PDA

View Full Version here: : HitechAstro Mount Hub Pro Feedback

stefang
08-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi as a first time poster, I'm interested if anyone on the list has any experience with the Mot Hub Pro from HiTechAstro?

My buddy and I are running 2 x CPC 8" SCT's and are building some custom looms for astroguider, CCD Camera, focuser use. For Dew Controllers we also considered Kendrick DigiFire 10's (which are currently unavailable and being replaced with the DigitFire 12, availability unknown), but after seeing the Mount Hub pro and its integrated Serial Support, manual heater ports and USB hub thought its a better integration option than multiple devices chained together.

Has anyone got feedback on their experience with the unit, as well as any gotchas?

Thanks in advance
Stefan

pmrid
08-12-2014, 01:15 PM
I've had one for about 18 months. I found it flaky in the USB connections and also in establishing the connection to the PC. Sometimes it would and sometimes not. The answer seemed to be the sequence in which you applied power to the Hub. Boot the PC first, wait a bit then power up the Hub. Not all devices would connect through the USB ports (5 of them). Some FWs were just not willing to play the game. I took the Hub off for a while and have only recently put it back into service with a little portable rig.
Peter

LewisM
08-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Heard the same as Peter's experience, hence I have not bought one, and just use a 10 port powered USB from Jaycar for now, a seperate dew heater controller. No other issues.

The powered 10 port USB hub cost $45, which was fine by me. The mount runs through an RS232 converter ex-USB board, as does the guider.

Never had any connection issues whatsoever, and been using this setup with 3 mounts so far (2 Vixens and one Tak)

troypiggo
08-12-2014, 06:54 PM
I've had one for a while. It isn't flaky with USB, you just need to connect the USB lead to computer before power to the MHP.

Paul Haese
08-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I found it cannot be used for remote work at all. I had the same problems. Sequencing power up is really a crock for remote imaging. Essentially it is a good idea but not stable at all. I use it for power only now.

beren
02-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Old thread but just got one of these.....Very nice, needs to be powered up in the correct sequence but had no trouble once that was sorted with all devices working. The latest version seems to be smaller than other pics of the unit I have seen on the net, has six usb ports and two powered cables with male plugs either end. Unfortunately they supply a 0.5m USB 2.0 Cable (A to B) , way to short. Also it seem like you have to have the usb cable from the MHP connect into a powered usb outlet on your laptop/pc. For mounting on a dovetail it would be handy if they could have 1/4 tapped hole or something on the base .

Paul Haese
02-01-2018, 05:26 PM
I need to revise my comments regarding remote work. I had trouble with getting the programme to connect. This has now been resolved with the latest computer systems I am using. I power off and power on the camera, focuser and fans via the switchable power supplies. I power up the computer (FitPC) with the permanent power supply. All USB's run through the MHP except for the cloud sensor and roof controller.

Stuart et al, I power up the MHP pro via an IP switch and that powers up the computer. That does not create any conflicts or problems that I was experiencing before.

I stuck the MHP onto a female clamp which goes on the dove tail on the scope. It would be better if there was a mounting bracket or facilities for a mounting bracket to be attached.