PDA

View Full Version here: : Tak tripod legs on a Skywatcher tripod?

LewisM
01-01-2015, 08:10 PM
I really liked the solid mahogany legs of the Tak mount I had, and am considering to fit a set (or similar) to the AZ-EQ6. Does anyone know if the interface spacing of the Tak legs is the same, or at least similar, to the spacing of the Skywatcher tripod head?

Failing that, I think Berlebach makes a set for the NEQ6/AZ-EQ6, though in beech?

beren
01-01-2015, 08:40 PM
If you decide the Berlebach route have used these guys before and where great http://www.bigbinoculars.com/obwtri.htm you can get the legs in Jarrah {beautiful wood}. Think ADM sell mount heads if you go custom made

glend
01-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Any timber leg is the going to flex more than the eq6 stainless steel tripod. Hope your not imaging.

RB
02-01-2015, 02:20 AM
All my DSO images (see signature) have been taken on TAK wooden tripod legs, carrying either the EM 400 or 200 and TOA 130.
So solid, beautiful to look at and have great damping ability.

Love the Mahogany.

:P

troypiggo
02-01-2015, 08:29 AM
I've done the opposite - used EQ6 stainless tripod legs for Tak EM200 Jr mount. Compatible because EQ6 is virtually a EM200 clone.

LewisM
02-01-2015, 09:17 AM
That is what I am thinking Troy - the EM200 legs should fit the NEQ6/AZ-EQ6 tripod head.

Got the old Tak ones for sale? :)

LewisM
02-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Well, Berlebach Planet (with head plate made as part of the price) $918 delivered.

Tak Mahogany comes about the same.

Decisions, decisions...

I just kinda like the Tak more because they are EACH one piece Mahogany (as opposed to 3 or 4 piece per leg Berlebach), and VERY VERY thick. Vibration dampening far superior to the stainless in this case.

Or, I could back fill the Skywatcher legs with lead shot. Might be cheaper, but infinitely heavier!!!

Kunama
02-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Why not make them Lewis,
get a some Tas Oak and Jarrah and laminate them using a waterproof glue. Nice little project for you. For the attachment go to a bike shop and get some Quick Release Skewers just like Takkyhashish use. 3 Coats of gloss estapol.

LewisM
02-01-2015, 12:27 PM
That's require HAVING the right power tools Matt, which I no longer do - IF I wanted to do it RIGHT rather than it just look like a DIY. The fastidious perfectionist demands this aspect.

I could make the top of the wood cylindrical to fit the existing Skywatcher attachment points - use a dowel of right thickness inlet into the end of the Jarrah beams. Metal feet I can probably rob from a surveyor's tripod from Cash Converters or somewhere.

Hmmm, maybe I CAN do this....

LewisM
02-01-2015, 12:29 PM
If ever there was a demotivational reason, there it is... :) :P :)

Just joshing Andrew.

RB
02-01-2015, 12:32 PM
And here I was contemplating putting the TAK legs up for sale.

Oh well....... "Withdrawn".

:lol:

LewisM
02-01-2015, 12:34 PM
I'll swap em for a 5 MW laser...

Oh, I meant mW :P

RB
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Why would I want to downgrade to 5?

:poke:

troypiggo
02-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Bought the mount used and it didn't come with legs. Hence the cheap EQ6 option. :)

beren
02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
From what I have seen posted on the Tak yahoo group the wood used in the Tak tripods are made of Philippine Luan mahogany, not a true mahogany but a cheaper alternative. Works and looks good though :) For what's it worth another alternative is the Tak large metal tripod, new price very expensive but sometimes they pop up on Astromart for reasonable prices. I got one through that method and was easy to get adapters made up for my mounts.

RB
02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Oh beautiful setup Stewart !
Looks nice doesn't it Lewis?
:poke:

Steffen
02-01-2015, 10:31 PM
It's actually ash wood, but they will varnish it in a range of colours, including camouflage ;)

The Planet is a very massive tripod, it dwarfs the HEQ5 Pro mount I have riding on top of it. It'll carry 100kg of weight (140kg with double clamps), and will not conceivably flex under any rig I've seen people use for imaging. The original HEQ5 Pro legs are like straws in comparison.

Cheers
Steffen.

LewisM
02-01-2015, 10:35 PM
I have decided on the Planet for now, unless Claude confirms that an AZ-EQ6/NEQ6 will fit the EM200 plate without modification. (anyone else know???)

Kunama
03-01-2015, 06:42 AM
One difference is that the centre bolt on the EM200 is bigger Ø than the Skywatcher one so the thread in the tripod plate that holds the bolt 'captive' won't hold the SW bolt.

LewisM
03-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Then Berlebach wins :) The funds from the GPD2 sale goes all for it.

Steffen, did you get your Planet through Teleskop-Express? Or, miracles of miracles, is there a local distributor?

LewisM
03-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Planet (tallest version, with AZ-EQ6 head) ordered through Teleskop-Express. Total was $797 Aus DELIVERED (Paypal's exchange rate was terrible - cost $30 MORE than it would have with the official exchange rate today for the Euro). I went cheap-skate and opted NOT for the express post version, $200 more expensive :)

Now to recoup costs selling the stainless tripod :)

Steffen
03-01-2015, 05:41 PM
No, I ordered from Berlebach direct. They are very forthcoming with technical information and happy to accommodate customisation requests. I also ordered the double clamps and asked them to make the leg spread angle a bit larger (30 degrees). After I received the tripod I discovered why the default leg spread is the way is it – with the raised spreader for 30 degrees it is trickier to get the tray in between the legs :P

Cheers
Steffen.

gb_astro
24-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Probably a bit late but I see Bintel sells at least one Berlebach tripod:

http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tripods/Alt-Az-Mounts/Berlebach-Ash-Tripod/1879/productview.aspx

gb.