PDA

View Full Version here: : Storing an SCT OTA

The_bluester
16-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Having just deforked and remounted my C925, I am now looking at storage and transport options for it. What are people using to store tubes of these sorts of dimensions? The obvious and easy (But far from cheap) step would be to go and get a Pelican case for it.

Is anyone using one of the cheaper pelican style cases with success? And whatever brand is on the lid, are people using pick-n-pluck style foam for the tubes or doing an expanded foam liner of better protection? I would guess on a C925 at roughly 600 long by 300 in diameter I would not want a case smaller than about 900 X 450 to afford some padding for protection.

For Snake Valley this weekend it will be simply wrapped in bedding but that is not a very long term option for transport and it would take up less space at home if I do not have to store it mounted on the AZEQ.

rogerco
16-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Fio my deforked C8 I am using an Eski. Wrap some high density foam around the tube and it fits nicely. Has the advantage of keeping it cool in the back of the car.

The_bluester
16-03-2015, 08:36 PM
I will have to have a look, but the 9.25 i fairly big, I doubt we have an eski anything like big enough.
I also usually leave the diagonal mounted (No more room in the EP box) so it is even longer to store.

acropolite
16-03-2015, 09:14 PM
I store my LX90 complete in one of the Bunnings knock off cases, fantastic for the price, problem is that availability is a bit sporadic. might be a bit big for your OTA but I'm sure you would find some extra stuff to accompany it. See this thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=108624)

The_bluester
16-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Well, I am sure I can, having gained a couple of big ES eyepieces my hand controller and cables no longer fit in the EP case so a space for them with the OTA would be good. I can see two big cases (OTA and mount head/counterweights) plus a nice bag for the tripod and the EP case in my future. And the battery box, and folding table, and...

acropolite
16-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Might be worth asking at Bunnings to see when and if they're getting more stock.

Camelopardalis
16-03-2015, 09:47 PM
I have the Pelican case that I transport my C11 to dark sites in, the C9.25 OTA isn't much smaller.

To be honest, it's great when it needs to be indestructible - it hugged my 8SE (C8 and SE mount) in the hold of a plane from England and the collimation wasn't even out when it got to this end!

Besides that, I find it way too big and heavy. If you only need it for travelling in the car, you might want to look for something like an 80L plastic storage box and then pad it out with your own foam/padding. Would work out a lot smaller and lighter and much cheaper :shrug: