PDA

View Full Version here: : Nova last night? (1/1/2015)

flavius
01-01-2015, 06:07 PM
I could swear that I witnessed a nova last night, between 2 and 4 am in the Eastern sky. 3 other friends witnessed it.

Just wondering whether anyone has heard about a nova, can't find any source online.

Happy new year everybody btw :)

PeterEde
01-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Likely an iridium flare or meteorite coming straight at you.
I seen the same thing a few months back

flavius
01-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Yeah having read up on novae they last a few weeks. So it must have been a meteorite coming straight at us... So weird, it happened in the blink of an eye.

Actually you're right, it must have been an iridium flame, because it was really just a point of light.

Suzy
04-01-2015, 03:11 PM
It does certainly sound like an Iridium flare :D.
I often wonder what people think of these who don't know what they are.

Iridium flares, especially when they're really bright ones, are super fun to watch and very addictive! The reactions on peoples faces when they see them for the first time are priceless.

They are very regular- check out the Heavens Above (http://www.heavens-above.com/) site (I think once you put in in your co-ords it remembers it or just sign up as a member) and it'll give you times for your area. The magnitude -8 ones are awesome. Click on the date and it will take you to the chart. Below the chart is another little table and it'll give you the distance to the flare centre. The closer you are to the flare centre, the brighter it will appear to be from your location.

There is also a phone app. called ISS tracker (does both the ISS & Iridiums) which will notify you. I have mine set for 30 mins notice which gives me enough time to work out where it's going to flare.

PeterEde
04-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Look for the ISS tracker app for mobiles. Pretty good info on iridium sighting as well as the ISS