PDA

View Full Version here: : Bretti Reserve Star Parties 2015

Pages : [1] 2

glend
02-01-2015, 10:05 AM
I have noticed that the Star Party threads from last year have now been cleaned out (appropriately). So I thought it would be a good idea to start up the Bretti Star Party thread for 2015. This is a place for people heading up to Bretti Reserve (northwest of Gloucester NSW) to contact other IIS members, make arrangments, and schedule meetings up there, etc.

In past years Bretti Reserve has been has been a regular New Moon destination for people looking for a good dark site within reasonable distance of the NSW Central Coast and the Newcastle/Mid-North coast area, as well as people from Sydney. For those that have not attended BRetti in the past, it's at the junction of two small rivers, and is a large free camp area, with plenty of room for IIS groups to setup without getting to close to other campers. Details are here:

http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=605

Note that because Bretti is a free camp reserve there are other users, and it is well liked by the grey nomads (who tend to stay down near the trees and river of the north side). It should be avoided during the NSW school holidays, due to its popularity.

So if your interested in joining other IIS members at this dark site (usually around 21.7+ on the Sky Quality metre, and far away from any light domes or sky glow), just follow this thread and watch for people suggesting trips. Bretti is a great location for both visual observation and imaging activity, but it should be noted that there is no AC power available at the Reserve so you will need to be self-sufficient in power systems (generators are allowed at the site, but please respect the other users when using them, and have battery power to sustain you through the long dark nights if staying up late).

It is worth noting that Bretti is at its best in winter and outside of the holiday periods, so the February New Moon (on the 18th) and that weekend is likely the first time this year that we can expect some interest.

Please consider this your thread for Bretti Dark Site trip planning. There is no organiser, and I won't be spuiking events, it's up to each of you. Hope to see you out there.

Allan
02-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Good on you Glen, getting the Bretti thread up and running again.

I have well and truly got the Summer camping bug out of my system, so I have pencilled in a March return to Bretti this year. New moon is March 20, and I'm on holidays for a month so I will be spending some time there over that period.

absolut
02-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Hi Guys!

Bretti has been awesome and I look forward to some great camping action there in 2015.

I'm working on being there around the new moon in April with a friend and his family. Looking at the calendar it will coincide with the end of the school holidays. Exact dates will be known in a month or 2.

Clear skies!

Allan
02-01-2015, 10:26 PM
G'day Rob. Your April date made me think about IISAC as I remember it is being moved next year. I thought it was later but it's in March, so I will pencil that in instead of Bretti. Will join you for an April session, then May is SPSP.

Arthur Alchin
19-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Don't know about anyone else but the 18th of feb will probably be a trip to Bretti for me

Allan_L
20-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Just had my air conditioner fixed, re-gassed, serviced.
Ready to go.
But need to be back for a commitment Saturday 21st.
Just need final clearance from SWMBO.

Arthur Alchin
22-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Beaut Allan,will catch you there

Arthur Alchin
23-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Beaut Allan,will catch you there

peterl
26-01-2015, 05:08 AM
Hi Guys.
There could be three of us arriving at Bretti on the Friday 20th Feb.
Two of us from Taree, and one keen person from port Macquarie.
we would arrive morning friday and setup by midday approx.would stay two nights and leave sunday morning.
Where are you guys setting up camp? Two of us have commodores and one with 4WD and caravan. On the flat or "Bretti Heights". We have been attending IISAC for a few years and Bretti is looking good as well as it is about 1.5 hrs drive.
looking forward to some imaging there.
thanks
Peter Langdown. :)

uwahl
28-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Weather permitting I will be at Bretti on Fri 20th Feb for my second visit there.

Rick Petrie
30-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Lyn and I will be at Bretti from 18th Feb until 21st. Then proceeding to Coffs Harbour for a couple of weeks.
Hope weather is good???
Probably be locating on the lower flats as difficult to manoeuvre caravan on the heights.
Rick

glend
30-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I will try to get there as well around 18 February for a few days.

Allan_L
02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
I am working towards getting there Monday 16th February, staying the week, with the restriction that Joanne has committed me to an event on the evening of Saturday (21st Feb).
Both are weather permitting.
Can't wait!
Any company welcome :welcome:
(BTW: the air conditioner is now working properly if needed ;) )

Rick Petrie
03-02-2015, 08:40 PM
(BTW: the air conditioner is now working properly if needed ;) )[/QUOTE]

Does that mean you can air condition the whole Bretti valley Al?:P
I may need it.:)

Allan_L
03-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Well Rick... It was like this...
Last November 45*
Invite everyone (IISers) into cool off in the van...
Air con not getting cold enough.
Now serviced and re-gassed.
Hopefully we wont need it.

uwahl
06-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Family commitments have forced me to reschedule Bretti. I will go on Wed or Thurs next week and stay until Wed the following week. I need to spend some time sorting out some ccd camera and guiding issues. Hopefully by Sat or Sun I will be able to do some imaging.

Allan
06-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Weather permitting (cloud, rain, heatwaves) I will be heading to Bretti once I pick Jordan up from school next Friday afternoon (13th Feb). Bundy will be coming as usual and we will do Friday and Saturday nights before leaving on Sunday for school and work.

Don't forget March new moon is IISAC. I know of a few Bretti regulars who are going this year.

glend
09-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Looking at the previous posts related to attendance in February, it appears that there are a fair number of people intending to head up to Bretti next week, albeit at differing times from the 11 -12th right through to the 21st weekend. Plenty of room there for many more.

Allan: Friday the 13th - to Sunday 15th
Allan_L: Monday the 16th till Sat 21st
Arthur: on the 18th till ?
Uwahl: maybe as early as 11-12th till the 18th
Peterl + others: on the 20th
Rick and Lyn: 18th-21st
Glen: 18th (or earlier) -21st

Have I missed anyone?

I will try to get up there earlier (like the 16th) - weather permitting, if i can get the observatory to lock up stage by then.

No ISSAC for me.

Allan_L
11-02-2015, 02:56 PM
weather forecast is looking bleak. :sadeyes:
but I need a break!!! :shrug:
:help: :question: :rolleyes: :confused2:
may have to go anyway :screwy:
what about You :hi:

GTB_an_Owl
11-02-2015, 03:40 PM
off you all go!

take a good book, your wellingtons, plenty of port and apple charlotte, a couple of extra tarps and have a bloody good time

just spare a thought for me being stuck here at home recovering from my op in the morning while all of you are away having fun
i would think there will be no trips away for me for about 2 months, so i want plenty of reports and pics when you get back

remember! - if you never ever go, you never ever know!

PS: take your scopes just in case ( but only if you can fit all the port in )

geoff

uwahl
11-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm off tomorrow afternoon. Mostly packed, just need to stock the fridge and fuel the car. I'll be happy if I get enough clear sky to get a handle on accurate polar alignment. After that attaching the CCD and guide camera and have them play nice with each other and the mount is next on the list. I'll be in heaven if I get to the point where I can acquire my first image.

Not too keen on the heat and humidity.

Will miss Geoff and his port

See you there.:hi:

GTB_an_Owl
11-02-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm sure bottles of port will appear from somewhere Ulrich

geoff

glend
12-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Just looking at the Accuweather extended forecast for Gloucester, it seems that Tuesday and Wednesday of next week might be the best days - plenty of clear skies and sun and not to hot (30), with a low of (17). And despite the coastal forecast I've had two very clear nights here.

Camelopardalis
12-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Sad to say, that's a bit too hot for my delicate condition chaps, so I'll have to sit this one out :sadeyes:

jakob
12-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear that!
I hope you recover soon, we will miss you.
I'm hoping to to be there Monday.

Inmykombi
12-02-2015, 07:04 PM
If the weather is OK, and work allows me, I will be there from Thursday morning.

Allan_L
13-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Hope all goes well with your op Geoff
Our thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery :thumbsup:

I plan to leave home around noon Jakob.
UHF 18 (Happy Campers channel)

jakob
13-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Great!
May catch you on the way.

Arthur Alchin
14-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Hey Geoff ( the owl) sorry to hear your going under the knife, hope all goes well because te alternative isn't that good.

Will try and catch you on the next round, take care

Allan
15-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Just got home. Jordan and I had a great time away together, and we spent some time chatting with Ulrich. Friday night was good for observing until the fog rolled in just after 3.

There was a side show off in the trees as some drugged up young girl decided to get in her car and do burnouts. She ran over a tent and almost killed another young girl. Needless to say there was a lot of yelling and swearing that went on and on well past midnight by all the druggies.

For you guys going this week, someone needs to pack a whipper snipper as the grass is really long.

Just to let you guys know I have some people looking for land around Dunedoo where I can setup up a permanent obs. The weather out there is so much better than Bretti and you won't have to cope with other peoples noise and lights. I hope to build it up and turn it into a nice astronomy facility, and we can have somewhere better to go than Bretti.

Plus, it is going to be home next year to a nice new 32". :cool:

glend
15-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Gee Allan you certainly had an interesting weekend. Re the Obs, I have just completed mine - in my backyard, and just need to do a few internal setup things - like power, when I return from Bretti. I hope that mid-week Bretti will be more quiet. Did you happen to notice if Bretti Heights was over-grown as well? My whipper snipper is electric so that's not going to be much help.
A 32" eh? Obviously a dob. Is this an SDM build?

