PDA

View Full Version here: : Is there a problem with using this scope/reducer/EP together?

67champ
20-01-2015, 10:56 AM
I have a Orion Apex 127mm (Mak-Cass) scope. Today I tried using my newly purchased (used) Meade Series 4000 CCD F3.3 Focal Reducer in conjunction with my Orion 90 degree Correct Image Diagonal and Celestron 42mm Ultima Series Eye Piece. When I looked into the EP there was a small black circle in the middle of the FOV, with an even smaller reflective circle within the black circle's center that I could see the reflection of my eye... What's going on here??? When I used the Celestron Reducer/Corrector F6.3 (94175) it worked fine. Help!? Thanks

Dana T

dannat
20-01-2015, 12:26 PM
the 3.3 is really only a imaging reducer -it isnt meant to be used at the eyepice

67champ
20-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks! Oh, Ok. Well my intentions ARE to use this reducer with a small chip CCD/CMOS solar system video camera (if I can).

Today I was just messing around and doing some of the initial software and driver downloading to my laptop and verifying the iCap software menu would start up and see what the live view and controls looked like. I stuck an EP in to do some solar observing, and get the Sun in the center of FOV and got this surprise... :-)

Anymore thoughts, please keep them coming...

dana t

The_bluester
20-01-2015, 01:40 PM
The Televue site does warn against going too low power wise for visual use in scopes with a central obstruction. I think the issue is seeing the secondary, which sounds like what you might be seeing.

67champ
20-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Yes indeed, I guess that is true... So, "the Meade f/3.3 CCD Focal Reducer/Field Flattener is specially designed for CCD imaging unlike the other type of FR such as Meade Series 4000 f6.3 Focal Reducer. In fact, the field illuminated by the f/3.3 image is so small that it can only be used for CCD imaging . Using it for photographic or visual observation will result in vignetting."

Thanks!

dana t