PDA

View Full Version here: : Transporting cases

ShOrEbReAk
02-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Hey

Just wondering what everyone is using to transport there tubes in when travelling? Pelican cases are expensive but so is replacing a telescope.

Was thinking of making one out of MDF or similar with extensive padding inside. How much vibration or movement puts a scope out of collimation? Or am I just being over cautious, I am wrapping the tube in a pet bed and blankets while travelling at the moment.

If you have photos I would like to see everyone's methods to handle their equipment.

Troy

glend
02-01-2015, 02:35 PM
I built a transport box for my 12" dob tube using 6mm marine ply with some small frame pieces around the lid and lip. It worked fine but I needed a trolley to move the combined weight. Don't use MDF, its not water proof and will delaminate if you get it wet. Best is marine ply which is sealed in some way, either epoxy resin systems or polyurethane.

acropolite
02-01-2015, 07:57 PM
I use some of the Pelican clones from Bunnings one of the smaller sizes to house my Az-EQ6 (without weights) and one of the larger ones for my LX90 as per this thread.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=108624

The problem with Bunnings cases is availability, they seem to buy in batches and often are only available for short windows of time. Supercheap also have commando cases which are huge but without any pluck foam.

ShOrEbReAk
02-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Cheers Phil

Will have a look at both stores tomorrow ;)
That's the info I was looking for.

Got to be some DIY ones to gander at as well guys!

Troy

jamespierce
03-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Pelican case(s) for mounts and eye pieces. They stack well, they are water and dust proof and you can let kids and short people stand on them to look through your scope without worrying.

For tubes - TransitPak in Melbourne make very good custom cases, again not cheap but can be quite light if you choose one of the plastic rather than wooden panels. They normally make roadie stuff for bands as well as scientific instruments etc.

louie_the_fly
03-01-2015, 01:13 PM
I have a plastic "Commando Case" which i got through my son in law when he worked at Supercheap Auto. It's really good, with stainless steel latches (some lockable, some not) and decent diameter wheels on 1 end, but since I've deforked my C8 it's way to big. I'm going to get something smaller. Maybe same but smaller, or one of those galvanised sheetmetal jobbies from Bunnings, and line it with foam & stuff.

http://www.getprice.com.au/toolpro-commando-case-large-gpnc_500--83634657.htm

ShOrEbReAk
03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
cheers guys

will be looking into it more shortly. I like the idea of the cases being tuff enough for the kiddos to stand on hahahahahaha.

Troy

Starless
03-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Troy,
I have used on old steel carpenters toolbox to case the ED80.
The tool box was made to take a saw and so is just the right
length for the ED80 OTA.
I padded it with a heap of polyethylene foam from a computer
carton and some pieces of neoprene rubber sheet.

A couple of coats of white Killrust paint and "it looks like a bought one"
as the saying goes and it is definately strong enough to stand on.

The Obsession rides in the flight case that I bought with it, well
worth the price, it fits everything except the truss poles.

These are in the cardboard tube they were freighted here in.
I gave the tube a couple of coats of white exterior acrylic
paint to damp proof it and it is holding up well.

ShOrEbReAk
04-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Brian

Cheers for the info. I went for a wander down to look at supercheap autos cases and I think I found one for $69.99, plastic abs with supplied padding.

Now my rough measurement of my tube is 500 long by 165 in diameter but adding on the sight tube takes it to 255. Now the case I am looking at is 560x430x215 so should fit if I lie the tube with the sight tube flat side to side if you get my drift hahahahaha. The tripod I may just look for another case or tube and was also thinking PVC pipe cut in half with hinges for lift up lid. The next thing I should think about is the mount also.

How do you guys cut the padding to suit? Just a sharp knife or a speciality tool needed?

Cheers

Troy

Starless
05-01-2015, 12:18 AM
I used a steel ruler and a stanley knife on the polyethylene foam.

My iOptron mount had an optional hard case that I bought with it.
Its pretty much a plastic "Pelican" style case and works well.
The foam in these is partially pre-cut into cubes so you just
pluck out the bits you don't want.

My tripod lives in a heavy waterproof canvas bag with a shoulder
strap of seat belt type webbing.

Bought the bag at a caravan show, made by a company down
Reynella way, cheap and well made.

ShOrEbReAk
05-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Brian

cheers again for the info. If you can remember the name o fun the bag maker can you let me know please.

Keep you posted on my adventures in organising my gear :)

Troy

Starless
06-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Troy,
Working from a notoriously bad memory I think it was these guys.

Hall's Canvas Goods
60 Cottage La, Hackham SA 5163
hallscanvasgoods@adam.com.au

Docrob
11-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Supercheap Auto have a range of ToolPro cases in various sizes which are nearly identical to pelican cases with pick and pluck foam for about 1/3 the price. Here's mine set up with my Tak FS-60C.

Mckechg
20-01-2015, 03:56 PM
I have bought all my cases from Bunnings.

Not as expensive as you think and I even bought a big case for my scope, that my astro buddies claim is a coffin.