Inmykombi
15-02-2015, 07:07 PM
It doesn't sound good if there too many " yahoos " there doing burnouts etc. maybe time to try elsewhere.

Allan
15-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Glen, we went for a walk up on Bretti Heights and the grass was just as long. Looks like the cows haven't been through for a while.

I am excited about the new dob. I am sourcing components and design features being used on big dobs in the US, and I am going to give them to Peter Reid at SDM to put it all together for me. There will be nothing else in Australia like it when it's finished. I even came up with a name for it!

peterl
16-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Four of us getting there about friday midday.
will bring grass trimmer. Hopefully grass is not to thick for my machine.
looking forward to it.
Peter Langdown.

Allan_L
16-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Luv it ! Can't Wait !!
reminds me...

Back to Bretti......
It should be calm now school is back in.
Seems the weather is looking OK for the next few days
I'm packing and heading up there today, (16th) to arrive about 3:30
(but no whipper snipper - petrol leak!)

glend
16-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Hopefully the local constabulary do a drive through from time to time. I am sure any grey nomads around that night would get the rego number and report it when they could. The Grey Nomad newsletter ( which yes I subscribe to) has the odd report of antisocial behaviour all around the country - it's not just a Bretti probem. Safety in numbers as well, so as long as we 'circle the wagons' at the usual spot I doubt we will have issues other than wandering cows.

Allan_L
16-02-2015, 11:13 AM
And Remember, in all the years we have been going to Bretti, this is the first reported occasion of this sort of thing happening while any of us have been there.

Also, on the brighter (or not) side, we might thank the local louts for pulling out all the Solar Lights -so many times that council refused to replace them.

anyway, these things seem to quieten down again once the weather cools.

glend
16-02-2015, 01:01 PM
I am heading up there now, fingers crossed for clear nights.

peterl
17-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Looks like lots of rain coming to Bretti on Friday and saturday. Temp dropping to about 24 degrees
so it wont be hot. will see if there are any changes in weather later in the week.
Peter.

GTB_an_Owl
17-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Update on my op _ blood pressure too low during op - kidney failure follows and reaction to antibiotics on the mend now _ just love hospitals

Rick Petrie
17-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Thinking of you mate and hope all is well real soon.
Rick and Lyn

Camelopardalis
18-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Eek Geoff, doesn't sound like much fun :sadeyes: get well soon :D

uwahl
19-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Just back from Bretti. Sorry to hear your op didn't quite go to plan Geoff. The last three nights at Bretti were very good with last night the best of the lot. Dewy after Midnight. Before that the weather was marginal with two to three hours viewing most nights, often early AM. Left the group up there drinking scotch and rum in misty rain - hard life ain't it! :rolleyes:

glend
19-02-2015, 05:06 PM
I returned today from Bretti as well. The rain was obviously going to hang around and we had three good nights so can't be greedy. I recorded Sky Quality Metre readings for all three nights: Mon 21.32 Tue 21.38 Wed 21.42 - however I was sceptical about those reading after hearing about battery issues affecting them - it certainly looked better than that and Bretti can return 21.7+ . I put it down to the heat and humidity - winter will be better. PS. I did check the battery in the SQM and it was the required 9V.

Good turn out, with Allan_L, Uwahl, Jakob and myself having Monday and Tuesday nights to ourselves and then Arthur, Geoff, and Ric and Lyn arrived on Wednesday. I had my imaging run going till 2am last night before dew and dwindling power forced retirement.

Allan_L
21-02-2015, 10:33 PM
What a great trip this was.
Great (dark) skies
Great company
Great spirits ;) (... and wines, and fortifieds )
Thanks to Jakob, GlenD, Ulrich, Arthur, Geoff (Kombi), Rick & Lyn for the good company.

Geoff (owl) Hope you are back to your normal bright self again soon

GTB_an_Owl
22-02-2015, 09:23 AM
so you all pack up saturday!

geoff

Allan_L
22-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Well... the Port ran out Friday night about midnight...need I say more :rolleyes:

GTB_an_Owl
22-02-2015, 11:24 PM
so nobody had any beer or scotch left?

this under provisioning will have to stop!

geoff

glend
23-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Casual followers of this thread please note that the Bretti trips are not piss ups and anything consumed is in moderation.

absolut
24-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Hi all,

Postulating some dates for Bretti in April... the new moon coincides with the end of the school holidays, so I'm in 2 minds about which dates to aim for.
I started out thinking 15 - 19 April would be good, but that during school holidays. Do we think it might be better to start on the Sunday(19)/Monday(20) and go for a few days that week when we know there won't be any school holiday related mischief?

Which dates work best for those that would be going?

Rob

glend
24-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Rob i have a family commitment on the 19th so I would not be able to go until the Monday the 20th which is the day the school kids go back. Don't forget Anzac Day is later that week- Saturday and people might be taking long weekends over the 24th onward. So my preference is the period after the 19th if I go.

Allan
24-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Rob I will have my roster by Monday for the period over April new moon, so I will let you know when I can come then. You still going to IISAC? I'll be there from Thursday.

absolut
24-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Hey Allan!

Sadly, I have to miss IISAC this year. I had been looking forward to it, but March hasn't worked out very well with being able to get any time off. :(

Bretti will be my first chance to see everyone (and the stars) this year, so I hope the conditions are worthy! :)

Allan
27-02-2015, 09:28 PM
I fly out on the 19th of April after 5 weeks leave. Not good timing considering that's new moon. So my only option is the week leading up to the 19th even though the place will probably be chock full of people. I might even try for a more private spot out west somewhere. Sorry Rob, I know that's not much help for you.

SPSP is in May, any chance you will make that one?

absolut
14-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Turns out my friend and his kids are only available the week around the full moon in Easter, so he won't be able to come in April either, so I decided to go to IISAC instead. ( may still go tp Bretti in April )

I am giving SPSP a thought. I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of large events, I'll pick your brain about it at IISAC. :D

I can't wait to see everyone and play with some new toys. :D

glend
16-03-2015, 10:05 AM
The Bretti situation seems to be: No one going in March due to IISCA; Rob and Allan have withdrawn April interest. Are there others interested in Bretti for April (say after the school holidays end - 20th onward)?

uwahl
16-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Currently I plan to go to Bretti in April and May. I am going to IISAC but not SPSS. Have not decided on precise dates as yet and as always it's contingent on the weather.

glend
22-03-2015, 09:41 AM
For those who had a disappointing March New Moon there's always Bretti in April. Daylight savings will be gone and the little moon starting to reappear will be setting before twilight ends - so plenty of darkness from the 19th onward for most of that week. Remember that NSW school holidays end on Monday the 20th so Bretti will be its usual quiet place from the 19th onward. Hope to see you there. And Uwahl I want to see those images.

uwahl
22-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Current thinking is that I go to Bretti on the 20th for however long the weather holds up to 5 days max.

skullmurphy
25-03-2015, 01:13 AM
Looking to be at Bretti from 19th April for my first star camp there..

I said to glenD last year that I was looking at going then but life got in the way which I think l can prevent happening again.unless the house rendering that is currently underway has problems.

Had a great time at Lostock for IISAC2015 last week even though we had just one night of observing. The swimming hole was great The fireside yarn in drizzling rain and steamboat dinner of prawns, squid, chicken and beef on Friday night more than made up for the disappointing weather.

I have been told that the facilities at Bretti are less than Lostock. Is it near a creek or river and how would you describe the site in a bit more ddetail such as road in and layout of the place...?

Skull

:thanx:

Allan
25-03-2015, 09:30 AM
G'day Scott. Road in is Thunderbolts Way which is a pretty decent main road. So nothing like getting to Lostock. There is a couple of creeks at Bretti for collecting water if you bring your own shower along. The only facilities are toilets. No power either.

Weather there is similiar to Lostock type conditions. So the way it rolled at IISAC last weekend is pretty much how the weather works at Bretti as well. It is much darker at Bretti though and that is it's main quality. SQM at Lostock was around 21.3, but at Bretti I have seen up to 21.8 in the past. When it gets to that it does feel noticeably dark.

glend
25-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Scott just adding a little to Allan's comments, here is a link to some information on Bretti Reserve (which is managed by Gloucester Council).

http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=605

You can find more information on the Net by just doing a search on 'Bretti Reserve'.

It sits at the junction of two small rivers, so there is plenty of water around for showers (but you cannot drink it - so bring your own drinking water).

It is a popular 'Free Campground' and thus is on the Grey Nomad circuit and there are always a few caravans positioned at spots down by the river. We usually try to setup at the far end from the entry road on a flat spot just east of the green toilet shed.

As Allan indicated it is one of the darkest places we have found so far, and its better than Chaffey Dam up near Nundle.

