PDA

View Full Version here: : Canon 450D modifications in Oz

Steve_G
25-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

I've just bought a 2nd hand 450D camera that I am only going to use for astrophotography and would like to get it modded. Does anyone know of or recommend someone to do this ? I am in Brisbane but happy to post it.

Also, what is the best mod to do ? I know about removing the filter but should I replace it or leave it as is ?? New to all this.

Thanks

Steve

rcheshire
25-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Steve. There are various opinions about the best way to mod a dslr. I have removed both factory fitted filters on my 1000D and use an Astronomik UV/IR clip-in filter for astro. This is the simplest modification. Auto focus works in this configuration, without going to the trouble of fitting a built-in astro filter or clear glass in place of the IR Cut filter, often recommended to retain AF capability. I guess it may vary between cameras. Personally, after several mods, for sharper images, I recommend not reinstalling the front glass/anti-alias/low pass filter, however named.

These mods often involve replacement of the IR Cut filter with an astro filter - best done in hermetic conditions. A filter is required if you are using refractors/regular camera lenses because some wavelengths do not focus well in the IR range. A clip-in serves the purpose. But this is not a problem with reflective optics and both filters can be removed for a full spectrum mod.

Someone else can point you to a conversion service. No idea, I do them myself.

glend
25-11-2014, 11:58 AM
I have a 450D that I use for astrophotography. After researching mods I decided to leave it alone because of cost, the fact that all of my images are obtained through a scope, and flexibility. Regarding AF, there is no need to use it if your doing your photography through a telescope , it should be turned off- a focusing mask should be used to get best results. Do a General search, there are plenty of articles on the subject, check out Cloudy Nights Forum as well.

Steve_G
25-11-2014, 12:08 PM
I'll be doing all my photography via the 8" meade or 80mm refractor (adding an APO after xmas)

Just want to get some good results and see if down the track and I move to an RC scope and SBIG camera.

The scope will be arriving today, and as I've only ever used the Meade LPI about 10 years ago, all this is new to me.

graham.hobart
25-11-2014, 02:48 PM
there used to be a mob in Melbourne that did mods but I cannot recall the place and I don't think they are still doing it.
Gary Honis has instructions on his web site for DIY.
Also several places in the U.S and elsewhere will do it for a price.
I have used centralds (central DS) in South Korea as they have good service but are not cheap.

5ash
25-11-2014, 05:55 PM
It's camera clinic in Melbourne , I see their web site is still there , so they still do mods on cameras.
Philip

rcheshire
26-11-2014, 09:49 AM
To be clear - The modded camera can be used for daytime work with a custom white balance - retaining AF capability is desirable in this case - otherwise not needed.

Steve_G
26-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll hold out and buy a modded camera. I'll give the 450D a try when it fines up