PDA

View Full Version here: : Mount upgrade options - Paramount MYT

alistairsam
13-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Hi

I'm considering my next upgrade and I've decided on upgrading my mount from the eq6 to something like the Paramount MYT mainly because of the price bracket. my budget is about $9k.

My OTA is a 10 inch f4 CF tube, total weight including camera and mirrors is 14Kg.

I also considered the smaller AP mount but it's payload limit is 20Kg.
I don't see myself upgrading the OTA anytime so I just need something that's reliable and provides precision tracking and pointing accuracy .

I've hypertuned my eq6 and it tracks very well but I'm at the stage where I want more precision as I'm looking at full automation.

Anyone have any experience with the myt? My concern is whether it'll handle my OTA given that their description mentions its for refractors and short ota's.

Mine is 1m X 300mm.

Appreciate any input .

Thanks
Alistair.

traveller
13-03-2015, 12:31 PM
What's about the CEM60 Alistair?
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=131920

alistairsam
13-03-2015, 04:13 PM
hi Bo,

haven't found many real world tests with the cem60, read both good and bad about it,
The MyT has a lot of cool features and in theory, should be accurate and reliable. I heard that there are issues with the service and parts where you don't get good support. so I am a bit cautious but don't have may other mounts in this class in this price bracket.

Cheers
Alistair

rat156
13-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Hi Alistair,

I have had a problematical PMX, which is now fixed, and performs as it should.

The main problems have been with some drive belts, some motors and some of the three way switch mechanisms.

I have had a quick look at the SBSC forums, the MYT doesn't seem to plagued by the same teething problems as the PMX. As long as it fits your specs, the MYT sounds like a good mount.

Sometimes dealing with SB can be frustrating, but an overall good experience with my PMX.

Cheers
Stuart

suma126
14-03-2015, 03:18 PM
why not eq8 it seems to be ok for the price.i have used losmandy and neq6 pro mount was good for the price but now have paramount mx+ and love it. the mx is a dream has never let me down even controlling it 1200 km away when working up north.

alistairsam
14-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Thanks Stuart, reviews so far do look good.
I have heard of the slow response from SB.
were your issues identified when you got the mount or later down the track?

Thanks,
your experience with the MX+ is the sort of reliability I'm after. so staying away from skywatcher mounts. I have had a few of them.
As for the losmandy, I'm not entirely sure, they do have a few quirks but are pretty solid.
if my concern was payload then they'd be a good choice but my payload is only 15kg.
Also looking at the Mach1GTO. That 20Kg payload limit is the limiting factor.
Price of the MyT does go up a fair bit when buying from Aus.

cheers

CharlesW
15-03-2015, 10:05 AM
If your scope is one meter in physical length I would recommend their MX+. Even though the weight isn't an issue with the MyT I think that is a lot of length to move around. If you've got the $9000 in place and do get the MyT you'll eventually regret not getting the MX+.

If you do choose the MyT you'll probably need the full size MX tripod. I'd be a little concerned about the whole thing tipping over with the MyT tripod.

bert
15-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Don't discount the Mach 1 because of its rated capacity.

I have had around 60 kilos one one and did unguided imaging at 2300mm focal length. They are a fantastic mount.

I use a Paramount me a lot for remote imaging as well; They are some niggles, but perform very well.

alistairsam
15-03-2015, 11:56 AM
hi,

I currently use an EQ6 that handles the OTA without any issues, so I'm assuming that these mounts which are in a different class in terms of quality and precision can handle the same OTA?
Is there a reason you don't see many AP mounts in remote observatories but see a lot of Paramount mounts?

I was looking at another mount yesterday, the 10micron HPS1000.
They seem pretty impressive and have absolute encoders on each axis, rated PE is 1arc sec and capacity 25kg and the overseas price is within my range, not sure what the AU dealer price is. have written to AEC. Have a feeling it'll be a lot higher.

http://www.10micron.com/
http://www.10micron.eu/files/HPS/Scheda%20tecnica%20GM1000HPS%20en.p df
This video shows it tracking satellites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_W3MAQ7eQ

Alistair

scagman
16-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Hi Alistair,

Have you thought about a G11.
If you want, you could come up and try your gear on my G11 and see how it performs.

Cheers.

gregbradley
16-03-2015, 06:22 PM
I'd second the MX+. I have a PME and a PMX. The PMX was a little problematic as most were in the early days of its release.

But now I have gotten used to it and have fine tuned it I am really starting to respect it. The main adavantage of PMX is the integration with the complete suite of software.

TPoint models, PemPro PEC make this mount sing.

The 3 way switch I could do without as its more of a problem than an advantage but again you get used to it.

I am getting some terrific tracking out of mine now.

I would get PemPro with it as the Software Bisque PEC is not as good as PemPro.

If you had the MX+ you now have an upgrade ability for your scope. That is important as you are likely to want to get something bigger and heavier later. Its quite common and you don't want to add to the cost having to buy a more heavy duty mount.

Sometimes you see 22nd hand PME's for sale cheapish. Something to consider.

Greg.

Logieberra
17-03-2015, 04:40 PM
I'd go MX+ or AP1100GTO. Both are newly upgraded mounts, incorporating the latest thinking from both companies.

alistairsam
24-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the offer John. issue I have with the G11 are the tweaks you need to do to get precision tracking. I want something that'll just work out of the box.
Pretty much decided on the MyT although the support from SB is scary when you read the forums.
The MX+ is outside my price bracket for now. someday in the future perhaps.

Need to check if the MyT has the 3 way switch you mentioned Greg. Have read a lot of folks have issues with that.

Cheers
Alistair

rat156
24-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Hi Alistair,

The 3-way switch causes problems when it is not properly adjusted.

Unfortunately in the first few runs of the MX, there were hardware problems that require the disassembly of various parts of the mount, almost always meaning that this 3-way switch needed adjusting. Combine that with sometimes flaky support from the other side of the world and you get frustrated customers.

I haven't heard of similar problems with the MX+ or MYT, so it may be a dead issue, now that most of the original run have been fixed.

FWIW, I like the idea, but the implementation could have been tested more thoroughly. I very much felt like I had an advanced prototype as a mount at times. I got one of the first batch, but it now sings.

Cheers
Stuart

frolinmod
24-03-2015, 05:41 PM
They learned their lesson. The MX+, the MEII and the MyT share a different design than the MX.

rat156
24-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Backwards compatible?

Logieberra
26-03-2015, 12:44 AM
Hi Alistair, I'm not sure what forums you are referring to, but know that there is only one forum when it comes to full SB support. Their forum. Have you joined? Have a read and you'll soon see how they operate. Find a problem? Report it in full with data attached. Work through problems systematically. Follow their instructions. They are quick to send replacement parts where hardware failure is diagnosed (e.g. a worm out of spec), and they routinely update their software to address bugs. You'll be fine :)