PDA

View Full Version here: : Darksky is finished!

TechnoViking
11-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Well 3 years since i started and I have just finished putting the last coat of paint on!

The next stage is attaching a boat winch to roll the roof off, and possibly a 2nd one to roll the roof back on again.

The Observatory measures 4m x 4m which gives me a lot of room, but on the downside makes the roof a little heavy to roll on and off. I over engineered the frame due to the very high winds we get early spring, we had huge winds last year that blew over a 100 year old Cypress pine but observatory stayed all intact. I have used heavy duty (5mm thick) gate hinged locks to hold the roof down and so far no issues at all!

I have not insulated the observatory, its wrapped with the reflective sheet and thats it, at night time it cools very quickly.

Home built pier made from 200mm x 8mm pipe filled with sand, and 12mm plates for the base, gussets and leveling head (cutting 2 circles out of 12mm plate with a 5 inch grinder is not fun LOL)

The carpet I used was pulled out from a government building, they are rubber backed and synthetic so can withstand a lot of abuse, with the added bonus of saving an eye piece i dropped! (Phew) The squares worked out at 80c each so i bought 20 extra as replacements, no need to glue these down, so replacing 1 carpet square is just a case of lifting a corner and pulling it out!

I run 240 volts for the computer, lamp and lights. The mount and camera are run from a 12 volt supply (fused)

Im very happy with the way it turned out, if there was anything i would have changed it would be making the observatory smaller, 4m is over kill, i could fit another 3 telescopes in here! hmmmm... thats got me thinking :rofl:

RickS
11-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Looks very comfortable!

glend
11-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Very nice, and your exterior colour scheme is almost identical to my own. I might copy your hold down method (I just use bar clamps at the moment).

strongmanmike
11-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Very Schmick looking facility James, looks smart and well constructed :)

Mike

Dealy
11-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Looks fantastic James.

Well done. :thumbsup:

Kev

TechnoViking
11-03-2015, 07:55 PM
The gate latches are very strong, all i used is a piece of dowel to secure the latch after use, I nicked the idea from an observatory i saw too :D

The simplest solutions are always the best!

Kunama
11-03-2015, 09:07 PM
What an excellent observatory James !!!

ZeroID
12-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Yep, same here. My 4 latches are a lot closer together so using a couple of bungee cords hooked though the loop. 1 cord does two latches and doesn't get lost.
Have you thought about partitioning off a warm room for PC's etc ?
My roof centre splits so I can keep a partial roof over the PC and desk and it's surprising how much that helps to keep it drier and a bit protected frm radiating all my precious body heat out into space. :thumbsup:

TechnoViking
12-03-2015, 03:57 PM
I do the same thing on a cold night dewy night, I roll the roof 3/4's the way off to keep me and the glass desk dry. I was thinking of partitioning the computer area off so i could have a small heater to keep my feet warm but i think i might leave that project for later in the year, for the mean time im going to enjoy the finished product :)

ZeroID
13-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Way to go !! :thumbsup: Always need to have a plan for improvements.

Not sure how you've placed your pier but have you thought about partitioning off a corner rather than across the whole end or side? A mini-control room look sort of.
Ah!! I'm getting ahead of myself already.
Enjoy :D

Jen
15-03-2015, 10:00 PM
You can never have too much room :) I could fill it up very quickly lol :) I don't see a bar fridge in there yet hehehehe ;)

Ric
16-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Great job James. :thumbsup:

It looks fantastic.