PDA

View Full Version here: : new scope!

janoskiss
04-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Intes Mak MK-65 and an EQ mount!

Bought it through IIS from Paul J (see ad in the b&s archives here (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11944)). Paul did a great job packing it, and Australia Post got it here safely. :thumbsup:

The MK-65 is not the most popular of the Intes scopes, mainly because of its fixed primary and helical focuser. But what the heck!

The scope has an aperture of 150mm and a focal length of 1500mm, making it an f/10. I love the no-nonsense look and solid feel of the OTA. There is a handle attached to it (black one you can see in photo) and it makes carrying it around very easy. The corrector plate and primary look pristine! Not bad for a 12 y.o. scope. :thumbsup:

I only got to try it on the Moon, in a brief period of clear skies between thick clouds, using the 26mm Meade 5000 Plossl to find it and the 8.5mm Pentax XF for a closer look. Nice and sharp with seeing being the limiting factor with the 8.5mm at 176x.

The helical focuser works okay. It's a bit stiff but it does give finer control than your basic r&p or crayford.

The biggest surprise was the Intes "Polaris" EQ mount. I don't know exactly what this mount is but appears to be Japanese made. It is a lot sturdier and much closer to vibration free than the EQ5 I used to own (sorry Geoff). And there is also a lot less backlash in the RA and Dec axis motions. It is on an aluminium tripod which is nothing like the Chinese alum tripods you find in shops these days - it's a lot more solid. At 176x the whole setup was very sturdy, virtually vibration free, and it will probably be very good for powers as high as the scope is capable of.

I have not tried the RA motor. I will have to make up a power lead to connect it to one of my 12V batteries.

I am really looking forward to observing for extended periods with tracking: especially to be able to watch Jupiter and its moons revolving uninterrupted smack in the centre of the FOV where the EP will perform at its best, instead of watching the planet drift across the FOV and having to nudge to scope every 20-30 seconds.

Just call me Kev. Because, "I'm excited"!
:jump2: :jump2: :jump2: :jump2: :jump2:

Great time to buy a planetary scope, huh? :doh:

janoskiss
04-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I should add that eventually I will be looking to replace the 1.25" focuser and the integrated dielectric diagonal with a good quality 2" crayford and 2" diagonal. Any advice in this regard would be appreciated.

Gama
05-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Yes it does look nice.
I just bought a Mak as well, the Saxon 6" f12.5 primaraly for use as a guide scope for the 22", but i must say, ive been using it seperately now for a few days. Only anoying thing is the threads are different to the standard Meade/Celestron rear cell. Is yours any different?.

iceman
05-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Nice one Steve, what's the FL and FR of it?

What are your plans for it?

Was this purchase the reason for your recent EP/accessory garage sale? :)

RB
05-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Excellent Steve, I'm glad you bought it.
Hope you have many great observing sessions with it.

:poke: Michael Salway --->

iceman
05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Shoosh you mr RB! I read that... :whistle:

OneOfOne
05-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Don't get too excited, you know what happened to "Kev"!

Some good weather coming up in a few days around Melbourne, and just as the Moon starts to fade from view! You should be able to give it a bit of a burl soon.

ving
05-09-2006, 09:36 AM
yuo are getting quite a collection steve!! :)
look good :)

janoskiss
05-09-2006, 09:39 AM
see RB's post. :P

Observe! :D planets + tracking, see first post in thread :poke: :lol:

Yes, had to raise some funds to finance this purchase.

Dave47tuc
07-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Congrats Steve,:thumbsup:
Nice scope and welcome to the Maksutov club :thumbsup:
Not many of us :whistle: But we do love them.:D And know how good they are.:whistle:

Tracking is the only way to go at high power Observing.;)

Not sure if the focuser I have will fit your scope. Join the Maksutov Yahoo group and ask there.:D

EzyStyles
07-09-2006, 04:49 PM
arhhh nice really nice! i was also interested in the scope :) now the 350D and you'll be off to the dark side in no time ;)

janoskiss
07-09-2006, 05:09 PM
No, I did not know about his passing. I just found out now after googling to see what you meant. Last I saw of him was when he was eating all that aphrodisiac radioactive Chernobyl cheese on Pizza.