PDA

View Full Version here: : Freighting OTA interstate - advice sought

peter_4059
16-03-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm looking to ship an SN10 ota from Melbourne to Brisbane. I'm looking for advice from members experienced in shipping large OTAs interstate. Who did you use, how was it packed, did it arrive in one piece?

Thanks

Peter.

dannat
16-03-2015, 11:47 AM
i used pack-n-send to freight a large wooden refractor & wooden mount from perth to melbourne -depot to depot [much cheaper than door-door]
Andy jackson packed it really well - all arrived safely in one piece [no hint of external damage], only took 4 bus days to arrive
cost me just over $200 if i remember

Joshua Bunn
16-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Ive had great experiences with pack and send aswell. I used them to get my PME from NZ to Perth. All went well and they packaged it very well in expanding foam. I would highly recommend them. In fact, I'm dealing with them right now with another shipment overseas.

Josh

rrussell1962
16-03-2015, 12:14 PM
I have had 3 good experiences with pack and send. You can book online either for pick up or drop off at your closest depot. You can choose an insurance option, but the very helpful person at my local depot told me that the terms and conditions specifically exclude scientific instruments unless Pack and Send have packed the item themselves.

Wedgie
16-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Another vote for Pack & Send. BNE-MEL
I had them pack the OTA. Fully insured.

I did take a few pics on my phone in the presence of the rep b4 dispatch.
I also had the recipient worded up on a thorough inspection of the box exterior for dents or crumpled corners, and of course the OTA whilst still at the destination depot.

No issues though. I highly recommend them.

mental4astro
16-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Yep, Pack and Send :thumbsup:

While there are cheaper services (not by much, and as everything else, you get what you pay for), P'n'S offers a packing service that properly packs and protect sensitive items. They are also one of the VERY few companies that offer insurance for freighting expensive items as one-of jobs. I now use P'n'S exclusively for transporting my custom telescopes. They have also prooved to be faster in delivering jobs too, :)

Kunama
16-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Just be aware that Pack&Send Online is in no way linked to the local depots,
they are completely different businesses and they also have restrictions on what they will carry (check fragile items).
The P&S depots are only a pick up and drop off point for the Online business and they make no income from the online parcels.

LewisM
16-03-2015, 01:58 PM
I use Pack N Send - 3 MASSIVE boxes down to Melbourne (Tak NJP mount, tripod legs (which are almost as tall as myself!) and a Tak FCT-100 scope (same size as an FSQ-106N) for $170 total. Came in at around 50kg in total, and it was there the next day (Pack n Send primarily uses TNT)

Can't complain - MANY scopes sold (hey, it's ME!), and all arrived in fine condition except for one - but that sat at the Saxon Melbourne warehouse for almost 2 weeks, so God alone knows what the warehouse lackeys did to the box! (just a bent pinion, which was easily resolved).

I have used e-Go before, NEVER again. I have used Courier's Please - fine, but SLOW.

glend
16-03-2015, 02:39 PM
I always use Interparcel to book through and they offer several very competitive carrier choices and quotes with each job. You have to pack yourself but its all online and the send you the consignment paperwork and address labels. Carrier arrves, scans the box and signs the pickuo document, easy.

MattT
16-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Pack and send for me too. $40 to send a 4" ED f9 refractor to Adelaide from Melbourne, and it was delivered in two days.
Pretty good in my book.

04Stefan07
16-03-2015, 06:23 PM
No problems with Pack and Send however I recommend to pack the item yourself.

They will rip your arm off when it comes to charging for packing.

peter_4059
16-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like Pack and Send is the way to go.