory) is also at ambient however early in the morning it will be fogged up. To prevent this I can turn fan on and it will clear the mirror very quickly (like a demister on your car windscreen). So it does have some use.

I do run mine during imaging but it is isolated from the scope (and there are various ways of doing that).

Logieberra
04-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Replacement fans are like $1.00 on ebay. Get a few - brushless ones at that. I'm pretty sure most astro imagers run the fans. What's your mount?

speach
04-04-2015, 05:49 PM
neq6 pro

Shiraz
04-04-2015, 06:56 PM
crikey yes, wouldn't consider imaging without a fan running - help keep the mirror near ambient as the temperature changes. Isolate vibrations with elastic hair bands - I think my granddaughter calls them scrunchies (or wot-evvuh).

Logieberra
04-04-2015, 08:34 PM
I ran a 10" skywatcher black diamond newt (metal tube) on an EQ6 and ran the fans. For planetary, they were essential :)