Just one word of warning: It is a popular spot for family camping during the school holidays and can get crowded during that period. Large groups from Newcastle, and other places sometimes setup there during the holiday period and can be noisy. However, its a very big area and it is usually possible to get away from them, and Bretti Heights was used during the September School holiday period last year (which corresponded with the New Moon). Bretti Heights is the first ridge above the valley floor to the south of the main camping area. It's a little further to walk to the toilets but that is one factor that makes it usually available. There is a flat top area on the ridge that is fine for camping, but bring a shovel - the reason being that cows occasionally are allowed to graze on the reserve (not during the holiday period that I know of) and the little piles they leave behind might need to be moved from your camp area.

Finally, power; there is no electricity at Bretti, which is part of it's charm in my book; but this means you need to be self-sufficient in power, whether its batteries or a generator or solar panels etc. If your going to be running your scope all night, especially if imaging, you need to know how much power you will need. Obviously running generators late at night is not a good idea for your neighbors but during the day and early evening they are fine (especially when you can shroud them in some way).

If you have a caravan your taking along there is plenty of flat area on the valley floor, but up on the ridge there is less space for caravans but I have seen them up there.

Looking forward to seeing you there. Remember NSW School Holidays does not finish until Sunday the 19th, so if you go earlier expect it to be busy. After mid-day on the 19th they will be leaving and it will revert to the quite spot we all like so much.:eyepop:
You can probably meet up with someone heading up there on that day so following them is an easy option to finding the place and the access road. It's paved all the way down the hill to the valey floor and then gravel and dirt for a few hundred metres across the valley floor.

I may not get there until Monday the 20th as I have a family function on Sunday in Sydney but there will be others there on the 19th I believe (Ulrich will be I think).

Camelopardalis
26-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I'll add that there are a couple of good cafes in Gloucester, so if you're roughing it by tent then that's a good option too.

The Bretti Heights area is a fairly long flat area that we tried out when the main field was occupied. The added bonus up there is that the horizon is slightly lower and buys you a little extra time if the fog rolls in. However, it may be a little more susceptible to cattle incursions, as Glen described!

uwahl
29-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Hi all. I won't be at Bretti until the 20th. I haven't had more than three days at home in one stretch for six weeks now and some maintenance jobs need to be done! The 12 days between our Easter camp in Oberon and my trip to Bretti are much needed.

Allan_L
29-03-2015, 10:59 PM
April 20th seems good for me for Bretti also.
[standard disclaimer re weather and SWMBO]

GTB_an_Owl
30-03-2015, 11:15 PM
geez i am tempted!

just don't know whether i will have recovered enough

geoff

uwahl
31-03-2015, 07:01 PM
I'd like to see you (and your port!) there Geoff but don't go unless you are sure you're OK. In the past when recovering from illness I have felt fine sitting around at home but much worse when I tried to get out and about.

GTB_an_Owl
31-03-2015, 08:24 PM
your right Ulrich
when i have had to walk any distance, i have not fared so well
i think i have to start walking a bit more regular

geoff

skullmurphy
01-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone,

Well as the 20th April seems the popular choice for start day of April camp at Bretti I will change from the 19th to 20th.

I will also be trying out a rental camper trailer for the camp after going to the the Camping Supershow at Rosehill the week prior to see if the old 2wd 1995 hilux ute can at least tow a somewhat lighter low spec camper trailer before buying a decked out one for trekking to star camps and other parts of Australia.

Anybody had experience with camper trailers for use with normal onroad travel with occasional offroad use....???

See you on the 20th.

Skull :thanx:

Allan
03-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Quite a bit of difference between Bretti and heading just a couple of hours inland.

glend
03-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Allan, typical BOM catagorisation, mostly the Mid-North Coast forecast is accurate for the coast fringe areas like Taree. The Hunter area forecasts suffer the same problem, they might look terrible for Newcastle but once you get to the upper valley things are very different. I know from your past comments about flying over the coast cloud band, that your aware that while cloud might be covering the coast it can be clear 50 kilometres inland.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for finding a useable location further inland as a destination, but Bretti is not that bad, and certainly better than the coast most of the time.

Allan
03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
That Bretti forecast is for Mount Seaview which is north of Bretti. But you are right, at least Bretti can be better than the coast.

glend
07-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Just a quick reminder about the April New Moon trip to Bretti. NSW school holidays finishes up on the 19th, so from the 20th onward Bretti should be ideal for astronomy. Too soon to judge the weather but we are due for a good one.

GTB_an_Owl
10-04-2015, 06:29 PM
thread is a bit quiet folks!

who is getting their gear to-gether and watching the forecast?

geoff

skullmurphy
10-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Hi Geoff I certainly am looking forward to Bretti in 10 days...... I definitely need to get away for a few days......

The rental camper trailer mentioned earlier will be a new experience and hopefully BETTER weather is on the agenda and the dob can do its thing.......

Will you be going and have you got an observing schedule for objects you want to see at the camp ???

Skull :)

GTB_an_Owl
10-04-2015, 10:11 PM
i am looking for every reason i can muster to have a trip away

observing schedule! - what is that? - i just look up at whatever argo navis says is up there

if weather is a bit iffy i might not even pack the scope - a few days just camping will do just fine
have to find time for a couple of jobs on the van though

geoff

Allan
10-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I am heading off this Sunday morning and touring around for a week before I have to head back to work. I would love to get to Bretti with you guys but work has gotten in the way this time around. I thought I would head out west for a change, and I've found a few places that might be good for observing.

I hope the weather is good for Bretti week and everyone gets in some good observing and imaging.

I am going to SPSP in May, but I plan to be at Bretti as long as the weather is co-operating from June onwards for the rest of the year.

glend
10-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Going back through recent posts it looks like Skull, Ulrich, Allan_L, and myself have indicated that we will try to be there on the 20th onward - weather permitting of course. So Owl you should have company there if you go.

GTB_an_Owl
11-04-2015, 01:27 AM
LONG RANGE FORECAST = Freezer Suit Weather :P :)

geoff

Allan_L
11-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Do tell Allan :hi:
I have the van booked for a service Tuesday afternoon, but after that ...

Allan
11-04-2015, 08:40 PM
G'day Allan. I'm thinking I might be around Coolah on Wednesday if you're keen. I should have internet most of the time so feel free to send me a PM.

Ken
12-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Hi off to Bretti this friday to sunday to check it out bringing Ian [ I.C.D.] and our better halves along. Ian has a new van and is keen to try it out, hope the weather is kind. Might catch up with some of you guys.
Clear skies Ken.

GTB_an_Owl
12-04-2015, 10:26 PM
take your gumboots Ken

http://weather.gtbonline.com.au/index.php/7timer-bretti

geoff

Camelopardalis
13-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I'd probably be up for a couple of nights if the weather wasn't looking so miserable..it's been truly atrocious recently :sadeyes:

glend
13-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Dunk, I have had a couple of great nights up here over the last two despite the forecast it cleared after dark and allowed some good imaging runs with my cooled full spectrum camera running at -10C. Need to work out how much battery power I need to take to Bretti. If you can get up there for a couple of days next week it maybe well worth it.

Have a look here at just one (3 minute 30 second) test sub from Saturday night (yes there is a little dirt on the sensor around the middle right side):

http://www.astrobin.com/full/171762/0/

Ken be aware that this coming weekend is the last weekend of the school holidays and Bretti is usually fairly busy then but by late Sunday they should be gone.

GTB_an_Owl
13-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Dunk - i wouldn't take much notice of the long range forecast
it has been changing from good to bad daily

i am making preparations and will be going if at all possible

geoff

Camelopardalis
13-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Looking good Glen! It's just been so changeable. I don't have an obsy and it's a real effort attempting good polar alignment with all the skyline obstructions.

I'll prolly load up at the weekend and if the rain clears I should be OK to head up Mon or Tue if it's looking promising :D

GTB_an_Owl
13-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Dunk

get yourself a tarp and a couple of poles big enough to go over your tent and give you a covered area at the front of the tent

geoff

uwahl
13-04-2015, 10:40 PM
I'm still on track for Mon 20th.

Allan_L
14-04-2015, 06:52 AM
I have a doctor's appointment today with my skin cancer specialist.
AND
My Van has an appointment with its mechanical specialist.

Depending on the prognosis of these two, still on track for Bretti next Monday.

Not sure about Coolah (very tempting but)... I have several eBay transactions ending in the next couple of days
... selling... IXON ladies motorcycle jacket and several ladies camping shirts (all as new and to fit ladies size 10)
... Bidding on... preloved telescope (of course ;))

glend
14-04-2015, 08:46 AM
It's a concern that you even have a skin cancer specialist, implying some problem in the past. Hope all turn out well.

Now what is this scope your chasing?

glend
14-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Just checked the extended forecast and it's not looking great for next week, and the charts showing a rain band coming in from the soutwest on the weekend are another concern. Fingers crossed it all blows through and fine's up from Monday but contingency plans might be a good idea.
Actually the next couple of nights look pretty good so i will be out in the observatory 'hopefully'.

Ken
14-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Forcast looks iffy for the weekend might see something friday night, looks like packing up wet sunday. Good just to get away, might have to pack a few more drinks lol.
Clear skies Ken.

