PDA

View Full Version here: : Jupiter at Opposition Tonight 7th Feb Including 2 Shadow Transits & GRS Transit.

Suzy
07-02-2015, 03:38 PM
I've just posted this on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/iceinspace/photos/a.443095681202.235512.114571796202/10153020988526203/?type=1&theater), so I'll just copy & paste in here to make my life easier :P. If you're on fb, share out the event to your friends. Pays to check the Astronomy 2015 Australia book regarding the extra events surrounding opposition :whistle:
Looks like we're in for a fun night! :astron::camera::party2:

HEADS UP !!! Jupiter is at opposition tonight - February 7th.
And it'll be putting on a great show with a GRS transit and a couple of shadow transits (see below). John Chumack captured this gorgeous image of Ganymede re-appearing from behind Jupiter at opposition from the U.S. Midwest at 3.40 UT February 6th (1.30am AEST 7/2).

The best time to view Jupiter is at opposition time when the planet will be closest to Earth, therefore it will appear larger and brighter. It will be visible almost all night, rising around sunset, culminating around midnight and setting around sunrise.

Listed below are the events for Jupiter tonight.
My source is the Astronomy 2015 Australia book:

20.40 AEST: Io shadow transit (more suitable for eastern Aus).

21.40 AEST: Europa shadow transit, visible across Australia.

21.59 AEST: GRS transit (Great Red Spot), visible across Australia.

Refer page 113 for the shadow transits and page 121 for the GRS.

Here's more info on Jupiter for tonight and what to expect further in the year: http://www.universetoday.com/118528/by-jove-jupiter-reaches-opposition-on-february-6th/#more-118528

John's image details: 10" sct scope, 2x barlow, QHY5LII CCD camera, Astronomik RGB, 51 fps avi, 3000 frames stacked in Registax, separate RGB combined in Maxim DL.

A fun night of Jupiter viewing to be had tonight! Enjoy, Suzy.

geolindon
07-02-2015, 04:57 PM
thanks Suzy n well done :thumbsup:

i'm still away from d 'scopes so i hope others post their captures.

have fun, L

:( the shop must have sold all the astronomy 15 books. :) got one!

BeanerSA
07-02-2015, 05:19 PM
That GRS section of that book always makes me feel like an idiot. I'm sure they've had years to perfect the method of presenting that data but it confuses the heck outta me!

Suzy
07-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Hi Paul,

Regarding working out the GRS table- don't worry, you're not the only one. It took me 10 mins to figure it out. The first 5 were spent trying to work it out for myself until I saw an explanation at the bottom and they give an example which was really helpful and then I got it.

Basically, an asterisk represents it's visible all across Australia. If there's no asterisk, then only W.A. sees it. There can be up to 3 GRS transits in one day, so that's why there's three tables. And all times are in AEST, so you'd factor in daylight savings.

It took me a while to work out the Moon transits section too. But once you use it a few times, it won't be so hard. Tho still a bit :lol:. I have to check my info several times to make sure I got it right :rolleyes:.

Suzy
07-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks Lindon, and I'm glad you were able to get a hold of the book :D.

BeanerSA
07-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Well, we had pretty good viewing conditions. I think I was able to make out the GRS, that would be near the top dark cloud band for us in the southern hemisphere? Just a shame I had to go to work, or I could have stayed out there all night! It's a shame I couldn't bring the scope into work!

Suzy
08-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Stupid clouds here in Brisbane :mad2:
Wall to wall, no gaps. Nada, zilch, zippo, zero :mad2:

Lucky you Paul, pity about work but. Tho at least you got to see some of it :thumbsup:

Rod771
08-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Well, what a sight! Very clear in Sydney tonight which produced very yummy views through the C11 Edge HD. I just missed Io's shadow but caught the GRS and Europa's shadow, first time I have seen a moon transit, very exciting.

I must say its nice to have the scope out and not be fussing over alignment and guiding graphs for a change.

Thanks for your Post Suzy :). I may have missed the moon transit if I hadn't seen it. Sorry about your clouds :sadeyes:

Suzy
08-02-2015, 02:03 AM
Rod, that's fantastic you got to see it!
I'm glad my post was helpful :D .
Tho all that work I put into it didn't help me one iota :help: :lol:, but as long as lots of people got to see it who didn't know about these extra events, had a great night, that's what's important and would make me happy. Amazing that both shadow transits and GRS were all happening around the same time - at a nice decent time - of around 9.30.

Oh well... maybe I'll replay the event on my sky programme :computer: .
Thank you so much for your explanation of the night, much appreciated :thumbsup:.

gaa_ian
08-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks Susy, it was great to show a bunch of first timers Jupiter and the transiting Io last night. I will have to start travelling with a longer FL scope (and MCT or SCT) so I can do a bit better planetary work though. The 4" Kson travelscope (http://www.nightskysecrets.com.au/telescopes/kson-102mm-4-telescope.html) is great for the widefield views. But you cant beet good focal Length for the planets.

geolindon
08-02-2015, 08:59 AM
well done Ian, n lucky newbies :)

i was searching for images of last night's event n Hubble has put up an :eyepop: image of the recent triple that was visible from the northern hemisphere;
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2015/05/image/c/

gaa_ian
08-02-2015, 09:08 AM
That is an awesome Hubble image Lindon. Puts into perspective, just how much the moons of Jupiter are worlds in their own right .

Tamtarn
08-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up Suzy.
Unfortunately clouded in here last night:(
Barb