PDA

View Full Version here: : New Rules for Avatars and Sigs

iceman
22-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi guys.

As our membership increases and the number of threads+posts increases, there's a wider range of avatars and sigs being used by people.

It's getting to the point now that sometimes it's hard to find the post among the signatures, and the amount of bandwidth potentially being consumed by large signatures and avatars is getting too much.

So I've introduced a few new rules to the IceInSpace Forum Posting Guidelines (http://www.iceinspace.com/forum/announcement.php?s=&forumid=4).

I'm going to need your assistance in this for now:

1) The change to the avatar size/limit is for people who change their avatar from now on - it will still display large avatars for people who already have large ones. Can those people please change their avatar to meet the new rules. That includes me, because mine currently exceeds the rules (it's 80x80 30k). In a week, I will manually remove the avatars that are still too large.

2) The change to the signature rules is not enforcable via forum admin code just yet. Some code will be written to enforce it in the near future, but for now I appreciate your assistance in changing your signatures to meet the new requirements.

Thanks for your participation in this - i'm not trying to crack down on creativity, but I have to be mindful of the reasons for these forums - it's for information exchange and not for a display of the best signatures or avatars. The bandwidth and page load times (especialyl for dialup users) are also a major concern as we get larger so I have to mindful of this.

Let me know if you have any problems with these new rules. I'm happy to discuss it.

Striker
22-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Sounds fair to me..........Can we blame Ken for this.....

I think its Ken's fault.................lol

I made my Sig a bit smaller......is that ok....Mike.

Striker
23-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Instead of a pixel size limit on the avatar....can we just have a maximum file size like 10kb.....or less

There is some good avatar's I know of that are larger then 90 x 90 but are only like 5KB......

Its bandwidth we are concerned with not a slightly larger Avatar....

What my chances?

ballaratdragons
23-03-2005, 05:01 PM
120 x 120 would be a fair size! That's what snoopy used to be.

iceman
23-03-2005, 08:22 PM
I'll give it some thought.. thanks for the suggestion.

Rodstar
07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Mike, I have finally worked out (doh) how to import an avatar from my favourite pictures on my pc, but the images have too many pixels. How do I transform an image so that it has fewer pixels???

Rodstar

iceman
08-04-2005, 04:55 AM
How many pixels does it have?
You can resize an image in any image editing program, best to get "irfanview'. It's small and cheap, and lets you resize the image down to 80x80, and also to save as a lesser quality jpeg so it's under 25k.

Gimme a shout if you're having troubles, or send me the pic and i'll downsize it for you.

Rodstar
08-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Mike, I'll just email it to you to downsize.....you know how crap I am at anything technological!

Thanks for offering!

Rodstar

RAJAH235
08-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Rodstar, A VERY SIMPLE & EASY to use photo resizer is *Faststone Photo Resizer*. From zdnet.com link below. They have a few free progs. which are O.K.
Really, it's an easy prog to use.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/search.htm?query=faststone&collection=all&x=38&y=10
HTH. :D L.