Allan_L
15-04-2015, 07:49 AM
I had a malignant melanoma surgically removed 4 years ago.
Gotta keep an eye on it for recurrence or spread to other regions.
Todays results: so far so good.
Although he did "freeze off" (Cryotherapy - liquid nitrogen - ouch!) about 20 sun spots from my face so its a bit tender for a week or so.
I thought it looked interesting, and worth a one off bid, but I have been outbid and won't pursue it now.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221739217684?_trksid=p2055359.m1431 .l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Excellent!
Me too
So...
C'mon weather spirits - give us a break for a change :mad2:

GTB_an_Owl
15-04-2015, 07:30 PM
i think we might be in trouble when the local forecast matches that for bretti for next week

hope it changes for the better

geoff

Allan_L
15-04-2015, 10:42 PM
YES, checked the weather for Coolah, Bretti, Chaffey Dam, and Mangrove Mountain, for this week and next.
ALL Very discouraging. :mad2:

uwahl
16-04-2015, 07:37 PM
The weather looks awful for next week. It doesn't look like it will be worth going unless there's an improvement. If there is a change at the end of the week I might go up then and stay the weekend even though it's the first quarter moon

skullmurphy
16-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Well as I already have paid half the rental on the camper trailer I will go anyway despite the gloomy outlook weatherwise.

This trip lets me experience the camper trailer lifestyle for the first time rain or no rain and helps in my search of the style of of mobile accommodation that will suit Jenny and myself for further escapades in retirement.

We now also have acquired a 2008 Holden Colorado diesel 4wd crewcab so towing now shouldn't be a problem whatever we eventually get.

I was hoping to get into some variable star observing at Bretti, something I use to do in the early 70s but if the rain stuffs that well more socialising will be in order.

Skull :windy: :astron:

glend
17-04-2015, 03:03 AM
Skull congrats on the Colorado, which happens to use a variant of the engine tha's in my Jeep. Generally trouble free and long lived. Good luck with the weather and you may yet have company as the weather forecast, or actual, can change.

Allan_L
17-04-2015, 07:23 AM
I want to go, but 5 days of rain... I mean really ...
and there is not much to do there at the best of times...
perhaps it is time for a major rethink...
is anybody else still seriously considering it ?

Is there anywhere in this state that looks like being dry next week?
Open to ANY suggestions

glend
17-04-2015, 08:28 AM
If there is any good news in the forecast its that the rain looks to be arriving a day early. What was forecast for Saturday seems to be hitting today - hopefully that means by Monday it may looking brighter for the rest of the week.

Allan_l you might have to drive along way to get out from under the cloud. I just did an extended forecast search on Accuweather, and found sunny days from Wednesday onward but you have to go to Nyngan to find it. Nyngan is a day's drive.

Uwahl may have a good point about next Anzac Day weekend. With the returnng sliver of moon setting at 10, 11pm and midnight on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the 24-26th there is still a good long period of dark skies if you can alter your sleep patterns to use it. But if there has been much rain out there, dew might be a big issue and the inevitable fog. I could go later in the week & Anzac weekend if it looks promising, but then as an imager now I can setup my system and go to bed, or sit with the hardy folk for a glass of some warming beverage. There is hope. Let's see what happens in the next couple of days.

GTB_an_Owl
17-04-2015, 12:19 PM
the following week is promising on 7Timer

geoff

uwahl
17-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Just looked at the weather for Gloucester next week and its showers or heavy rain every day until Fri. :sadeyes: Have just about given up going next week unless a miracle occurs. Will re evaluate towards the end of next week and may go on Fri or Sat if clear.

Ulrich

glend
17-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Ulrich don't take that forecast too seriously at this point. Gloucester gets lumped in with the Mid-North Coast (Taree) forecast, so it will show the coastal forecast despite being inland a fair way. I take your point though, and the Bureau never seems to want to paint a rosy picture in any forecast. Let's see what next week brings.

Camelopardalis
17-04-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm in the wait and see camp, but I'm not getting my hopes up for next week :sadeyes:

glend
18-04-2015, 03:13 AM
Mean while, I just came inside after four hours in the observatory under clear skies. It was cloudy and I went out to lock the garage and there was a black sky and stars! Must not let this chance slip by, so the imaging ran until just before 3 when the cloud started to come back. That will do me for awhile.:D

glend
19-04-2015, 07:06 AM
It looks like thd BOM may have got this forecast wrong, with the satellite photo showing no cloud to the west looming and the rest heading out to sea. There was some light rain in a solid band that passed ovrr the central coast lsst night but radar shows it out to sea with nothing behind it. Certainly showers can develop during the day but the big rain event may have been a fizzer. The BOM early forecast is still sticking to their old forecast. So all may not be lost for this week, fingers crossed.

GTB_an_Owl
19-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Glen - my understanding is that a low is going to develop out to sea and bombard the coast with a rain event for about 3 days

geoff

Camelopardalis
19-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Wunderground is suggesting there's an increasing chance some clear sky time and decreasing chance of rain from Wednesday onwards. Like any art form, weather forecasting doesn't necessarily have any scientific value or grip on reality :lol:

jakob
19-04-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm loading up now!
No tarp required.
:D

GTB_an_Owl
19-04-2015, 07:17 PM
you got sides for your awning and strong tie down ropes jacob? :D

geoff

Allan_L
19-04-2015, 11:02 PM
when are you heading up Jakob?
packing a scope?

jakob
20-04-2015, 06:43 AM
Mid morning.
Yes !!!!!
Hope to see you.

glend
20-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Jakob I would suggest checking conditions with the Gloucester Visitors Centre before you leave. Their number is (02) 6558-1408.

Weather radar at Newcastle still shows activity over the Bretti area and the Bureau forecsst still predicts rain for Monday and Tuesday with improvement after that.

I'd just hate to see you have a bad time up there, but with your self-contained motorhomes both you and Allan_L are best equipped to wait it out, enjoy wet weather camping, and be the first to benefit when it clears. Drive safely.

Allan_L
20-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Jakob,
You can't trust the forecasters, I agree, however their grim warnings about 200mm of rain and gale force winds over the next 48 hours prompt me to err on the side of caution. :eek: :windy:

Why don't you drop in here on the way and we can discuss it over a coffee.
I would be happy to have you camp here for a day or so and we can then go on up together Tuesday arvo or Wednesday morning.

Open invitation.

GTB_an_Owl
20-04-2015, 12:49 PM
flood watch for central coast and manning valley including Gloucester

"minor to moderate flooding" expected

from channel 3, NBN weather - 1 hour ago

geoff

uwahl
20-04-2015, 04:19 PM
I will reassess on Tue. Going on Wed is the current plan.

Ulrich

glend
20-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Sadly I am starting to view this week as a wash out. Starting to think of the May New Moon (a long weekend one) in four weeks.

GTB_an_Owl
20-04-2015, 06:44 PM
i'm thinking if it clears a bit wednesday to allow me to pack and finish a little job, thursday might be the start of a few good days

geoff

glend
20-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Geez I hope no one went up there today. This storm is incredible. Did Jakob get to your place Allan_l? Hope he stayed home. And poor Skull picked up his rental campertrailer today.

GTB_an_Owl
20-04-2015, 10:24 PM
according to the BOM radar there hasn't been much rain north of Gloucester - at least when i have been looking
but i bet the river is sounding good

geoff

skullmurphy
20-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Well I picked up the rental camper trailer and brought it home and intend to spend the night in it the driveway to test it out in the rotten weather we are having at the moment....

I have it to drop back to the dealer by Friday or can extend till Saturday by paying $70 extra so if Bretti is improving by Wednesday then maybe I can have 2 or 3 nights up there hopefully.....

It would be dewy I suppose whatever happens....

Skull

:confused2:

glend
20-04-2015, 11:43 PM
It (the storm) is suppose to move north tomorrow. The wind is really bad here. Skull I reckon you trying to put up that campertrailer in this storm is surefire way of getting it to fly.;)

Allan_L
21-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Jakob did not contact me.
I assume he is up there, based on his last post.
As for skull, this wind reminds me of my first night in a camper trailer.
I thought the wind would rip it apart.

And apparently there is a chance it will intensify over night.
At least those two rivers should get a good flush out.

Fingers crossed for everyone effected, and for a quick end to this stormy weather.
I am still looking to getting up there as soon as it starts to improve.

GTB_an_Owl
21-04-2015, 01:02 AM
yes Glen - the BOM MSLP would suggest to-morrow will see it move a little more inland and northward but possibly clear around wednesday lunch time

well i hope it does

geoff

glend
21-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Rescues going on at Stroud now, due to flooding according to tv news. With reports of a school bus washed off the road.

Heard reports of over 200mm of rain in Bulahdelah in last 24 hours.

All those little rivers that we cross on the way to Gloucester are flooding now.

Camelopardalis
21-04-2015, 10:17 AM
According to the BOM rain has eased substantially since 5am, and there is a "heads-up" of minor flooding around Gloucester.

They also say the system is expected to head south through today.

Yay more rain down here. The BOM is reporting 171mm at Wahroonga since 9am yesterday.

It then becomes a question of how wet the ground is, and of course whether the clouds clear :D

Allan_L
21-04-2015, 10:30 AM
According to the BOM at midnight last night, the rainfall at Gloucester in previous 24 hrs was 0.00mm.

The radar has been below Gloucester when I checked it each time.
And I heard it will move south today.

