PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade ETX-125AT vs NexStar 5i SCT

"O"
14-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi,

Anyone has any comments on these 2 ?
Are there newer models?
Are there any other brand of similar scopes?

Thanks,
"O"

beren
15-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Gday can't help with the two scopes you've listed but I'm looking at something in that size class to serve as a travel set up . The Celestron CG5 ASGT GOTO mount mated with the new C6 SCT OTA {http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=333}

Dennis
15-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Hello, O

I have the older Nexstar 5 which is the single arm 5" f10 SCT with hand controller. It does not have GPS and the later features and cannot be upgraded. I now don't use it very often and was thinking of selling it. As I too live in Brisbane, I am happy for you to come and try it one evening if you are interested? Photo attached.

New, these cost around $3000+. I’ll probably be looking for around $1000.

Cheers

Dennis

merlin8r
22-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi O,
Pound for pound, it seems feature wise the two scopes are very similar, But I think the ETX pegs it in the end, because its a fork mount, not a single arm. This will make it more stable. You might like to also consider the new Vixen skypod with VMC 110L OTA. Although IMHO, its not as user friendly.

Clear skies,
Shane

digby dart
27-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I looked at both of these scopes as a portable solution. I think that with the release of the new Celestron 5” SE both even out in price, around A$1500. The optional Meade LNT feature will probably add another A$300.

The Celestron is a Schmidt-Cassegrain with 1250mm focal length at F10. The Meade on the other hand is a Maksutov-Cassegrain of 1900mm focal length at F15. In photography terms that’s close to a full stop in the Celestrons favour – but the Meade will give a greater than 60% magnification benefit with a 10mm eyepiece.

Both scopes can use the popular focal reducers for Schmidt-Cassegrains but the Meade will need an adapter. These reducers reduce the effective focal length and accordingly the f stop. For that reason astrophotographers often use focal reducers to shorten exposure times and broaden the field of view when using Cassegrains. They can also flatten the field.

Both scopes appear to include a tripod that incorporates a simple wedge for equatorial tracking. I believe that Celestrons new upgradeable controller is included so they too offer periodic error correction in polar mode. It would worth checking this.

The Meade ETX125 has a built in flip mirror to change from eyepiece to camera. I don’t believe the Celestron Nextar 5 SE has.

The mount on the Celestron is a single arm while the Meade uses a mini dual arm fork mount. One would imagine the Meade to be more stable. That said the Meade design is pretty tight so mounting a DSLR to the back of the scope for steep angle astrophotography would be challenging. The Celestron single arm should afford better space for a DSLR. For piggy camera mounting both scopes would afford enough space, the Celestron however allows the optical tube to slide back and forward – allowing adjustable weight distribution.

This last Celestron feature also gives rise to the possibility of attaching other rail-mounted telescopes like an ed80 to the mount. The Meade does not.

As far as the difference in the controllers is concerned it’s a matter of taste.

I like both scopes.

ausastronomer
27-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I agree with Beren. I think the new Celestron C6 SCT on the Adanced series GOTO mount is a better option than both of them. Note that I am talking about the 6"/F10 Scmidt Cassegrain Scope, not the 6" Maksutov made by Synta and sold by several companies in Australia under the Skywatcher and other brand names. Here is a link to the scope on the Anacortes website in the USA

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=4&pid=9534&m=

You should be able to buy this scope for well under $2,000 in Australia. It may be a little bit more expensive than both 5" scopes, but it offers a quantum leap ahead of both of them in performance. 1" in Aperture may not sound much, but it makes quite a difference optically without much more pain physically, in terms of setup, storage and transportation.

I have two friends in the USA that I know have recently reviewed this scope and found it optically excellent, for a mass produced scope. One is by a reviewer for Orion Telescopes and the other being a review for Astronomy Magazine in the USA, which will go to print in the near future. The reviewer for Astronomy Magazine liked the scope so much he bought it off the distributor after he finished the review. I can't add much more than that as his review has not yet gone to print.

This scope will do a great job visually as well as being an excellent entry level scope into astrophotography.

CS-John B

merlin8r
29-09-2006, 10:19 AM
If you tried sticking an ED 80 on that mount, you would have very little travel. The scope has a focal length of 600mm, so its not going to reach the zenith, short of pushing it all the way forward, and overloading the mount.

Clear skies,
Shane

digby dart
29-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Shane: Thanks for that info on the Nexstar SE mount. Very much appreciated.

John and Beren: I too looked at the Celestron ASGT 6” SCT and also think that it should be priced well under A$2000 – But haven’t been able to find it in Australia for less. Please let us know if you do.

ausastronomer
29-09-2006, 04:28 PM
They are only fairly new on the market and not all dealers will have them listed on their website. I would phone Steve Massey from My Astro Shop www.myastroshop.com.au and ask him for a price. He may have to order it in for you as it is not shown on his website.

Also try Lee Andrews. http://www.andrewscom.com.au/ he has it for $1,999 on his website but phone him and see what he can do.

CS-John B

tnott
30-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi there

I have an ETX 125 and it has always worked very well with very sharp images. Optically, in all the reviews I have seen, it outshines the Celestron 5'' but can sometimes have mechanical issues that need to be fixed up to get maximum performance (as no doubt does the Celestron). Checkout Weasner's Etx site: http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html
for heaps of info, reviews etc. Neither scope is much suited for anything but the most basic astrophotography. The ETX is particularly good at viewing the moon , double stars and the planets, but can also show you the main deep sky stuff. I usually leave mine set up and just carry it outside in one piece for quick viewing sessions when I don't feel like setting up my 16'' dob. Dr. Clay Sherrod who loves the little scope
( http://www.weasner.com/etx/guests/guest_125ec_comments.html ) offers a "supercharge" service to get the scope working at its peak but you can also use Weasner's website to do tinkering yourself. I have heard about all sorts of problems with the new LNT so it might be safer to get the "classic " version if it is availible (how hard is it to enter the time, date, level the telescope & point it north anyway?)

The 6'' scope on the CG 5 mount would also be a good suggestion and would perhaps allow a bit more basic imaging and seeing maybe a little more deep sky stuff.

PS:If this is your first scope you might also want to consider a 8" dob. If I was to start again this is what I would do.

Tim.:)