PDA

View Full Version here: : Cable Management

JohnH
12-09-2006, 09:58 AM
What is the best way to minimise snags, drags and trips in the dark, my setup is not permanent?

I have:

2*USB cables for image data/setting control on the DSLR and guidcam.
1 Parallel cable for automation of long (bulb) exposures on the DSLR
1 Ethernet x-over for the connection to the mounts hand controller

Then the power cables:

2*12v for the mount and TEC to the guidecam
8v for the DSLR

And I do not have a dew heater- yet.

I use cable ties and hooks but mostly this is to take strain off the connectors
the cables hang loose to the laptop.

Lee
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I was going to say "cable ties??".... You could go wireless.... www.thinkgeek.com (http://www.thinkgeek.com) were selling wireless extension cords last year (Aprils Fools Prank!)....
I'd just ensure as much as possible that cables exit the mount area in one "clump" - and not from all sides......

Dennis
12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi John

I use Velcro straps of varying lengths to fasten the multiple cable looms to the OTA, then the mount, then the tripod legs and finally to my observing table.

I try to route power cables away from signal cables to limit possibilities of emi/emc interference. I then watch everything like a hawk to make sure nothing snags, especially with GoTo’s. Meridian flips often mean I need to manually re-route at least one of the looms.

Tak hand controller.
Tak power.
Tak RS232 GoTo.

ST7 parallel cable.
ST7 power cable.
ST7E to Tak autoguider.

JMI motofocus cable.

Kendrick dew heater power cable.
Kendrick dew heater cables.

Finder scope LED cable.

ToUcam cable.

Pentax *ist DS power cable.
Pentax *ist DS USB cable.

And the list goes on depending on what I am doing

Cheers

Dennis

[1ponders]
12-09-2006, 12:30 PM
gotta love that double sided velcro strap and stick on velcro ;)

DaveO
12-09-2006, 08:23 PM
John

This isn't a solution yet, but next year Belkin will be selling a wireless USB setup. The dongle goes into the notebook, and there's a little 3-4 port usb hub at the other end. They have told me they are waiting on the local regulatory approval, but I can't wait!

JohnH
13-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Mmm, sounds similar to the phoneless cords that were popular a while back...:), my fav is still the dressless eveningstrap of course...;)