If Jakob is up there, he might have made the best choice of us all.

Floods and rescues between there and his home are a worry though.

They say Central Coast will be worst today.
We have been blacked out here since 4am today and no sign of restoration.
Thank Goodness for my big camping generator.
Tree down next door, luckily fell away from my van.

Hope everyone else is OK.

Bretti still saying 0.0mm rainfall and wind is a measly 9km/h with temp 20.7 with sunny breaks.
LETS GO THERE.
Oh I forgot we can't get there!!!

glend
21-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I am completely cut off now. A big tree just came down across the intersection at the top of my street and brought down the power lines with it. The other end of the street is blocked by a tree as well. The SES will get to it eventually but I think their priority will be the houses that have lost their roofs, or flooded properties.

I understand there is another Low coming in tonight, according to the SES guy on TV, and so it continues.:shrug:

uwahl
22-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Has anyone heard from Jakob? Did he go to Bretti and if so is he OK?

Ulrich

Camelopardalis
22-04-2015, 11:13 AM
If he got up there, he might be oblivious to what's gone on around here as there's no signal...and he no doubt fared better than we did (hopefully).

Allan_L
22-04-2015, 01:10 PM
I am hoping to get up there tomorrow if we get power restored here.
But I Can't leave the missus to fend for herself without power.

And If the buckets way is open.

Weather Looks positive for next few days.
May stay to Monday.
note to self.. Gumboots to pack

Hope Jakob is still there.

jakob
22-04-2015, 01:56 PM
I left Bretti Tuesday and moved further west.
I'm in Moree at the moment, its sunny here but still a few clouds.

Enjoying the thermal pools:P:P:P

Not sure about my next move.

Allan_L
22-04-2015, 03:01 PM
good to hear from you Jakob. :hi:
Was there a problem at Bretti that caused you to leave?
If not, are you intending to go back to Bretti, or will we move the star party to you (wherever that will be) ...
Bretti Forecast is for clear skies Friday Saturday Sunday Monday.
I am packing but my departure depends on when my house is reconnected to the power grid.
But I am happy to meet up with you if you have some better plan. ;)

GTB_an_Owl
22-04-2015, 10:22 PM
i might be able to leave friday and stay over weekend - monday maybe

geoff

jakob
22-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Alan,
I left Bretti because of the questionable forecast and lack of company!

I could move back there when the clouds clear.
Let me know when you are able to get there.

I'm just having a rest and taking it easy.
Cheers J.

Ken
23-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Went to Bretti on Friday clouds cleared about 10pm but was foggy, unfortunately we had a crazy man camped near us fighting and screaming at his family. After the last screaming match at midnight on saturday it poured, a window was left open right over my wife's laptop. Packed up sunday morning wet, not our best camping weekend.
Clear skies Ken.

Camelopardalis
23-04-2015, 11:32 AM
I'd hoped to get up there, but won't be able to make it now due to a Docs appt :mad2:

Allan_L
23-04-2015, 12:34 PM
power still out, approaching 60 hours off the grid.
Still running power (generator), food, and hot water to several neighbours.

Jo said I could go anyway, until she remembered, that even if I left her the generator, she did not know how to use it; and did not fancy lugging it in and out of the weather.

So I am home another day it seems, unless Ausgrid fixes our area shortly.

But anyway, I have not heard if the Buckets Way has been re-opened at Stroud etc.. Not to mention Thunderbolt Way river crossings.

Does anyone have an update on them.

Weather reports forecasts have been conflicting:
Foxweather says another front is coming with rain Saturday and Sunday, whereas NBN Newcastle says it will be brilliant sunny from now till Wednesday.

I prefer the second option.

GTB_an_Owl
23-04-2015, 12:50 PM
check on here Al

https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html

some problems at hexam bridge on both sides

geoff

uwahl
23-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Can't make it this time - I have a bit of a mess to clean up in the back yard (nothing serious) plus I cleverly left the tailgate in the twin cab ute open during a serious rain shower and got a lot of camp gear soaked. Thankfully none of the scope stuff got wet.:screwy:

Ulrich

glend
23-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Being realistic it will be May New Moon for me, only three weeks away as I'll try to go up on Friday the 15th. Have too much clean up and drainage work to do, my generator is out on loan, and the weather is still too dicey - not to mention the growing moon. Best wishes to those going in coming days.

GTB_an_Owl
23-04-2015, 07:23 PM
i have finished my project on the van but probably can't leave till Sat morning
need to clear the van out and repack

probably won't take the scope (take too long to get it all to-gether)

will be able to stay till Tue

is anyone still going ?

geoff

jakob
23-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Not much time left, I need to be home Monday pm.
I was going to get to Bretti via Walcha tomorrow. But the Clouds will probably have the same plan!
I'm in Moree at the moment and will now stay another day.
That would leave one night at Bretti.
What are the chances for a clear night?

I wait for the Owls prediction! :question:

GTB_an_Owl
23-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi Jakob

7Timer = frid nite clear - sat nite rain. clear after midnite - sun nite clear

geoff

Allan_L
23-04-2015, 09:33 PM
I am still keen for a few nights under the stary sky.
Jakob I think that is 2 Bretti nights for you, isn't it ... Sat n Sun, if going Home Mon.
for me, I just don't know when we will get power back on here.
But I can stay up there till Mon night, once I get there (home Tuesday)
But want Company.
:shrug:

jakob
23-04-2015, 11:45 PM
But that is pushing it, my history of packing up is not very good.

Lets see what happens with your power? (solar not working?) :P

Geoff thanks, so that means Friday Clouds, Sat clear and Sun don't know :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

skullmurphy
24-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Hi people,

Unfortunately circumstances have worked against me once again with storm flooding downstairs in computer room and games room Wednesday on two occasions .... Power resumed today at Caves Beach....Seem destined not to get to Bretti again as I have to get the camper trailer back Friday or Saturday if I asked for an extra day on the rental and that leaves no time for the trip......

I need to return the camper trailer to Heatherbrae and was planning to Thursday afternoon as it has been in my yard apart from driving it around to get used to it in the local area since Monday.... It did keep me dry when I slept in it for a couple of rainy nights.

Unfortunately Johnnos was continually having an engaged signal and other Heatherbrae businesses were the same or ringing out along with Hexham Bridge road closure and other water problems toward Raymond Terrace.

I also heard of damage to Bucketts Way near Stroud so maybe an attempt to get to Bretti maybe futile at this stage at least.

Hopefully see you all in May new moon.....

Skull :question::question:

glend
24-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Jakob, re solar roof top systems, they do not produce power during grid outages - usually. There is a lockout when the grid goes down for safety purposes supposedly. However, if you have a battery storage bank attached you should be able to use it. Ironic that your roof would still be generating power but your prevented from using it - I am sure many solar system home owners are pondering that question this past week.
Another good reason for going off grid entirely.

Allan_L
24-04-2015, 05:40 AM
You are right Glen.
It is disappointing that it goes off-line when grid is down but you can't have people charging the grid while they are working on it.
Scott unbelievably bad luck.
Try for a refund or reduction or discount on your next hire.
Jakob I might just have to join you for a few days there.
If ever we get restored here for power that is.
Working in the dark again this morning.:sadeyes:

GTB_an_Owl
24-04-2015, 02:56 PM
almost packed

food box, kitchen box, beer, port, pillows, water to go and i can be off whenever

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
24-04-2015, 02:58 PM
hot off the press

Re your email concerning Bucketts Way and Bretti, the Bucketts Way is open and Bretti reserve is also open, we haven’t had much rain in Gloucester.

Regards,

Dianne (volunteer)

Allan_L
24-04-2015, 09:31 PM
After 90 hours imprisonment on the Dark Side, we have finally returned to the light.
Power restored.
Now ... !!! ??? :question: :question: :question:

jakob
24-04-2015, 10:27 PM
I can be in bretti tomorrow.
It will be nice to catch up with you both.
I hope it all works out
In anicipation, j.
Geoff, will you bring a volunteer?

GTB_an_Owl
24-04-2015, 10:42 PM
volunteer for what Jakob?

just a few things to pack and i will be on my way in the morning Jakob

see you then

hope you can make it Al

geoff

Allan_L
25-04-2015, 05:22 AM
me too!
Haven't spoken to Jo about it but sure I can be away by mid morning

GTB_an_Owl
25-04-2015, 09:39 AM
on my way 9-45am

just need to get petrol and ice on the way up

geoff

Allan_L
25-04-2015, 10:44 AM
On my way 10:45
stopping at Gloucester Woollies for supplies

UHF 18

glend
25-04-2015, 12:40 PM
No need to remind anyone of the ANZAC Day events today up that way. Might be a good idea to use the truck bypass at Gloucester. The pubs will be very busy but it's a good experience if you take the time to stop. Anyone heading up this afternoon should not have any problems, but there maybe more traffic than usual around Gloucester.

Enjoy, sorry I can't make it.

Allan_L
28-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Back today from very nice 4 day Bretti camping trip.
observed a little each night.
educated some campers.
had a good time.
thanks to Jakob and Geoff for making the effort to get there.
till next time.:hi:

GTB_an_Owl
28-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Yep - was great to get away for the first time after my op in feb
my home built awning worked a treat - now to make improvements for ease of set up and pull down
wonder if we will get enough good weather to let me do it in time for the next trip in three weeks time

thanks for the company guys

geoff

jakob
29-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Yep, enjoyable days.
Thanks for sharing your Scope Al.
Sorry I had to leave early.

