PDA

View Full Version here: : Alternative to Celestron Cosmos 90GT WiFi

va1erian
20-11-2014, 08:52 PM
A month ago, I wanted to get into astronomy, and decided to buy a beginner's telescope. The Australian Sky&Telescopes magazine promoted the Go-To telescope with control through iPad, Celestron Cosmos 90GT. I thought this was what was required: a 90 mm diameter refractor with automatised and easy travel from star to star.

I went straight away to the overseas shop for cheaper price. B&H Photo had it for US$379 plus US$160 postage which was the cheapest available price around resulting in A$640 (in Australia, it was $800-1000).

Today I went to the newly-opened Costco in Adelaide, and I saw a Celestron Nexstar 90GT telescope for A$229. This was quite a killer price, as the same scope is sold for US$179 in Costco in the US.

This telescope is the same as the WiFi Cosmos version, only without the WiFi. And it has a hand-held piece for steering the telescope (which the WiFi version does not have).

It occurs to me that I could assemble the same telescope what I bought for less. I could get the non-WiFi version for A$229, and the WiFi module for around $120. The Celestron SkyQ Link II WiFi Module is the novelty item at B&H Photo sold for US$95 plus US$9 postage by DHL.

Thus, the same telescope would cost me A$350. Plus I'd have a hand control sold for US$100 in B&H Photo. It's a saving of A$300... or at least A$400 if taking into account the hand control. I feel a bit disappointed.

Actually, now that I know more about the telescopes, I think I should have gotten a 100 mm diameter refractor with the sturdier tripod, for around US$800. It would potentially have a better optics, too. I'd expand its capability with the said WiFi module. This telescope would serve me not only as the beginner's telescope but as an intermediate one, too.

I would like to hear the comments of more experienced colleagues.

julianh72
21-11-2014, 12:52 AM
IIS member "coldnights" (Cathy) can make you an adapter that will work with an iPad or Android tablet:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=108338

I bought a Bluetooth wireless adapter for a Meade LX90 / Celestron NexStar mount, and it works beautifully, allowing full telescope control of either scope from the SkySafari 4 Plus app on my Nexus 4 phone or Nexus 7 tablet.

Highly recommended!

wasyoungonce
21-11-2014, 03:46 PM
You can build your own bluetooth module for ~25, see here. (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=73551&highlight=bluetooth) All you have to do is to identify the Rx/Tx pins and add appropriate power (from the rs232 plug?)

04Stefan07
23-11-2014, 10:18 AM
I can highly recommend coldnights' work and it's very good. Had a bunch of cables made and can also highly recommend them too!

va1erian
23-11-2014, 08:49 PM
I should have posted this topic in the "Beginners' equipment" forum. The telescope is the beginner's one. As a matter of fact, at cloudynights, I was recommended to install an electrical focuser Orion AccuFocus. I did, and it works wonders. I am capable to fine-tune the focus for sharper viewing, and no shaking at that !