PDA

View Full Version here: : Simple pleasures of observing

traveller
14-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Having recently refurbished a Meade 10" Schimdt newtonian http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=132487
I did something I haven't done for a while: visual observation.
It was a reasonably clear and still night last night, so I manually swung the scope to a couple of my favourite targets, m42 and the jewel box. Now I know why people lust after big dobs, the views were stunning, even from my light polluted backyard.
Thin wisps of m42 were clearly shown, as were parts of the running man (I matched the scope with a 13mm vixen LWV). The four stars in trapezium was clearly shown. What a sight.
The jewel box was just as good. Tight clustering of beautiful points of light, with different colours of the jewels showing their glory.
Now, maybe I should hook up the camera next....:lol:
Bo

MattT
15-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Nooooooo Bo don't do it :lol:

Fight the urge with all you can muster. Throw that camera back in the bag…

I believe your scope is as good as adding a coma corrector, minus all the fuss of settings :question:

How is the view at the edge with various eyepieces?

When you can see 6 stars in the Trap then you can try the camera OK?

10" is such a good size…and to think I put my 10"OOUK up for sale, but took it off when common sense prevailed :)

Now get outside, when it's not raining, and look some more :D

Matt

traveller
15-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks Matt, yes, 10" is a sweet size for me and just within the limits of my EQ6.
I have a MPCC but forgot to put it on :thanx: so will do that next time.
There is very minor distortion around the fringe of the fov but it was not at all distracting (I am used to the views of a c8).
Your OOUK 10" was tempting, had I not managed to get mine 10" ;)
Bo

The_bluester
19-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Seeing 6 stars in the Trap has long been my seeing check. I love those nights when you just front up to the EP and "there they are" at first glance as it usually means a good night ahead.