Next time I will unpack my gear also!

Good to see the Owl back to strength again.:thumbsup:

ps. Our phone and Internet still cut-off, est. repair 6/5th :mad2:

glend
29-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Jakob, Geoff, and Allan, Good to hear you had an enjoyable time.

Allan_L were the gumboots and grass trimmer required this time? I might get a grass trimmer for next time I go.

Allan_L
29-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Gum boots taken but not used.
they got very little rain over last week or two.
trimmer forgotten but would have been usefully in spots.
Bretti Heights grass over knee height. A real mess.
down on the flats was better But obviously no cows cutting grass or the other things.

{edit: removed off thread posts}

jakob
30-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Bad luck!
I'm at the Rouse Hill shopping ctr. to use the WiFi.

Cheers.

glend
01-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Well two weeks from today I hope to be able to get back to Bretti for a great long weekend. The New Moon is on the the 18th Monday but good darkness is available over the whole weekend as well. If this latest rain event gets out of the way in the next few days hopefully it will be dry.
Spoke to Skull on the phone recently and he indicated he would be trying to get there for the May New Moon as well.
I will try to remember to bring the grass trimmer. Thanks to Allan_L, Geoff, and Jakob for the site report.
We are certainly overdue for a clear dry new moon, fingers crossed.

glend
05-05-2015, 12:15 AM
I have noticed that South Pacific Star Party organiser has put up a wonderful four day forecast for the new moon weekend, here's hoping it is widespread and covers Bretti as well. Anyone aiming at a long weeknd at Bretti for the new moon?

uwahl
05-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Weather permitting I am. Surely we must strike some clear new moon periods soon.
:astron:

Allan_L
05-05-2015, 08:27 AM
I am thinking the week before might suit me better.
Still considering options.
From experience, better to plan pre new moon, so that if weather is bad, then you still have post new moon to fall back on.

But a trend I have noticed is that Visual observers seem to prefer PRE New Moon
while
Imagers seem to prefer POST New Moon.
(I guess that is because they can "set and forget")

FYI Moonrise from next Monday (11/5) is not until near midnight (then 40mins later each night)

Fizics
05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi all, like your idea Allan re next week. I would be interested in trying next week if weather outlook is still favourable.

glend
05-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Allan I could go up as early as say Tuesday the 12th and stay as long as the weather is good. Your right the waning moon will not be a factor that week until very late, I think it rises at 12:49am on Wednesday morning (which would ensure a good Tuesday night), and giving longer and longer completely dark nights the rest of the week ( rising at 01:55 on Thursday, 03:01 on Friday, and 04:08 on Saturday AM). I suggested the (long) weekend as it probably best suits the people that might be working. It seems both Scott (Skull) and Ulrich (Uwhal) might attend but not sure when they could get there.

Your right that imagers might tend to prefer the wee small hours to operate but IMHO this is because stray light from other campers is minimal at that time. It also good to start up after the dew settles as the seeing seems to be better, and imagers always seem to need to manage power carefully so that they don't run out so the wee hours allow plenty of setup time, social hours, etc and they can sleep for periods if automated enough...

In general there is enough darkness at this time of year to suit everyone, if we can just get a good weather window.

John it would be great to catch up with you - its seems ages.

glend
05-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Update 1: Skull (Scott) rang me this afternoon and confirmed that he will attend Bretti - probably next week. He is organising his camper trailer hire now.

Update 2: Scott messaged me to confirm he has the camper organised and will go to Bretti on Monday the 11th and plans to stay till Friday.

So weather permitting, at the moment the list is:

Skull, Allan_L, Fizics, glend, Uwahl, ??

From Monday or Tuesday till ??? - I can stay all week, don't know about others except Fizics that has to leave for work on Thursday.

Anyone going up on Monday the 11th I can put you in touch with Scott.

uwahl
06-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I am in for Wed and will stay until the Mon.

Ulrich

glend
07-05-2015, 08:56 AM
I am planning on heading to Bretti on Monday the 11th (assuming my new ED100 arrives before then) with intentions (and provisions) to stay a week as long as the weather stays to forceast. Even Geoff's 7timer forecast looks good. Skull messaged me and he is also heading up on Monday with his camper trailer. I will take a grass trimmer with me which I can run off the generator.

I'll be bringing my iStar long refractor, the ED100, and the imaging newt. Should be able to setup the safety filtered ED100 for solar observation during the day.

Anyone else heading up on Monday? Allan_L, John? Others?

All IIS members are welcome, plenty of room, and its free camping. Bring dew heaters, and warm clothes.:eyepop:

Allan_L
07-05-2015, 12:46 PM
YES. Planning on Monday at this stage.
Thinking of leaving Central Coast around 11
With a break on the way, I will probably arrive at Bretti camp around 2.30.
Tentatively thinking of departing Bretti Friday. A few days either way is not out of the question.

Fizics
07-05-2015, 03:15 PM
I plan to leave late Monday morning, might see you Allan along the way. Not about the length of my stay.

uwahl
08-05-2015, 08:20 PM
I should be able to now get there on Tuesday in the mid arvo. See you all there.

Ulrich

glend
10-05-2015, 08:43 PM
I'm off to Bretti around noon tomorrow. Did a ring around today an it looks like we'll have six, plenty of room for more. See you there.

Allan_L
11-05-2015, 11:26 AM
11:25 and I am off to Bretti.
UHF 18 on the road

uwahl
12-05-2015, 05:16 PM
I am going to be a day late - driving to pick up some groceries on Mon and the "check engine" warning light came on. It turns out that one of the leads to the fuel injectors had come loose but its put me a day behind. Last time it was a gas leak in the van on the day I was to go to Lostock.

AARRGGHH! :mad2::mad2::mad2:

GTB_an_Owl
12-05-2015, 06:14 PM
i should be there to-morrow (wednesday)

geoff

Allan_L
13-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Brilliant skies Mon Tuesday.
Bit cloudy today.
Forecast fine tomorrow.
Plenty of space left (pun intended)
Plan to stay until Friday.

glend
16-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Returned yesterday from Bretti. As Allan_L said in his mid-week update it was a great week with plenty of dark sky across the week. We had a little cloud around on Wednesday night, but Monday,Tuesday, and Thursday were long dark sessions. When you get astronomical darkness from 7pm it gives you long sessions, and most of us gave up for sleep before the dew or cold drove us undercover. It was cold, as Bretti can be, with recorded temp of 1.8C on one night.

Sky Quality Meter readings were: Monday 21.42, Tuesday 21.43, and Thursday 21.47. These are not the max recorded at Bretti (which is 21.77) but can be attributed to the 'light pollution' from the expanse of the Milky Way directly overhead.

Attendees: Scott (Skullmurphy), Allan_L, Uwahl, Geoff (Owl), Fizics, and myself.

I am sure everyone in attendance will have more to say about this past week, in which we seemed to get the best of the weather.

While at Bretti a travelling couple advised us of a possible great dark sky location further north that would suit astronomy; its north of Manila, at Glen Riddle Recreation Reserve (near Split Rock Dam). You can find the details of this location in the Camp7 book location number 352. I will start another Star Party thread for a possible trip to Glen Riddle Reserve leter this winter.

Here are a couple of my images from Bretti:

http://www.astrobin.com/full/180326/0/

http://www.astrobin.com/full/180325/0/

Allan_L
16-05-2015, 03:54 PM
YES, that was the best week of observing at Bretti for months!
Thanks to everyone who came and made it a Star Party!
Absolutely MARVELLOUS that !!!
And that is why we keep coming back.

uwahl
16-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Great sky at Bretti and good company. Some frustration at my lack of imaging success (third session) but am making progress. The trip was somewhat spoiled by a cow who early this morning decided to charge my mount! By the time I got out of the van the mount was on the ground and the animal had its head under the tarp still banging into the mount.

External inspection revealed that both motor covers (plastic) were cracked. but no other obvious damage. I won't be able to have a look under the hood to see if there is any internal damage until tomorrow - just arrived back home. The EQ 8 tripod and mount head is a solid piece of kit - if it had been a dob or if I had the optics on the mount the damage would have been considerable.

A rethink re telescope security is needed. Star pickets and fencing wire? rifle? grenade launcher? I'm up for all out cow war right now!

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

uwahl
16-05-2015, 06:02 PM
I am definitely getting a freezer suit. Its bloody cold up there.

Ulrich

glend
16-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear that Ulrich. I hope the damage is minimal. As one who has had a 'cow event' myself at night, something will have to be done. That's the second cow attact in the past eight months. I noticed that there were a couple of bulls in that group and they are the likely antagonists. Might be time to go elsewhere when the cows are allowed onto the reserve.:sadeyes:

skullmurphy
17-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

First of all lets hope that Ulrich didn't suffer too much damage from the cow stampede after I left the campground.

Thanks to Glen, Toby, Allan_L, Geoff Owl, John and Ulrich for making my first Bretti Starcapade so interesting and fun...

