PDA

View Full Version here: : Big Australian Dobs

Allan
27-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know what the biggest privately owned telescope in Australia is? I presume it would be a Dob. I know 3RF have a 30". I see on the SDM web site that Peter built a 32", but there are no details about it, like who owns it and where it is. I am wondering if there is anything bigger than that.

mental4astro
27-01-2015, 08:44 PM
There is a 36" dob at Mt White, just north of Sydney.

Allan
27-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Have you had a look through that one Alex?

barx1963
27-01-2015, 09:42 PM
I believe Mike Lockwood is fabricating a 40" mirror to go in an SDM. the mirror was supposed to be completed last year. Not sure who is getting it but I believe they live in Vic. There is a reference to it on this page http://www.loptics.com/projects/projects.html

Malcolm

mental4astro
27-01-2015, 09:52 PM
I did, about three months ago with my mate Wavytone. Interesting beastie. Unsafe beastie too. Interesting as it was great for extended objects, but flawed for detail. Unsafe because it is a giant wind sail at its current site, which is somewhat exposed and prone to wind. Perched four meters up a ladder, in the dark, and craning your neck to look into a tiny bit of glass, any strong wind that catches the scope, you will easily over balance and come crashing down. You really need to know what you are doing to handle this monster.

I tried to look for the galaxy NGC 1365 - just couldn't find it because of the dozens upon dozens of galaxies that it showed! First time I was actually lost! Beastie has six finder scopes on it, including a 10" reflector!

The mirror requires recoating and can do with re-figuring. Then very little will touch this monster. The structure it is housed in is very nice to handle. Well built and so easy to move with finger-tip pressure. It's for sale too, if you have somewhere to house it and give the mirror some TLC.

Allan
27-01-2015, 11:59 PM
I am not sure about that one now, I believe Mike has the mirror up for sale.

Allan
28-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Great pictures Alex. That thing is a monster, built in a different period to the current generation of big dobs. Thanks for sharing. BTW, where is it advertised for sale?

glend
28-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Allan if your looking for a project, there is a 1.5 metre mirror for sale on ebay USA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-meter-f-4-9-Zerodur-Mirror-with-Mount-Telescope-Primary-Parabolic-Collimator-/161559026068?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS: US:1120

Not cheap and I dont know if you could squeeze that into an A380 cargo container (or how many empty seats you'd need to compensate for the load) but if your keen there it is.

This mirror was mentioned in the Reflector forum of Cloudy Nights, and there was an assumption it would need refiguring and at least a re-coat before putting in a scope.

Imagine the elevator you would need to get to the EP, surely a folded design might be more practical.:rofl:

hickny
28-01-2015, 02:27 PM
http://nsas.org.au/2013/09/22/36-telescope-for-sale/

Allan
28-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Yes a 7 metre eyepiece height might be stretching the friendship a bit.