PDA

View Full Version here: : Real *Premium* Chinese Binoculars...?

janoskiss
01-09-2006, 11:49 PM
AOE have got some new binos in recently they call MX Ultra. These appear to be the same binos sold by several companies in the States, e.g., Astro-Physics, Oberwerk, as premium Chinese made binos, viable alternatives to much more expensive Japanese brands. See: http://www.aoe.com.au/binoculars.html and look for the MX Ultras.

Here is one thread on CN (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1125977&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=1&vc=&PHPSESSID=) with lots of links discussing these binos. They sound very promising.

They start at under $400 for the 10x50 and $550 for the 10.5x70 and 15x70 models, which seem to be aiming to be poor (or not-so-rich) man's Fujinon FMT-SX 10x70 and 16x70, which I see listed at Andrews for $1500 and $1800. :eyepop: btw geez look at Andrews go! they've taken on heaps of premium gear lately.

Oh looks like Andrews got the same binos in as well. Listed for even less but I'm sure is room to haggle with AOE as well. Andrews calls them MB (Millitary) Ultra.

Boy oh boy. when you thought you could not afford to buy any more toys... :D

johnno
02-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the info,on this new Binocular range Steve,

That is very interesting,I will have to check out the CN,threads.

Regards.
John

janoskiss
20-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, I traded in my 20x90 for one of these new 10x50 MX Ultras. I never got much use oout of the 90mm: just too big and very uncomfortable 40+ degrees above horizon on a regular camera tripod. Really needs a more elaborate counterweighted setup that I cannot be bothered with right now. So a swap for a more usable higher quality pair seemed to make sense. Just checked the forecast. It does not look like I'll get to use the MX Ultra on the night sky in the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

The binos look good. Very dark reflections off the lenses. Feels very solid (and heavy too). EPs are the most comfortable I've ever seen on binos. Individual focus is much easier to use than I thought. A lot easier than diopter adjustment that I am always having trouble with on more conventional binos. From a quick look in daylight, it looks very sharp right across the large FOV. I'll post more about them once I get to try them out at night. (hopefully before 2007)

johnno
21-09-2006, 02:42 AM
I will be looking forward to your final review of them Steve.

Hope the weather is Favourable soon.

Regards.
John

janoskiss
27-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Well blah bah. Not exactly blown away by their edge performance. Only been looking from light polluted skies mostly under poor sky conditions so not much else I can comment on. Strangely enough, sharpest point in FOV is not in the centre but about 2/3 of the way from inner edge of field (i.e., the one near your nose) to outer. On the inner edge, bright stars grow into great big balloons (on the outer not so big baloons/comets).

But take what I'm saying with a pinch or two of salt. I have never used any really high quality binos and really don't know where these fit in the budget-to-ultimate spectrum.

janoskiss
29-09-2006, 11:36 AM
I have been spending a bit more time with the 10x50 MX Ultra. Just briefly, some impressions:

* It's the best bino I've ever had or used.
* It is still far from perfect as I noted above. I was expecting a bit too much wrt field curvature, given the advertising hype. In practical use it seems to matter much less than it seems when you are specifically looking for it.
* Stars seem to have a more brilliant sparkle to them than in any other bino I've used. Clusters look fantastic. I am really looking forward to trying them out under dark skies.
* They are heavy (very heavy for a 50mm) and my arms get tired fairly quickly. It's nice to swap to a lightweight 8x40 after using this beast.