Also in the photos below Toby is Glen's dog and unfortunately John (fizics) isn't in the photo's at all because he had left earlier in the day...

We all had our technical issues during the week but still came out smiling...

The week for me was a test on a few fronts with the results shown below...

Camp Bretti May 2015

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=182237&stc=1&d=1431787077

Dreaded Cows

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=182238&stc=1&d=1431787077

Skull's hired monster camper trailer

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=182239&stc=1&d=1431787305

Group Photo 1 - Geoff, Glen, Skull, Toby, Ulrich

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=182240&stc=1&d=1431787305

Group Photo 2 - Geoff, Glen, Allan_L, Toby, Ulrich

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=182241&stc=1&d=1431787305

I got there late on Monday in one piece despite the camper trailer having faulty electric brakes making for a rather hairy trip to the camp....

The camper although strong as an ox being a full off road soft floor model with oodles of room and quite weighty I feel that my camper search due to setup time and routine being somewhat cumbersome has steered me toward a Cub Camper hard floor model so if anybody has one to sell please contact me....

The telescope gave some spectacular views of Omega, The Jewel Box, The Leo Triplet athough Jupiter and Saturn were disappointing at higher powers due to an early onset of dew from which I had no defence due to no dew heaters and the plummetting temperatures. Another astronomical purchase
coming up.

As Ulrich has said earlier the use of a Freezer Suit would have been great as it was really FREEEEEEEZZZZZZING as the nights went on.... Geoff mark me down for one on your next order 2XL....:D:D:D.....

Finally concerning the cows maybe we set aside a 12v battery with an electric fence around our perimeter with some red LED lighting facing outwards so outsiders can see it so as not to interfere with our night seeing.... Its just a thought.....

Thanks again fellas for a fun and enthralling trip away.... Can't wait for the next one.....

GTB_an_Owl
17-05-2015, 04:00 PM
home at 3pm sunday
a great 4 days away yet again
thanks for the company guys
you didn't miss much by going home before me
couple of showers on friday afternoon and during the nite - completely clouded out
sat nite cloudy with some sucker holes later in the nite
beautiful sunday morning while packing up

looking forward to next time allready
Oh! - and the bull was only a little one that attacked the silver, three legged one of Ulrich's

geoff

uwahl
18-05-2015, 03:57 PM
It may only have been a little bull, Geoff, but it was big enough to beat the snot out of my mount! I have had a thought that it may have been the tarp covering the mount flapping in the wind that annoyed him.

Ulrich

PS Where is one of these when you need one to kidnap the bulls :ship2:

Allan_L
18-05-2015, 04:44 PM
I am just glad I stayed up the extra time to pack my scope away Thursday night (ready for the trip home Friday morning).
It was very vulnerable and parked in an enticing position to any near sighted bull every other night.
Perhaps we need to circle the wagons closer in future.
Noticeably this happened when you were alone, right?

I have seen several camping groups using star pickets and rope there before.
I thought it was just to reserve their sites.
I wonder if it would keep the bovines out of the area.
Its bad enough the packages they leave behind without physical damage.

However, lets not paint too dark a picture. (Inverse pun intended)
Bretti is still the best dark site (available free to the public) within a days drive of Sydney. {IMHO}
I for one will be heading back there regularly.
I may be a bit more cautious with what I leave out unattended overnight in future though.

GTB_an_Owl
18-05-2015, 05:11 PM
i guess the odds were increased by the fact there were over 50 of them roaming about

most i have ever seen

geoff

skullmurphy
21-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

Well I am glad I wheeled the scope back under cover after each night of viewing as I could hear the buggers munching on the grass all around my site the last night.....

And yes after much investigation and thanks to the Bretti trip which opened my eyes to the pros and cons of off road, semi off road and on road, soft floor and hard floor and ease of towing and setup and setdown I am about to go down the central coast to pickup my 2011 Cub Supamatic Regal with Transcontinental Pack (semi off road) and a heap of accessories.....

It looks really well looked after and definitely not the monster that I took to Bretti.....

Will put up pics when I bring it home.....

See ya Skull:thumbsup::thumbsup:

glend
23-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Anyone considering Bretti for the June New Moon period?

Weather permitting, there is good darkness from Thursday 11th of June through the following Friday the 19th (New Moon is on Wedneday the 17th). The Moon does not rise until 0156 on the 12th and from then on it rises later and later until it only reappears setting in early darkness on the 19th. That means the darkness starts only three weeks away from this weekend, or less if you go up on Thursday the 11th..That timing avoids the June long weekend.

Of course we will need to address 'cow protection' contingencies.

Scott looking forward to seeing pics of the new camper.

Allan
23-05-2015, 03:42 PM
I will be going somewhere, most likely on Saturday the 13th for 4 nights. At this stage I will plan on Bretti, but that is weather dependant. At the first sign of doubtful skies I will be heading inland, most likely around Coolah.

glend
01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
For all the Bretti thread followers, or casual readers, please have a look at my thread on the upcoming Winter Solstice and extended dark period leading up to it. The thread is here:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=1179050#post117905 0

The point being, that the 12 day period from about the 10th through the 21st is going to be the longest (potentiallydarkest) nights available to us for the 2015 year - make use of it whether you go to Bretti, elsewhere, or stay at home.

Allan
04-06-2015, 11:03 AM
I've had a slight change in my roster which works out better. Provided the weather is ok, I am leaving on Monday the 15th. New moon is the 17th.

Allan_L
04-06-2015, 11:32 AM
I was thinking Tuesday 9th myself Allan. (edit: NOT Monday 8th as it is a Public Holiday)
Moonrise is at, or after, midnight from thence on.

Going up the week before new moon worked out perfectly last month.
and / or ... there is always the following week.

Allan
04-06-2015, 12:57 PM
No worries Allan. Observing the week before new moon does seem to pay off often. I go away for work on the 9th, so I won't be able to join you then.

glend
04-06-2015, 01:43 PM
I am struggling with a foot injury at the moment and can't walk without a cane so I am not sure about when I will go up to Bretti.

Allan_L
04-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Sorry to hear you are having problems Glen.
Hope you are back on your feet soon!

Just checked long range forcast...
not so good for 10/11/12 June (showers nightly)
also 15th.

Looks like I may defer to week commencing 15th June afterall.

But as per our experience lately, I expect multiple changes to these forecasts, daily.

One thing for certain, Freezer Suits Mandatory :cold::campfire::cold:

Allan
04-06-2015, 06:35 PM
I see they are forecasting snow at Chaffey Dam tonight. It was very cold at SPSP considering the 3000 feet altitude, but I was toasty warm. Thank god for Geoff's suits.

Allan_L
10-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Doesn't look like good forecast for next week either. :(
Do you have an alternate plan Allan/Glen?

glend
10-06-2015, 09:33 AM
I am still unsure if I could go regardless of the weather, however just had a look at the extended forecast and there is a fairly large rain mass showing as building over central Australia heading our way, along with the usual High Pressure coastal cloud. The Accuweather Extended forecast for Gloucester shows shows/cloud/ etc throughout next week. I can't see how we could get away from that even with a more western destination, but these things do change and bear watching for the next few days.

Thankfully, I have been able to image for the past few nights before the moon rose. Allan-L maybe the Pony Club is an option for this Saturday but I can't tell from the forecast i have seen.

Allan_L
10-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Weather Channel paints a very bleak wet picture over the entire State (plus some).

:question: JULY

(Also, as Glen says, Pony Club this Saturday is an option)

GTB_an_Owl
10-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Pony Club might clear after midnite according to 7Timer

as far as Bretti goes - if you never ever go, you never ever know

7Timer is changing daily (as usual) for Bretti
i think we just have to get ready to go and wait and see
we can always sit under an awning and deplete our alcohol supplies for a couple of days

geoff

glend
10-06-2015, 01:26 PM
True that Geoff. Let's wait and see what happens over the next few days. The New Moon is not until mid-next week - fingers crossed.

Allan
10-06-2015, 01:34 PM
I am keen to watch origin next Wednesday anyway. So Thursday is the new plan for me. The moon is not a problem for a few days, plus on Saturday is the nice conjunction with Jupiter and Venus.

With all the moisture around this might have to be an inland trip.

uwahl
10-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Have fun guys. I am off for a 4 month trip, first to central Queensland then NT, WA and SA. Back end of October.

Other than the cracked plastic motor covers the only other problem arising from the bull attack was a slight misalignment of the main screw holding the mount head to the tripod - easily fixed by loosening some bolts and realigning. Having had a look at the guts of the mount I now know why it is so heavy. The cradles / brackets holding the motors / gears etc are SOLID thick aluminium / steel.

I will be taking the scope with me. See you all in November.

Ulrich :hi:

Allan
11-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Have a great trip. Post us some photos as you travel around.

glend
12-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Looking at the most recent extended forecast on Accuweather this morning and Bretti (Gloucester area forecast) is not looking good next week until some improvement around Thursday or Friday for a day or two. However, when I switched to look at Tamworth area the forecast was much better, plenty of sunshine/clear skies from Thursday onward. Of course the Tamworth area has Lake Chaffey, and a potential new site north of Manila (Glen Riddle Reserve).

glend
12-06-2015, 12:54 PM
I now have to be in Brisbane on Sunday the 21st for a family matter and I will be driving up, so it looks like I am out of any June New Moon astro activities.

