PDA

View Full Version here: : Interstellarum - Deep Sky Atlas (now in english)

jamespierce
31-12-2014, 11:01 AM
<plug>

I got to know a German fella Ronald Stoyan who is the author of many great astronomy books like the Cambridge Messier one etc last year when he spent 8 months down south and we went on a few observing trips. He would bring this beautiful waterproof atlas he had created with him - far better to use than Uranometria, specifically designed for visual obsessors with 4 to 16 inch telescopes (designating what you can see with 4,8,12 and larger inches). It had just two problems... 1) It was published in German ... 2) It was sold out in the waterproof edition.

Ronald and his publishing company along with Cambridge have now produced the english version of this atlas. It is beautiful, practical and hands down the nicest star atlas I've ever used.

Details here and ordering link here - http://www.deepskyatlas.com
(http://www.deepskyatlas.com)
Having spent some time talking with Ronald about the Atlas I have some idea of how much effort it took to produce it, for example approximately 45 nights down south here to observe and check every object in the LMC alone. It is not a cheap atlas if you get the field edition but I promise you it will be worth every cent for you. Seriously, buy the field edition.

</plug>

PS: I have two copies of Uranometria which I will now happily sell - The three volumes including the Deep Sky Catalog Guide and the single volume version.

rally
31-12-2014, 03:15 PM
James,

Found the Waterproof Field Edition here - its cheaper and delivery is free.

www.bookdepository.com/Interstellarum-Deep-Sky-Atlas-Ronald-Stoyan/9781107503397

Cheers

Rally

DonB
01-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I read on CN that it only covers constellations visible from the northern hemisphere. Is this true?

barx1963
01-01-2015, 11:34 AM
The website that has sample charts is down at the moment, but from memory it does cover the entire sky.
I have been thinking about this atlas for a while, personally I don't like coloured charts for night time use, one of the strengths of U2000 is that it is monochrome, tried several charts that use colour and always go back to mono!
Will be interested to hear what people think though.

Malcolm

barx1963
01-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Found a promo video here http://vimeo.com/103987235
Certainly has some innovative ideas:
- filter recommendations for nebula
- indicators giving separations and PAs for doubles stars
- colour coding for aperture

Also has he flicks through the pages it is obvious it covers southern areas.

Malcolm

PeterHA
01-01-2015, 01:18 PM
All,
It has the entire Sky and is not limited to northern hemi.
I have it in German and use it with my 12".
I agree with others, it is the best atlas out there and it is made for hands on visual observing.
Great to have now a English version.

jamespierce
02-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Of course it appears black and white under red light, but the organisation of objects and their visibility is clever - it's based on both size and colour of font etc so it all still makes sense in the dark. Large type - easy to see, small type it will be harder. Having the ideal filter and so-on indicated is very nice. Lots of common names and all in all a much more attractive and readable package than Uranometria.

RobF
12-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Looks very impressive. Even for an astrophotographer who wouldn't dare step outside without a laptop.
Thanks for the video link Malcolm.