PDA

View Full Version here: : Wonder when the DSI arrives here

rumples riot
12-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Anyone know whether the DSI has arrived here in Australia? From what I have seen at CN, most have got theirs, but no shots yet.

Paul

iceman
12-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Bintel were advertising (in the Oct NightSky newsletter) that it was coming soon.. i'm not sure if they've got any stock yet..

Send them an email to find out..

mch62
12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
As what appears to be the normal thing with these large companies is they advertise products that they don't have for quite a few months before the release.
I can only guess that there trying to gauge the reaction to these products and to what level of stock they are going to keep .
Of coarse as Australia is only a tiny market we are down the list on the back orders I suppose.
I have been waiting for my Celestron 80mm Ed for about 2 months now . There are only a few reports of people getting them on CN still , So you knows >:mad:

rumples riot
12-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Agreed, and then you get people like Grizz (CN) who have the DSI and unable to produce anything because the weather so bad with the onset of winter in the northern hemisphere. Guess we will just have to wait it out. First, I heard it was going to be end of September, then end of October and then end of November. Bet it will arrive end of April next year.:rolleyes:

Oh well, just bought the field reducer today and now the clouds have rolled in again. The curse has hit me again.:D Can one of you guys buy something over there so I can get some astrophotography done on a weekend soon?

Paul

Daring Dave
23-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Ive been thinking a bit more about imaging ..DSI, LPI, Toucan or vidcam....

Anyways I found this interesting review of the DSI vs LPI ..

Seems that DSI might be the best but only if you have dark sky and about 500 bucks.... depends how you read the reviews I guess....

DSI $499ish LPI $240ish ..

Enjoy

DD

review here (http://www.weasner.com/etx/astrophotography/2004/dsi.html)

iceman
23-12-2004, 06:26 AM
It also depends if you have a tracking mount to be able to take advantage of the long-exposure (deepsky) capabilities..

For us with dobs, there's no point getting the DSI, so it's a comparison between the LPI and ToUcam. The ToUcam is a better bet, but there are various comparison reviews between those 2, it can come down to price but the ToUcam is very cheap on sale @ $145, you just need an adapter and an IR filter, so you could spend around $250 for it with all the bits you need.

I've seen some good results with the LPI, but i've seen some amazing results with the ToUcam.

rumples riot
23-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Adelaide optical rang the other day and told me that they have my DSI. So I told them, that I would pick it up on christmas eve. Just really want it as a autoguider, which is cheap. I did not expect it to come in until after Christmas.

beren
23-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Wow ,whats the deal with SA getting favors, both Bintel and Astro-optical said the DSI and the new series5000 eyepieces are delayed well into the new year .Anywhy congratulations Paul you must be one of the first in the land to have one.

rumples riot
23-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Yeah probably, maybe even the last.LOL

rumples riot
23-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Got mine hehehehe. Now just have to wait for the clouds to clear.

Paul