Allan_L
12-06-2015, 03:53 PM
June is looking like a washout for me as well.

My daughter has just bought her first house (well unit) in Adelaide and I may be helping transport some of her stuff over the next couple of weeks.

GTB_an_Owl
12-06-2015, 05:11 PM
so am i going up next thursday on my own ???

geoff

glend
12-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Geoff, I believe Allan is going up on Thursday or that was his plan if you look further back in this thread (post 208). "So Thursday is the new plan for me"

Fizics
13-06-2015, 08:46 PM
I am tied up next week for stocktaking and with poor weather reports its no go for me. Got my eye on the pony club for next month.

Allan
13-06-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm still hoping the weather co-operates by the end of the week. Definitely giving Bretti a miss this time though with the weather pattern as it is. I will be heading inland this time.

I will be up for Bretti again come July new moon if the weather co-operates. I hope we can get a quorum then.

GTB_an_Owl
15-06-2015, 11:17 PM
looks like i am out too for this trip(june)

have to save my pennies for an impending knee operation

geoff

Allan_L
16-06-2015, 08:29 AM
My (younger) brother has just suffered a heart attack,
working out at the gym.
Luckily the gym is in the same building as his doctor and he was transported to Gosford hospital, and on the operating table quickly.
He is now being looked after by Reggie and crew in the Coronary Care unit.
But I will be ferrying my parents to and fro for the next few days.
Still watching weather and considering Bretti towards end of this week, but no guarantees.
After that I am off to Melbourne and Adelaide to help my daughter move into her new home.
I will be back in time for July Bretti from 13 July (weather dependent).

PS: Sorry for the inclement weather guys, I bought a boat (small tinnie) about half an hour before this rain started last Wednesday. :shrug:

glend
16-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Allan sorry to hear about your brothers health problem, I hope he has a speedy recovery - and stays away from the gym for awhile.

glend
02-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Hope your brother has recovered well. It's been pretty cold of late perhaps that has diminished interest in the July New Moon?

Allan_L
06-07-2015, 09:10 AM
You could be right Glen, ...
Seems 7timer is predicting SNOW at Bretti next Sunday !!!!
:cold: :cold: :cold:

GTB_an_Owl
06-07-2015, 02:06 PM
that would be interesting!

geoff

Allan_L
06-07-2015, 05:35 PM
I will be packing a Hepworth freezer suit (available from GTB), and associated warming paraphernalia.
What's everyone else doing?

GTB_an_Owl
06-07-2015, 09:09 PM
i'm thinking about it
depends on finances

geoff

Allan
06-07-2015, 10:33 PM
I was out west a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was a bit cold, but never sure when wearing the freezer suit. When I packed it in I turned on some lights and discovered the entire dob, base and all had a solid layer of ice covering it. Now I've never seen that before.

When I got up in the morning the tent looked like an igloo. The best 2 things I own on those nights is one of Geoffs freezer suits and my incredibly warm Kathmandu sleeping bag.

I'm up for more observing this new moon, probably early next week. I will keep an eye out for everyone's plans, if there is any.

glend
07-07-2015, 08:31 AM
My attendance will depend on the weather forecast and my health, right now the observatory is my comfortable option.

glend
07-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Just saw a weather report on tv that says there will be snow on the weekend around Barrington Tops and north on the ranges to Qld associated with a big storm system coming our way. It seems that waiting till later that week might be prudent.

glend
10-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Just checked the extended forecast through next week for both Gloucester and out as far as Coonabarabran, and it's looking bleak for the whole coming week. There are a couple of possible single sunny days but bracketed by cloud and rain, and no information to assume that even a single night could be useful at this point. Hopefully it will change as we get into next week and maybe blow away, but the charts show an east coast Low forming up and that's never good news.

GTB_an_Owl
10-07-2015, 06:21 PM
7Timer says snow on sunday nite / monday morning at bretti

geoff

Rick Petrie
10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
You'll need to start selling "Ski suits" rather than freezer suits Geoff.:P
I think I might start thinking of a trip to Bretti in August.
Need to get scope out under some dark stuff.

gmbfilter
11-07-2015, 07:57 AM
I think it will be snowing at Terrigal on Sunday

glend
11-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Not impressed so far. All the hype about this weather system has yet to be realised around my place. I had the observatory all sealed up and gear in the house and then the cloud cleared off by 10pm last night to reveal the best seeing in a month. A quick roll out of the dob gave me three hours of wonderful visual observation before the moon rose. Sky quality reading was 20.2 I'll take that.

Allan
13-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Tuesday night looks like it is going to be fine so I'm going to head of to Bretti on Tuesday morning. Just for one or two nights this time as I can see the next front coming through on Thursday.

glend
13-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Allan if you ready to go it looks like tonight might be good. Looking out to the west from the ridge on the peninsula here is it clear as far as the eye can see out over the Watagans - not a cloud in the sky. I can't say for sure what Bretti is like but a call to the visitors centre might bring some good news. There is still alittle wind, but your not imaging so it is not a concern. Good luck.
I was outside last night and it was crystal clear, sure the wind was there but the SQM was showing 20.56, which is pretty good. This cold dense, and low humidity air, seems to promote good seeing.

Allan
13-07-2015, 03:14 PM
I would have gone tonight but I just got home, which means I would be setting up in the dark later tonight. So I will just head off in the morning.

glend
14-07-2015, 04:50 AM
Just finished up a long night of imaging, luckily I can stay inside for most of it while the camera and scope run. Allan best of luck up at Bretti hope the sky is wonderful. I recorded 20.86 on the SQM here at 3am this morning, and it really was the best night seeing conditions in a long time. Let us know what you find.:thumbsup:

uwahl
18-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Hi guys. I am parked in rest stop near Winton in central Queensland. Weather is cool but not really cold. I haven't seen a cloud for aweek and the seeing is brilliant. Last night I watched a mag 6 or 7 star for some minutes - rock steady, not a twinkle. Humidity is 20 % which helps the superb seeing. I used a 6mm to view the core of Omega Centauri at 330X and the stars were rock steady. No need for dew heaters. All this while road trains that are lit up like Christmas trees roar past 300 metres away. Can't wait to get into a really dark site.

Anyone make it to Bretti? I have heard the weather has been poor down your way.

Take care all.
Ulrich

uwahl
18-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Hi guys. I am parked in rest stop near Winton in central Queensland. Weather is cool but not really cold. I haven't seen a cloud for aweek and the seeing is brilliant. Last night I watched a mag 6 or 7 star for some minutes - rock steady, not a twinkle. Humidity is 20 % which helps the superb seeing. I used a 6mm to view the core of Omega Centauri at 330X and the stars were rock steady. No need for dew heaters. All this while road trains that are lit up like Christmas trees roar past 300 metres away. Can't wait to get into a really dark site.

Anyone make it to Bretti? I have heard the weather has been poor down your way.

Take care all.
Ulrich

uwahl
18-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Oops sorry for the double post - must have double tapped with the stylus.

glend
18-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Good to hear from you Ulrich, glad you are getting to use your scope up there. Yes weather has been terrible.

glend
20-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Dare we even discuss a trip to Bretti in August (New Moon on Saturday the 15th). Surely it has to be a bit warmer by then. Heck Spring is only 6 weeks away. Back on the 10th of July Rick suggested he might be available for August.

Allan_L
20-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Hoping for the week commencing Monday 10 August for several days.

Allan_L
25-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Just 16 more sleeps!
Hands up interested parties. (weather permitting of course)
Even if you just want to come for the newmoon weekend or whatever.

Allan
25-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Friday the 14th looks the most likely for me. Then staying for 3 nights. I remember our August trip 2 years ago was stinking hot. We were all hiding out under the trees in our shorts.

glend
25-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Oh please yes, I could use some hot weather. I will be going, pretty sure, but exact days depend on forecast. I have a new RC8 that I want to try out - if I ever get it optically aligned.

Allan
25-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Nice, a new telescope. Have you posted pictures anywhere? Those RC scopes look really good.

I met Peter Read from SDM today. He was in Newcastle so came over for a few hours chat. What a top guy he is.

glend
31-07-2015, 11:28 AM
So Bretti in August, I saw Rick P mention it in his birthday wishes to Geoff, and I know a couple of others are thinking of it as well. The New Moon is on the 15th, just two weeks away, and I think Allan_L mentioned going up as early as the 10th. Hopefully, we can have a early spring this year, after the miserable July. Looking at the Accuweather extended forecast for Gloucester it shows four 20C sunny clear days from Monday the 10th (at this point), a bit too far out to be confident but promising. I will make every effort to attend.

Rick Petrie
01-08-2015, 02:13 PM
I think I probably will be leaving on Wednesday the 12th and maybe having four nights there coming home Sunday.
Hoping for good weather as well. Might even clean the mirror on the 14".
Anyone else traveling up on Wed. morning.

GTB_an_Owl
01-08-2015, 11:52 PM
i could maybe go thursday
(tennis wed nite)

geoff