PDA

View Full Version here: : SkyWatcher Star Adventurer

Carlz
15-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Skywatcher Star Adventurer as yet? I had finally set myself to buy the Vixen Polarie, and this morning i was browsing Bintel, and came across the skywatcher... Ive never used a polarie, but i would love to buy one... but now i cannot decide haha. I havent been able to find any customer reviews on the SW.

TIA

Carly

La_Displuke
17-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I am using one this Saturday so I will let you know how it goes!

Carlz
17-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Ok thanks heaps!:D

SteveInNZ
18-03-2015, 06:13 AM
I have one. I've only had the chance to use it properly once so far but I had an iOptron Skytracker before this and so I can comment from my experience and thoughts.

IMHO, the three trackers (Polarie, Skytracker and Star Adventurer) are so different in size that it's almost illogical to compare them directly. Which is the best one really depends on how you are going to use it.

If you like to go bush for a day and take a tent and everything with you in a pack, then the Polarie is really the only option. The Skytracker is a bit too heavy for that when you take into account the heavier tripod and ballhead that it is capable of supporting.

If you drive somewhere and then maybe walk for half an hour or so, then the SkyTracker is a good compromise between weight and capability. It's also convenient enough to keep in the car so you can grab it when the opportunity arises.

The Star Adventurer is the size and weight of a small Equatorial mount. It's a great second mount or if you were going to set it up within easy walking distance of the car so you can go back and forth a few times. It's also quite suitable for taking overseas in checked luggage for getting those northern hemisphere objects.

I have to say that I feel a whole lot more comfortable with my camera on the Star Adventurer than I did with it on the SkyTracker.

Steve.