PDA

View Full Version here: : 10" premium or 12-14" SW Newt?

MattT
08-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Not sure what to title this...

Currently I have a very very nice 10" Orion Optics UK f4.8 Newt OTA. I used to have it on an NEQ6 which was great, except for the eyepiece positions, as everyone knows can get tricky.

What to do with the OTA.
1. Turn it into a Dob with an ATM base
2. Sell it and get a SW 12-14" dob, possibly a GOTO version.

The other question I'm thinking on... is a 10" premium mirror (and this one is good) better than an average SW 12-14" mirror for visual?

Thoughts anyone?

My other scope is a 6" f12 Istar refractor. The 10" is very similiar in views on Planets and pulls ahead on dimmer DSO's, but not by a huge amount.
Decisions decisions.

Matt

AG Hybrid
08-01-2015, 10:28 PM
I would recommend you keep your 10". Mostly for ergonomics. Visually the 10" doesn't give much away to a 12". It's noticeable to an experience observer almost immediately but no one will flip out over it. I some times wish I never got a 12" and got a 10" instead. The size and weight difference is dramatic. If you have a certified good mirror, all the more reason to keep it. You have a number of options if you want to mount it in a Dobsonian configuration.

1# buy an Orion Optics Dobsonian mount and tube cradle. Mount your 10" in that. They look a bit flimsy though. They are all metal though so they may be stiffer then they look.

2# Get a Dobsonian mount custom made from Gondwana telescopes. The custom mount and cradles are well priced and I have personally seen and used Alexander's work for an 8" GSO tubed Dob which he made. Worked great.

3# If you have some serious cash to burn. You can get a STS 10" Dob mount from Teeter Telescopes in the USA and ship it here.

If you want GOTO though, you will probably have to pick up a Skywatcher or Orion Dob instead. You could always buy a 10" Skywatcher Goto dob. If you don't like the optics switch it out with your OOUK mirror. They are the same focal length. That is quite wasteful though. You'll probably find the Skywatcher has really good optics. I've never heard bad things about Skywatcher or Synta optics. My personal 12" is capable of at least 40x magnification per inch without image break down when the seeing cooperates.

rustigsmed
09-01-2015, 11:26 AM
I can't say a bad word regarding my 12" SW goto, however I can't compare it to a premium scope like yours but would have thought the differences would probably more noticeable when photographing (and perhaps cool down time?).

I will say the goto and tracking is awesome, I could never go to non goto/tracking for a dob ever again!

the tracking is good enough for even some deep space photography

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80336656@N07/14167021549/in/photostream/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80336656@N07/9672645018/in/photostream/lightbox/

brian nordstrom
09-01-2015, 11:49 AM
:thumbsup: Matt , I would go personally go option #2 , get Alex to build a custom base for your fine 10 inch OTA , you would use it so much more as a Dob .
Brian.

MattT
09-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Great replies thanks.
Portability...yes that's the one thing I don't have with the 6" f12 and Gaunt mount :lol: Love it as I do, it is a bit tricky to move.
I had an 8" SW a few years ago and it was darn good too, so here is where I'm at right now.
Keep the 10" OTA and either do an ATM dob base, should be easy???? or get one made....PM on it's way Alex perhaps... after a bit more research.
Yes Brian I would use the 10" as a dob so much more, add the ES HR coma corrector and this scope is nearly as good as a refractor :eyepop:
Think your correct on the imaging front Russell, I do wonder if this scope is too good for visual :question: and a Tetter base...at $750 + shipping $US....just think how many good wood working tools I could get for that outlay!

I will be adding Argo Navis to the Gaunt mount as soon as I can, so it makes sense to do the same to a dob mount, so GOTO and tracking might be out of the picture, specially as I liked to cruise with the 10" as it was on the NEQ6, clutches unlocked etc....
Getting closer to decision time :D
Cheers all
Matt

Geoff45
10-01-2015, 08:50 PM
For DSO i would say not. Light gathering power is the important factor here. On planets probably yes where the ability to show fine detail and subtle contrast is important.
Geoff

mbaddah
14-01-2015, 02:23 PM
A premium mirror will have better contrast transfer than a mass produced one. Sometimes the difference is enough to just make out structure in a faint DSO as opposed to a smudge in the cheaper mirror. This has been my experience first hand.

mbaddah
14-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Example
http://zambutomirrors.com/whyzambuto.html

rustigsmed
14-01-2015, 03:48 PM
was the comparison on equal aperture or vs a larger mass produced scope?

mbaddah
14-01-2015, 09:12 PM
My 14.5" sdm against a 16" gso. It's not a dramatic difference but its certainly there. Against same aperture might have been different story.

MattT
15-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks Mohammed. Probably should have asked 10" Premium or 14" SW Newt? Getting a better idea of where to go from here, although it's an apples to orange comparision. As for portability...if I can move 150+kgs of scope and mount around, then a 14" Dob can't be that hard....can it?
Matt

Greenswale
15-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Easy enough to move a 14" SW GoTo (Ahem!). I used ramps at the back of my van, loaded the scope on a modified hand trolley, and winched the complete base/OTA assembly (in and out), using an electric winch mounted inside the van. Assistance on the winch button was always welcome. Tied the whole lot down, and away.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 14", but age got me and I've gone smaller and lighter.