PDA

View Full Version here: : Horsey!

barx1963
28-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Well I have managed to formally record an observation of the Horsehead Nebula (Barnard 33).
I actually have seen it on several occasions starting with November 20 at Heathcote through the ASV 25" and twice more at home with my 20". Tonight it was really obvious once a UHC filter is applied and I am certain I saw the actual shape of the head so all up I think that counts as an observation. I was a little surprised how big it was, I had been lead to believe it was much smaller, but at 150x it was large and obvious.

Malcolm

pgc hunter
28-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Nice job! I'd love to see it from a dark sky with a large scope one day. I saw it with the 12" the other day with H-Beta filter. Pretty much right at the threshold of averted vision and appeared as a large "bay". It is surprisingly large.

Rob_K
28-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Excellent Malcolm! I've only seen it once, through a 22" at SV. Wasn't a great view but sufficient to vaguely make out an approximate shape. When you really analyse it, it's a lot of fuss about very little at all but somehow the Horsehead has come to represent the ultimate attainment for a visual observer. One day I might see it through my 4.5", if someone would subsidise a trip into space... :P

Cheers -

dannat
28-12-2014, 05:45 PM
don't give up hope Rob -there is a report of it being visible in 80mm bios on CN -by phil harrington, author tuba

mozzie
28-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Seen it when I had my 14" Meade I few years ago with h/beta filter but was not able to see a definite shape and very averted vision...a hard bugger to see..
Nice to see binos seeing it as I have just ordered 2 uhc filters you just never know

barx1963
29-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Got it again tonight! The real trick is getting to see the faint nebulosity behind it (IC 434) then detecting where that glow is absent. Even with 20" it still needs a UHC filter to make it pop out.

Cheers

Malcolm

barx1963
29-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Thanks Rob
Yeah I know about it's iconic status. To be honest I had stopped looking a long time ago but just had to give it a go when the opportunity came up with the 25". Still its a nice one to knock off!!

Malcolm

barx1963
29-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Sab
Thanks for that. You will have to come up to Snake Valley in March so you can peer at it in the 20"!!

Malcolm

erick
30-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Good news Malcolm! Only once for me in the 12" in the early hours at Snake valley camp one year. Not a scrap of even red light nearby for a few hours, exit pupil carefully selected, H-Beta filter, gentle rocking the scope to get a motion effect enhancement. Worked on it carefully for an hour. Just made it out. Never again so far and I've tried a couple more times. Looking forward to seeing it in 24+" some day. :)

barx1963
31-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Erick
You are a better man than I nabbing it in a 12"!! I tried quite a few times without success, but I can hazard a guess that if I did use a 12" under really dark skies, it would be easier now I have a picture of what I am trying for.

Malcolm