PDA

View Full Version here: : Baader or Astronomik? Which to get?

[1ponders]
12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
In my search for an IR blocking filter I'm torn between the Baader UV/IR blocking filter and the Astronomik IR blocking filter. These are for use with Digital planetary imaging with the ToUcam and the SAC 4.2.

I'd be interested in hearing recommendations, whether the UV/IR will perform better than the straight IR or whether for planetary imaging the IR will be enough.

EzyStyles
13-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Hi Paul. I have the Baader IR/UV cut filter but havent tested it on planets. deep space it shows up alot of dead blue/green pixels. Maybe it's me :shrug:

h0ughy
13-09-2006, 07:29 AM
I have that too, might have to have a look at some RAW files to verify that.

Paul, Scott Alder used one too. Might ask his opinion, for me it helps firm up stars and unwanted nasties:D

Robby
13-09-2006, 08:15 AM
I use the Astronomik IR blocking filter. Seems to work fine. Main reason for Astronomik = financial. Astronomik were cheaper & I didn't need UV block.
Cheers

Merlin66
13-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Check out C Buil's webpage he has a section on IR filter and performance.

[1ponders]
14-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that heads up Merlin. His filter page is great :thumbsup:

[1ponders]
14-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Looking at the two filters I'm a bit confused. I thought the Baader UV/IR cutoff is meant to "cutoff" both UV and IR, but comparing it to the Astronomik I don't see much difference in the UV area.

How much reliability can be place in this PDF (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/docs/uv-ir.pdf)especially regarding the scratch resistance.

davidpretorius
14-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I have the single baader ir/uv, but Bird and Ice recommend from memory the astronomicks in terms of colour filters

[1ponders]
14-09-2006, 10:08 PM
It's just the cutout filter I need Dave. I don't know if I'm ready for colour filter wheels yet. :lol: I know the bank account isn't ready for a mono DMK or SkyNyx 2.1 :prey: